Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2011 World Open

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

Cry_Wolf

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone here was going to the world open, and I guess more specifically, if chess.com will have any significant presence there. I've never been to one and I'm really excited about it. I might have the wrong idea, but I'm imagining it will be something like the comic con of chess.

Perhaps that's a bad example as I've never been to comic con either (and don't have any intention to) but I imagine it as much more than just another tournament, what with the side tournaments and GM analysis and I'm sure there'll be a giant store there (there has been one at every major tournament I've been to so far). Anywho, isight is much appreciated. I want to get the most out of the experience, but of course I will need to study and play hard because it's costing me $600 to go XD

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

Estragon

It's a great experience.  Lots of stuff going on, there used to be late-night poker games in the skittles rooms, sometimes with GMs playing.  Chess vendors from sets and clocks and books to artwork.  And in whatever off time you have, you might run into GMs in the restaurant or bar, or the designated smoking area if they still have one. 

No matter what section you play, make a point to get to the main room at some point and watch the top boards for awhile. Gelfand, now playing in the Candidates' Final, played in several and won a couple, I think, in the early 90s, and of course many of the top US players will be there.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

Narz

I went this year.  I didn't do all that well (4.5 out of 9 in the U-2000 section) but I had fun.

Post your reply: