Forums

sacrifice and tactics

Sort:
MarvsC

It's not everyday that I find a rook sacrifice to break the center, and tactical combinations for a king hunt.  Please help me spot incorrect moves on my part.  Thanks.

theturtlemoves

15.Qg6 mate is a bit better than Bxe6, no? You should probably have played Ba3 on move 8 as he is able to castle if you don't (which he should have done, making the game much less clear cut.) 

However Rxe4 was great

bjazz
shambo wrote:

15.Qg6 mate is a bit better than Bxe6, no? You should probably have played Ba3 on move 8 as he is able to castle if you don't (which he should have done, making the game much less clear cut.) 

However Rxe4 was great

8.Ba3 isn't a legal move.

Lampman

Very nice game, the rook sacrifice was an excellent strategic move.

AtahanT

Nothing more fun then obliterating people that ignore castling.

MarvsC
shambo wrote:

15.Qg6 mate is a bit better than Bxe6, no?

wow! I did not see that 15.Qg6 mate!  I forgot the Ba3 and queen crisscross.  Thanks shambs.Cool

MarvsC
bjazz wrote:
shambo wrote:

...You should probably have played Ba3 on move 8 as he is able to castle if you don't (which he should have done, making the game much less clear cut.)

8.Ba3 isn't a legal move.

thanks bjazz, yes 8.Ba3 is not a legal move.  I think he means 9.Ba3 instead of 9.O-O to immediate deny Black of castling.  hmm, that would be nice strategy.

MarvsC
Lampman wrote:

Very nice game, the rook sacrifice was an excellent strategic move.

on second thoughts, I am now seeing that it was not a sacrifice at all, but a trade: a rook for a minor piece plus 2 pawns.  That was my original plan, but as shambo pointed out, 15.Qg6++ will make 13.Rxe4 a rook sacrifice indeed instead of a trade.  thanks lamp.Wink

MarvsC
AtahanT wrote:

Nothing more fun then obliterating people that ignore castling.

yes Laughing , this reminds me of Paul Morphy vs. Count Isouard: