Forums

Post your best 25 moves+ games here

Sort:
blasterdragon

post here any game that is 25 moves++ just remember to annotate them heres my one

falcogrine

we needed this thread sooo much, thank you!

blasterdragon
falcogrine wrote:

we needed this thread sooo much, thank you!

No problem.

shepi13

There is no way that the logical exf6 is a blunder. Just a normal french structure really. I only know Tarrasch theory really, but look at the similarities:

Yes, perhaps Bd3 is an improvement, intending to delay exf6, but there is no way that exf6 is a blunder.

Bg5?! is white's first poor move, as it is unclear where the c1 bishop will be needed, perhaps it is better placed on e3 protecting the center. Instead I think Bd3 seems natural.

Bxf6? gives up the bishop pair for no reason. Black is probably at least equal if not better by this point.

Then Bb5?! also seems inaccurate, as it plays on the queenside when white needs to seek kingside chances.

Bxc6?! can't be good, especially in this situation. Perhaps instead of Bg5 white could play Bb5 - xc6 to try to gain control of e5, but he has already given up his dark squared bishop and brought your bishop to the control of e5. Black probably already has a major advantage, in the center, development, and the bishop pair.

b3? needs no comment.

Instead of the immediate pawn grab with 12...c5 0-0, I would prefer Ba6!? With white's center collapsing after c5 follows (dxc5 would probably be forced), and white's king stuck in the center, perhaps this game would have ended in the miniature thread. Both moves should offer a huge advantage though.

Rb1? Ba6 just lets you get my idea in anyways.

a4? is stupid, the entire idea of a3 was to play b4 and maybe have ideas of Nb3xd4 or b5 eventually.

Instead of Rac8 it is difficult to see how white meets the immediate pressuring e5!?. e4 is a quite annoying move that seems impossible to stop. Note that after e5 b4 e4 b5?? seems to fail to exf3 bxa6 fxg2 Rg1 Re8+, among other lines. If instead e5 b4 e4 Ng1 white cannot castle even if he gets b5 in, and the immediate e3 might be a winning breakthrough.

Giving up the bishop with Bc4 is an indication that Rac8 was too slow and that you failed to punish white while his king was trapped, but black's central presence still seems to be a winning advantage.

Instead of d3 you could consider c3 Qc2 (otherwise c2), d3 Qxd3 c2 Rc1 Qxb4+ Nd2 Bb2, which looks winning, or c3 Qc2 e5 intending e4 and d3. Just seems quicker because of the fork threats and having the rook already behind the pawn. White cannot castle.

Rest of the game is simple.

All and all, I agree that this was that instructive of how not to play against the french. Black's moves were all natural and white pretty much defeated himself with moves like b3?, Bc1-g5xf6?, Bf1-c4xc6?, Rb1?, a3?, etc.

shepi13

Now we just wait for pfren to come refute all of my analysis.

blasterdragon
shepi13 wrote:

There is no way that the logical exf6 is a blunder. Just a normal french structure really. I only know Tarrasch theory really, but look at the similarities:

Yes, perhaps Bd3 is an improvement, intending to delay exf6, but there is no way that exf6 is a blunder.

Bg5?! is white's first poor move, as it is unclear where the c1 bishop will be needed, perhaps it is better placed on e3 protecting the center. Instead I think Bd3 seems natural.

Bxf6? gives up the bishop pair for no reason. Black is probably at least equal if not better by this point.

Then Bb5?! also seems inaccurate, as it plays on the queenside when white needs to seek kingside chances.

Bxc6?! can't be good, especially in this situation. Perhaps instead of Bg5 white could play Bb5 - xc6 to try to gain control of e5, but he has already given up his dark squared bishop and brought your bishop to the control of e5. Black probably already has a major advantage, in the center, development, and the bishop pair.

b3? needs no comment.

