Forums

Scholar's Mate attempt

Sort:
batgirl
paulgottlieb wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the term "Scholar" is just sarcastic. Haven't you ever walked into a simple tactic and then said to yourself, "that was brilliant!"

That sounds reasonable, but I tend to think there's another explanation, though equally unprovable.  Both Fool's Mate and Scholar's Mate are known by various names, especially when we factor in different languages than English. Not only that, but sometimes the two are confused and used interchangably, particularly by chess laymen.   The French, it seems, sometimes call Fool's mate (mat de lion) mat de l'écolier which translates more or less as Schoolboy's Mate (French speaking members please correct me if I'm wrong).  Scholar and schoolboy are very similar but have very different connotations, and the Engish Scholar's Mate might have derived from the French "l'écolier," migrating from fool's to scholar's mate in the process.  Schoolboy's Mate would make sense to us, whereas Scholar's Mate doesn't.  It's possible that the Serbian Школски мат, might also translate in a similar way.  It seems to me more a fluke of language than an intentional humorous play on words.  I hope someone can give some insight into these non-English expressions and terms.

waffllemaster

Be6 was fine, if white took he's losing his only other developed piece, and all his remaining pieces will find it difficult to develop.  You're completely winning already.  (b3 was worse though, better to take, but even more correct to resign ;)

After 16...Nf7  "This to me is the most nerve shattering part of the game"

I've played someone who's often said the same thing.  I guess knowing you're winning and not wanting it to disappear due to a blunder can be nerve racking... but to me these are the most carefree positions to play :D

batgirl
waffllemaster wrote:

I've played someone who's often said the same thing.  I guess knowing you're winning and not wanting it to disappear due to a blunder can be nerve racking... but to me these are the most carefree positions to play :D

There a moment when you're undoubtedly winning in Blitz - in a standard game, it isn't so rattling since you have time to work things out carefully - and you know it, but the win, you also know, might depend on exact calculation and execution - so knowing something and proving it in Blitz can prove very distant once thinking time is factored in... and it's this moment of ambiguity that makes my palms sweat and heart race.

fissionfowl
waffllemaster wrote:

Be6 was fine, if white took he's losing his only other developed piece, and all his remaining pieces will find it difficult to develop.  You're completely winning already.  (b3 was worse though, better to take, but even more correct to resign ;)

They're carefree for me as well. So carefree that most of the time I'll completely give my advantage away and lose or (if I'm lucky) draw.

neferenze

Scolar's Mate reffers to a school boy. School boy's mate.

Conflagration_Planet

Surprised

LAKnights

I read on the net they call it that because no scholars of chess would fall for it. I noticed people on this site who have my rating and lower, ALWAYS use this opening... ever          single          time i try to get a game going. It's ridiculous the first time around, and after that i almost feel like canceling this account after only a few games and a few days. It's starting to get as annoying as loosing points over my weak internet connection, timing out, and on top of that being warned not to take up too much time.  I just want a regular game and didn't know i have to go through 40 games before I find someone who is willing to play an actual game instead of goofing off trying to get a silly cheap win.