Forums

Lasker Trap

Sort:
pauix

Compositions involving underpromotions look very cool on a chess book, but you hardly ever get a chance to underpromote a pawn and get an advantadge in real life. In this game, my opponent fell into the Lasker Trap, and I finally could make an underpromotion:

RichColorado
hyost87

cool

urangminang

what a cool trap

TheChessOne
pauix wrote:

Compositions involving underpromotions look very cool on a chess book, but you hardly ever get a chance to underpromote a pawn and get an advantadge in real life. In this game, my opponent fell into the Lasker Trap, and I finally could make an underpromotion:

It IS cool but more likely that white will bring out king knight than king pawn up.

Sorg67

Somebody please play me in Queens Gambit, can't wait to try this.....

Senthiloo7

wat to do if 5.Nd2 instead of Bd2

Wrinn
Senthiloo7 wrote:

wat to do if 5.Nd2 instead of Bd2

Sorg67

I have played this twice now in blitz games.  Neither of my opponents went for it and I was initially down a pawn or two, but ultimately won both games.  It seemed to confuse my opponent greatly.  Of course I did not know what I was doing either so it was kind of a free for all, but I have always had trouble in the past playing against the Queen's Gambit and this seems a good way to give my self a better chance.  Looking forward to playing it in a turn-based game when there is more time to study and see if it works as well for me.

Also looking forward to the first game when my opponent goes for the trap.  I do not recall having under-promoted before.  I guess a few times I promoted to a rook with checkmate when a Queen would have worked just as well but I have never under-promoted for a tactical reason.

pauix
Sorg67 wrote:

I have played this twice now in blitz games.  Neither of my opponents went for it and I was initially down a pawn or two, but ultimately won both games.  It seemed to confuse my opponent greatly.  Of course I did not know what I was doing either so it was kind of a free for all, but I have always had trouble in the past playing against the Queen's Gambit and this seems a good way to give my self a better chance.  Looking forward to playing it in a turn-based game when there is more time to study and see if it works as well for me.

Also looking forward to the first game when my opponent goes for the trap.  I do not recall having under-promoted before.  I guess a few times I promoted to a rook with checkmate when a Queen would have worked just as well but I have never under-promoted for a tactical reason.

Once, in a post-mortem analysis, I found a checkmate involving an underpromotion to Knight. Too bad I didn't anotate that game...

CerebralAssassin

very cool trap!

blueparrot12345

Anyone who has trouble with the gambit should simply accept with dxc4, and accept an equality first approach.

Tmb86

obviously not

Senthiloo7

@Wrinn THank U Smile

Sorg67

have played 2.... e5 against queens gambit four times now won three.  opponenent went for the trap in one - so much fun!!

Senthiloo7

why not 7.Ke2....if black make check with his bishop on Bg4 ...white can block d check with his Knight ....

Chess4001

Interesting line.

nameno1had

Everytime I try this trap. The person never pushes up the d7 pawn. They always pull their queen out and check. Then I have to really work for the center. Lucky you. I am still waiting. I think I will try to learn a few more traps and their counters. Good luck.

MahadiCaesar
[COMMENT DELETED]
MahadiCaesar
[COMMENT DELETED]