Instead of the immediate pawn grab with 12...c5 0-0, I would prefer Ba6!? With white's center collapsing after c5 follows (dxc5 would probably be forced), and white's king stuck in the center, perhaps this game would have ended in the miniature thread. Both moves should offer a huge advantage though.

Rb1? Ba6 just lets you get my idea in anyways.

a4? is stupid, the entire idea of a3 was to play b4 and maybe have ideas of Nb3xd4 or b5 eventually.

Instead of Rac8 it is difficult to see how white meets the immediate pressuring e5!?. e4 is a quite annoying move that seems impossible to stop. Note that after e5 b4 e4 b5?? seems to fail to exf3 bxa6 fxg2 Rg1 Re8+, among other lines. If instead e5 b4 e4 Ng1 white cannot castle even if he gets b5 in, and the immediate e3 might be a winning breakthrough.

Giving up the bishop with Bc4 is an indication that Rac8 was too slow and that you failed to punish white while his king was trapped, but black's central presence still seems to be a winning advantage.

Instead of d3 you could consider c3 Qc2 (otherwise c2), d3 Qxd3 c2 Rc1 Qxb4+ Nd2 Bb2, which looks winning, or c3 Qc2 e5 intending e4 and d3. Just seems quicker because of the fork threats and having the rook already behind the pawn. White cannot castle.

Rest of the game is simple.

All and all, I agree that this was that instructive of how not to play against the french. Black's moves were all natural and white pretty much defeated himself with moves like b3?, Bc1-g5xf6?, Bf1-c4xc6?, Rb1?, a3?, etc.

the difference in the tarrasch and my game is that my knight took from the starting square

shepi13

Maybe exf6 is an inaccuracy I said, in that it loses a tempo. I suggested Bd3, waiting for the knight to move or for black to commit a plan. I still don't believe exf6 is a blunder that offers black easy equality. Black still has all of the normal french problems, such as the light squared bishop. He will just be a bit faster to develop, that's all.

blasterdragon

yes i agree

blueemu

Just to clarify... this thread is for games longer than 24 moves?

blasterdragon
blueemu wrote:

Just to clarify... this thread is for games longer than 24 moves?

yea

blueemu

Here's a game played in the last round of the Atlantic Provinces Championship, with the title on the line and my opponent half-a-point ahead... a must-win game for me.

It was like a Hollywood movie, with one dramatic deed following hard on the last.

blasterdragon
blueemu wrote:

Here's a game played in the last round of the Atlantic Provinces Championship, with the title on the line and my opponent half-a-point ahead... a must-win game for me.

It was like a Hollywood movie, with one dramatic deed following hard on the last.

excellent game learnt a lot from it thanks

blueemu

Here's another tense last-round game, from the Ottawa Open in the mid-1990s. Again, my opponent was half-a-point ahead, so I needed a win with the Black pieces. No title was on the line this time, though.

Beneetta

Here is a game I played...so far this is my best win considering the rating of the opponent..(Before the game my rating was 1200 and black was 1600+)I was very much confident I wouldnt lose this game..It was a draw I guess..black blundered at the end..but still, I guess I played well.. 

grimshanky
This was a very satisfying victory for me.  I traded a minor piece early for control of the center, and then I played fairly solid chess to eventually reach a huge material advantage.

grimshanky

Oh snap, I just realized 21.Nh6+ wins me the black queen.

blasterdragon
grimshanky wrote:

Don't see how the forking square is covered by blacks light squared bishop

grimshanky
blasterdragon wrote:
grimshanky wrote:

Don't see how the forking square is covered by blacks light squared bishop

Ahhh...right you are.  Glad I didn't make that mistake in the game.

Phylar

I very fun game against a decent positional player. I lean heavily towards tactics with positional play being a weakness (working on this) while he leaned towards positional play and was weaker regarding tactics. While I won this game, he managed to beat me in others. Generally because no matter the tactical idea that I had I just couldn't break past his position.
dwz

I played a quite nice game.