Forums

Fool's Mate Declined (Seven Times)

Sort:
JBades6310

So here's a little background:

I've been teaching a friend of mine about chess recently, and a few times I've advised him over his shoulder while he played on his account. I think this is a decent way to teach him opening theory. His rating has been inflated (2-300 pts) from only playing games with my guidance, so we wanted to drop his rating a bit before playing another game. To that end, we were resigning games after the first move. We thought a fun way to drop his rating would be to set up the fool's mate as white. However, this proved to be more difficult than we had anticipated:

The fact that a ~1450 player declined the fool's mate seven times to me was peculiar, not to mention hysterical. I hope you enjoy it too.

For in-depth analysis of the fool's mate, see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_mate

After he declined initially, we sent this link in the chatbox, to no reply. Each subsequent decline, we sent the link again. After the fourth we asked, "Are you aware of the fool's mate?" at which point he disabled chat. The fact that he was a US-based, presumably English-speaking player only added to the oddity and hilarity of the "game."

baddogno

It's a funny post, but of course you realize you should be giving your friend advice only in unrated games?  I'm not going to use the word "ch**ting" because that would probably lock the thread, but that is what it was.  

Elubas

shraavanchess2000: but this does not apply to move 2, correct? :)

JBades6310

@shraavanchess2000 haha good points, he must have seen right through our plan! but in actuality, I sincerely believe he just overlooked the mate seven times in a row :)

@baddogno I see what you're saying, I didn't think of the idea to play unrated games, but we definitely will in the future. thanks for the advice

wbilfc

Probably just didn't want to be party to fiddling a players rating!!

Math0t
JBades6310 wrote:

I think this is a decent way to teach him opening theory.

Reading your post I assume there where no bad intentions, but playing rated games with guidance, resigning after the first move and sandbagging are not considered to be decent techniques.... 

Trapper4

Wow! I was curious to see what opening shraavanchess2000's avatar was, and it turns I saw his name and I actually played him in a local tournament.... ._.

garykasparov14

hahhahahah

Trapper4

@shraavanchess Yep it was at knights quest :) I was black, and you used Scotch Gambit on me and I played terribly in the opening :) But it ended up to be a draw. :P

Trapper4

Oh, and I dont really use the parham attack much, (definately not in tournaments) Im just a fan of him, but my group is inactive now...

Trapper4

@shraavanchess2000 Yes :)

Trapper4

@shraavanchess2000 Yeah, I was under time pressure (One minute left) but I dont think it was because of that, I think it was because im way below average for endgames. But like you said, it was an obvious move to push the c-pawn and get the easy promotion. Oh well. Now I know next time. :)

Trapper4

@shraavanchess2000 That sounds like a good idea for me...What openings do you suggest for me? I like opening with e4, and I also like Evan's Gambit, I like alot of openings...

AndyClifton
mathot wrote:
JBades6310 wrote:

Reading your post I assume there where no bad intentions, but playing rated games with guidance, resigning after the first move and sandbagging are not considered to be decent techniques.... 

Yes, these are all aspects of cheating.

AlCzervik
shraavanchess2000 wrote:

If he really didn't see the mates, I have no clue how he got his 1457 rating.

While I agree with this...

AlCzervik
AndyClifton wrote:
mathot wrote:
JBades6310 wrote:

Yes, these are all aspects of cheating.

I also agree with this.

JBades6310

I'm surprised to have heard so much criticism about cheating, sportsmanship, etc. honestly, I didn't think of the idea to play unrated games instead, and I was purely just trying to teach my friend a bit about chess. in any case, in the future my friend and I will only play unrated games, so I appreciate that suggestion from all of you. I merely posted this game because I thought you'd all get a kick out of it ;) although I apologize for any rule-breaking that may have occurred

TeraHammer
wbilfc wrote:

Probably just didn't want to be party to fiddling a players rating!!

my thoughts exactly

GarySlegg

I must confess I'm a bit suprised at how people have gone on about cheating - clearly JBades6310 was only trying to help his friend and didn't intend to break any rules.  It's been pointed out that he could have played unrated games and he appears to have taken that on board.

The aim of his original post was to point out that someone with quite a high rating managed to miss fool's mate several times - and that is quite amusing!!

Trapper4

@shraavanchess2000 Thanks for the help! Ill see if I can get those books at the library, they seem really helpful! Thanks for the opening recomendations as well :)