Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

1361 -1500

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #21

j3oglesby

Its been a while since I was free member but you used to be able to watch like 10 full length videos for free, thats a bummer if they changed that

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #22

pt22064

Kevin,

You've played 8 tournaments so far this year, and 17 last year.  You're averaging over 2 tournaments per month.  If you keep this up, it is likely that you're going to burn out, particularly if your rating plateaus (as it will at some point) and you don't make any progress despite playing in tournaments montly or weekly.

My advice is to take a break from chess -- maybe read a chess book very once in a while -- but no more tournaments for at least 6 to 12 months.  Instead of setting an arbitrary target for your rating, think about why you play and what you want to get out of chess.  Do you want to make chess a career?  I suspect the answer is no.  Do you want achieve some target in order to impress college admissions people?  Or do you just enjoy the mental challenge of a good game.

How you approach chess will depend on your long term goals -- not just in chess but in life in general.

Good luck, and may you achieve all your goals in life.

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #23

pt22064

If you want to improve, you must review and analyze your games -- all games, whether wins, losses or draws.  You did well in your last tournament (Chicago Open), finishing 7th out of a field of 62 in the Under 1300 section, with 5 points out of 7.  You did well in your draws against Zhan He Liu and Adam Geisler, but you lost to Jake Bolen, who was rated more than 100 points lower (and who finished in the bottom half of the field).  You should go through your games (even your wins) to see the mistakes you made and how you can improve.  It also helps to review your games with someone else, preferably a stronger player (but even someone who is weaker can provide a second set of eyes to spot tactics you may have missed).

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #24

j3oglesby

there are 10 ful length video lessons available here on chess.com good ones too

http://www.chess.com/videos/         along the right side of the screen

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #25

Chessattackman

thanks

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #26

j3oglesby

good advice pt22064

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #27

pt22064

Sandrasandrita wrote:
    pt22064 escribió:

I wish all that wise words were mine...  

Consejos vendo y para mí no tengo.  :-)

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #28

Chessattackman

Zhan he Liu cheated against me. He was talking to his coach while playing. When i was going to the bathroom i saw him taliking to his coach. I was just to chicken.

Oh yeah I also want chess in my career. $$$$$$$$$$yeah

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #29

Till_98

tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics tactics!

That and some practical OTB games. Thats all you need to improve on your level, most beginners dont understand that

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #30

VULPES_VULPES

Sandrasandrita wrote:
    pt22064 escribió:

Kevin,

You've played 8 tournaments so far this year, and 17 last year.  You're averaging over 2 tournaments per month.  If you keep this up, it is likely that you're going to burn out, particularly if your rating plateaus (as it will at some point) and you don't make any progress despite playing in tournaments montly or weekly.

My advice is to take a break from chess -- maybe read a chess book very once in a while -- but no more tournaments for at least 6 to 12 months.  Instead of setting an arbitrary target for your rating, think about why you play and what you want to get out of chess.  Do you want to make chess a career?  I suspect the answer is no.  Do you want achieve some target in order to impress college admissions people?  Or do you just enjoy the mental challenge of a good game.

How you approach chess will depend on your long term goals -- not just in chess but in life in general.

I wish all that wise words were mine...  

And now you can have them for only $0.05 per letter! :D

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #31

achja

Chessattackman wrote:

im only a free member so they would only show previews of the videos and I can only do 3 problems on tactics trainers i like ur idea of writing the plans of every move except what happens if ur playing a chess tournament like Chicago Open or Us Open

There's lots more websites with tactic puzzles.

The very best being : chesstempo

There's also lots of good chess videos by GMs :

https://www.youtube.com/user/STLChessClub

http://saintlouischessclub.org/videos

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #32

Chessattackman

no not at all He lives like  a hour away. and I only met him at a chess tournament

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #33

Chessattackman

lol

• 6 weeks ago · Quote · #34

Chessattackman

You guys should join Online Chess Tournament Organising

Smile

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #35

worldlearner0411

In direct response to your original post, check out my blog. It might be a little more than what you need at the moment, but I'm sure you will benifit.

www.advancedchesstraining.blogspot.com 

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #36

Chessattackman

wow thanks

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #37

SmyslovFan

Here's a hint: 

Stop creating threads asking how to get from 1300 to 1500 or 1600 or whatever, and take some of the advice you have already received. 

Post your reply: