Forums

20 surprising discoveries since joining chess.com

Sort:
jrb136

When I signed up to chess.com at the start of the year, having only played a few serious games these past twenty or so years, there were a number of surprises (mostly pleasant ones) that awaited me:

1. online chess (my preferred format)
  2. a worldwide chess playing community
  3. representing many interests and backgrounds
  4. post match computer analysis
  5. being able to analyse moves while playing
  6. the explore facility
  7. conditional moves
  8. teams I could join
  9. nice people I could relate to in those teams
  10. matches I could play for those teams
  11. chatty types when playing
  12. non-chatty types when playing
  13. trophies
  14. forums
  15. vacations
  16. Natalia Pogonina
  17. cheats (sadly)
  18. chess can be fun
  19. chess may help reverse mental decline
  20. chess can be addictive

Please note I have since added some further discoveries later in the thread, one of the nice things about playing chess.comSmile

wbilfc

Nice list, can't decide with one or two whether they are good or bad though!

johnyoudell

Hmmm. Easy to make that guess with No.16.

ElKitch

Nice post. What I loved was all the tools that one can use to analyse games. How often a move was played and how often that leaded to lose-draw-win. The game editor..

And once I started playing I loved the tactic trainer and tournaments.

One thing that I advice chess.com is to communicate (even more) that EVERYONE can learn chess and that chess is NOT just about looking X moves ahead. That is what I didnt know and withheld me from investing time into chess.

Walter0508

the only suprise i have had is that i found out im rubbish at chess Laughing

jrb136

lol Walter - one of the consequences of computer analysis it shows one what awful moves one does make!

johnyoudell

Well, looks like you also found that you enjoy your game, Walter.  I wonder whether that might not be the best discovery to make.

Walter0508

right on both counts

NimzoRoy

You may change your mind about reversing mental decline if you read enough forum postings. In fact I'm beginning to think chess may hasten mental decline in some of the members here at chess.com, but that's just IMHO. Or maybe they were retarded to begin with, who knows?

At any rate it's nice to see someone with a few compliments instead of complaints!

Walter0508

nimz0r0y at 55 mental decline might be an issue for me ,heaven knows everything else is going to pot so i might as well go mad as well ha ha

blueemu
NimzoRoy wrote:

You may change your mind about reversing mental decline if you read enough forum postings. In fact I'm beginning to think chess may hasten mental decline in some of the members here at chess.com, but that's just IMHO.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but EVERYTHING hastens mental decline.

TheGrobe
blueemu wrote:
NimzoRoy wrote:

You may change your mind about reversing mental decline if you read enough forum postings. In fact I'm beginning to think chess may hasten mental decline in some of the members here at chess.com, but that's just IMHO.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but EVERYTHING hastens mental decline.

Youth?  Schooling?  Life experiences?

rooperi

I was gonna say something, but I forgot what.

Walter0508

rooperi  

I was gonna say something, but I forgot what.

dont worry go and have a cup of tea 

" sh guys i think rooperi finally lost his marbles poor old sod "

msjenned

no. 7conditional moves and no.11chatty types when playing.

Dadg777

I love the Tactics Trainer.

jrb136

lol ms jenned - we know all about thatSmile

Walter0508

think the best thing is getting to meet great guy's like yourselves who share a common interest

Disgruntled_Sheep

Nice list Smile

It certainly sums up most of our own experiences here too I believe

RomyGer

I have copied most lines to help persuade friends to join chess.com !  Of course nr 2 and nr 3 are basic important, --  and nr 11 makes nr 18 possible ; I do agree with nr 20, my wife asked me not to start a new game half an hour before dinner time... !  Number 14, the forums, I like to add my ideas and information on it, and get responses !    A happy chess player, RomyGer.