Forums

the oldest chess game recorded

Sort:
Al-Khalifa93

The first known game of Chess was played by Arabian people in the middle ages. the Queen could only move a square diagonally a time. the Bishops move diagonally skipping a square. Pawns could only move a square a time and could only be promoted to a queen.

King, Rooks and Knights moved as usual. Castling was unknown and you could win by Checkmate and by Stalemate. The following match was played between Abu-Bakr Muhammed Ben Yahya as-Suli and Abu’l- Faraj bin al-Muzaffar bin Sa’-id al-Lajlaj in the 10th century.

2#

I couldn't move the bishop to f5 and f4 

so  I managed new board

the continuation is

3#

& the continuation is

Iknownotwhy

Thank you.Very interesting,especially the openings. The queen certainly does not seem to count for much.

NimzoRoy

Where's the source(s) for your "facts?" The ones about the piece movements sound familiar (but that doesn't mean they're all correct) and as far as the oldest recorded game, lets see a citation from H J R Murray, or someone else considered to be an "authority" here.

Al-Khalifa93
Iknownotwhy wrote:

Thank you.Very interesting,especially the openings. The queen certainly does not seem to count for much.

thanks mate,, 

Al-Khalifa93
NimzoRoy wrote:

Where's the source(s) for your "facts?" The ones about the piece movements sound familiar (but that doesn't mean they're all correct) and as far as the oldest recorded game, lets see a citation from H J R Murray, or someone else considered to be an "authority" here.

my friend, I forgot the source, I had this game recorded on my LAP. since 2010 but I'lldo my best to find the website (source) Wink

NimzoRoy

H J R Murray  is probably a good place to start, I have it but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Maybe I'll try answering my own question and either verifying your claim or disproving it - probably by using a search engine though since the Murray book is +900 pp! If you're interested in chess history it's still supposed to be "the" authority on the subject even though it was written in 1913 - not to say that nothing written afterwards isn't worth reading. Here's a "book report" on Murray:

http://blog.chess.com/NimzoRoy/a-history-of-chess

Wikipedia seems to verify your claim but the source cited is the Encyclopedia Brittanica which is not infallible - we need to see the EB source (quite likely Murray IMHO) although it's certainly more authoritative than anything else - so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_chess

The oldest recorded game in chess history is a 10th century game played between a historian from Baghdad and a pupil.[12]

[12]. ^ a b c Chess: Introduction to Europe (Encyclopædia Britannica 2007)

Thanks for not getting indignant at my less than tactful request here, I need to mellow out!Yell

Iknownotwhy

I must say,age aside, that is an interesting game. A lot of copy-cat moves too.( Interesting names  Laughing )

Iknownotwhy
NimzoRoy wrote:

Thanks for not getting indignant at my less than tactful request here, I need to mellow out!

+1 Cool

Ziryab

What we call the queen today was a vizier in the tenth century. My sources include Murray, A History of Chess, and Marilyn Yalom, The Birth of the Chess Queen.

Iknownotwhy

vi·zier  (v-zîr, vzyr)

n.
A high officer in a Muslim government, especially in the Ottoman Empire.

[Turkish vezir, from Arabic wazr, burdened, minister, from 'zara, to help, derived form of 'azara, to surround; see zr in Semitic roots or from wazara, to carry a burden; see wzr in Semitic roots.]

vi·zierate (v-zîrt, -t, vzyr-t, -y-rt) n.
vi·zieri·al adj.
RomyGer

In " The even more complete chess addict " by Mike Fox and Richard James (1993) I found on page 204 : 

... part of a game between as-Suli (white) and his pupil al-Lajlaj, from the first half of the tenth century.   This is the oldest recorded game of chess...

After move 23 Bh3 Bh6 follows : Bf5 Bf4 / Rac1 a6 / c4 Rac8 / c5 bxc5 / Bxc5+ Ke8 / dxe5 Nxe5 / Nxe6 Rxg1 / Rxg1 Nxf3 / and move 32 is Kxf3, with advantage to white...

The remark about Bishop f4 and f5 of course is correct, unless Bishops might jump and fly over pieces ...  Anyhow the rest of both records are worthwile.

Iknownotwhy

These two pieces are both rooks from around the 10th century used in the Islamic world

MyCowsCanFly

I suppose it would depend on the point at which the game became "chess" as opposed to a precursor game. A related question might be when was the game first called "chess?"

A search of Chessbase Mega Database would give one answer. According to their description of the database, this would be the first game played and published ("recorded"). That game was played in 1560.

bigpoison

I thought Abner Doubleday invented chess?

Iknownotwhy
bigpoison wrote:

No,Abner Doubleday invented baseball and also has a patent on the cable car in San Francisco.

MyCowsCanFly

Li'l Abner? Milton Bradley published the Li'l Abner game in 1946. The board is eerily similar.

RaleighRaine

Interesting...

bigpoison
Iknownotwhy wrote:
bigpoison wrote:

No,Abner Doubleday invented baseball and also has a patent on the cable car in San Francisco.

There's just about as much evidence that Doubleday invented chess as there is that he invented baseball.

Iknownotwhy
bigpoison wrote:
Iknownotwhy wrote:
bigpoison wrote:

There's just about as much evidence that Doubleday invented chess as there is that he invented baseball.

just kidding, but I at least I got you to admit he didn't invent chessLaughing

Mr_Spocky

Cheesy game but it was the First.