Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

+1.00

• 19 months ago · Quote · #1

AnthonyCG

Is it ok at club level to play positions as Black with this evaluation?

• 19 months ago · Quote · #2

DrCheckevertim

call me crazy but i would play +2 until my opponent is 2000+

• 19 months ago · Quote · #3

bobbyDK

I think it depends if your opponent has active pices vs inactive pieces.
    if your opponent has a rock still locked in by his own pieces he is actually playing without it -5.00, in this case it doesn't matter if you play on +3.00.
    therefore if you have very active pieces you can overwhelm your opponent with an attack not giving him time/change to be active and win.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #4

AndyClifton

This is silly to generalize about.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #5

rooperi

AndyClifton wrote:

This is silly to generalize about.

+1.00

• 19 months ago · Quote · #6

JG27Pyth

In general, I agree with Andy (who is generalizing, himself, isn't he?) ...

But...what do you mean "play"?

A +1.00 is bad for black but even super GMs play on in positions with that eval and worse all the time -- why wouldn't you?

But if by play you mean "aim for" as in there are positions in your opening repertoire that arrive at a +1.00 that you seek, or at least don't struggle to avoid -- I have no experience with that. I mean I suppose a black opening repertoire will inevitably include some undesirable positions and also opening evaluations are notoriously suspect... Perhaps Rybka calls a certain position +1.00 but all the masters know that eval is flawed -- it's also quite possible there are some dubious "club-favorite" opening lines that are theoretical +1.00s that nevertheless offer a Black club player great practical chances -- I just don't pay enough attention to my opening-theory to have an opinion on what's what in this regard. 

• 19 months ago · Quote · #7

AndyClifton

I never generalize!

• 19 months ago · Quote · #8

AndyClifton

That's a tough call.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #9

bronsteinitz

No, you have to resign immediately. You are lost.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #10

finalunpurez

It still depends.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #11

bobbyDK

am I wrong or is 1.00 only a pawn or 3 tempi

• 19 months ago · Quote · #12

Scottrf

Glass heart.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #13

pdela

no one resigns with black with +1.00, not even GMs, you better wait till someone has definite advantage.

the CPOTM* winner pdela

*July 2011, I think

• 19 months ago · Quote · #14

bpavan

maybe not sure

• 19 months ago · Quote · #15

bronsteinitz

Scottrf wrote:

Glass heart.

Bronsteinitz : balls of steel :-) I would not recognize a 1.00 and win anyway. Of course you can play this.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #16

AnthonyCG

JG27Pyth wrote:

A +1.00 is bad for black but even super GMs play on in positions with that eval and worse all the time -- why wouldn't you?

But if by play you mean "aim for" as in there are positions in your opening repertoire that arrive at a +1.00 that you seek, or at least don't struggle to avoid -- I have no experience with that. I mean I suppose a black opening repertoire will inevitably include some undesirable positions and also opening evaluations are notoriously suspect... Perhaps Rybka calls a certain position +1.00 but all the masters know that eval is flawed -- it's also quite possible there are some dubious "club-favorite" opening lines that are theoretical +1.00s that nevertheless offer a Black club player great practical chances -- I just don't pay enough attention to my opening-theory to have an opinion on what's what in this regard. 

Yeah I'm talking about purposely aiming for positions where Black is behind 1.00.

• 19 months ago · Quote · #17

JG27Pyth

AnthonyCG wrote:
    JG27Pyth wrote:

Yeah I'm talking about purposely aiming for positions where Black is behind 1.00.

Well, I think chess players are generally divided into two camps, the one's that think dubious gambits are crap, and the one's that are totally addicted to them. At the club level where no one's book goes all that deep these things tend to do far better than they are "supposed" to.  

• 19 months ago · Quote · #18

bpavan

even i agree

• 19 months ago · Quote · #19

AndyClifton

Thus implying a question of sorts...

• 19 months ago · Quote · #20

Fear_ItseIf

Depends what level club player. The majority of the time my engine rates something as +1.00 I feel that I could win the game from the position I see, of course there are exceptions. That said, im sure there would be many times id quickly lose that advantage, as would any other club player. 
    So yes they could play it, but i think many players >1600 OTB wouldnt have too much trouble realising their advantage, and at very least making the players life extremely difficult.

Post your reply: