Forums

Dubious Game, but a Smothered Mate is a Smothered Mate!

Sort:
ItsEoin

Woohoo!

ElvisFord

Nice!

yasharchessplayer

Nice game Dear ItsEoin

You did lots of sacrifices within the game which some of them were so precious figures e.g. black rook; while no sign of smothering was evident yet. How were you so confident that everything would go in a way that you desire and a smothering checkmate will occur?

However, I was so impressed. welldoneCool

Erik15

well done ! nice mate !

blueemu

You didn't just "get lucky". 20. Rxf2 gets mated after 20. ... Qxa1+ 21. Rf1 Qxf1 mate.

ItsEoin
blueemu wrote:

You didn't just "get lucky". 20. Rxf2 gets mated after 20. ... Qxa1+ 21. Rf1 Qxf1 mate.

I missed that. ;) Thanks for pointing it out! I'm sure I'd have found it in the game, though, it just would have been nice to have seen that beforehand. 

ItsEoin
yasharchessplayer wrote:

Nice game Dear ItsEoin

You did lots of sacrifices within the game which some of them were so precious figures e.g. black rook; while no sign of smothering was evident yet. How were you so confident that everything would go in a way that you desire and a smothering checkmate will occur?

However, I was so impressed. welldone

It just felt right, I guess. I liked the look or the feel or something... I can't really describe it. It just felt good. Haha.

ItsEoin
MelvinDoucet wrote:

That rook sac was pretty bold. Reminded me of the game of the century when Fischer sacked a knight to capture white's e-pawn and open up the door to the white king.

It just looked like it could end up working out. Lotta pressure for Black after it and RxNc3 is a pretty bloody common theme in the Dragon, so I decided to be adventurous and go for it. Good thing it worked out. :)