Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

2013 World Open

• 14 months ago · Quote · #41

JamieKowalski

I had two games in the World open that went over 5 hours, and another two that went over 4. 

But the weirdest game was against a guy that rarely ever took more than 10 seconds per move. I often didn't even have enough time to write down my move before he had played. I won the game after 75 moves, and he had used only 20 minutes total time. Five of those minutes were because he was five minutes late to start the game. Another 3 were spent on a single move when he suddenly realized he was about to lose.

I had used about 2.5 hours of my time. 

• 14 months ago · Quote · #42

SocialPanda

JamieKowalski wrote:

I had two games in the World open that went over 5 hours, and another two that went over 4. 

But the weirdest game was against a guy that rarely ever took more than 10 seconds per move. I often didn't even have enough time to write down my move before he had played. I won the game after 75 moves, and he had used only 20 minutes total time. Five of those minutes were because he was five minutes late to start the game. Another 3 were spent on a single move when he suddenly realized he was about to lose.

I had used about 2.5 hours of my time. 

And he was always looking at the board?

• 14 months ago · Quote · #43

ponz111

My friend, who scored 6 1/2 in the under 1800 section only received $65.15 for his prize.  One point more scores over $5,000  [I realize the difference]

Getting back to my question.  If two grandmasters both with a score of 6  agreed that one would lose.  Would not have this resulted in one player winning about $20,000?  [to be split between the 2 of them] So insteade of each getting $3300 the payoff for each would be $10,000.

They might not have to have an agreement--each could take out insurance that only pays for wins or losses. 

• 14 months ago · Quote · #44

WilliamJohnB

I got 5/9 in the U2200 section (specifically, 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 half-point bye, and 3 losses which including a win against a FM) :).  This is after going 0-2 in the first 2 rounds where I was black for both rounds and got 4.5/6 in rounds 3-8 before taking a half-point bye in the last round.   Apparently, the guy that I lost to in the first round went on to finish in the money with 6.5/9.  

The crazy thing about that tourney is in 7 of those 8 games at the World Open, the opening was either Sicilian: Closed or Sicilian: Dragon.  I never played in a tourney where the Sicilian was played (by me or against me) so many times in my life.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #45

avi97

The Sicilian Is a do or die opening. I sometimes don't even know why I play the najdorf system for the sicillian . It is so risky and I dont  like taking risks but the benefits are it equalizes the position and is good for tactical type players like me. I used to play the Caro but it was very hard to play for a win in those closed lines. I played the sicillian najdorf so many times that its sad that i dont even know the opening moves to the chigorin or marshall attack. 

• 14 months ago · Quote · #46

Frankovich73

My opponent tried to offer me a deal in the last round.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #47

waffllemaster

pt22064 wrote:
    avi97 wrote:

Actually, if you get past the time control (40 moves), the game can last up to 6 hours!  My longest game was about 4 hours; my opponent used up close to his full 3 hours, but I used up only about 1 hour.  Unfortunately, I lost despite (or maybe because of) my tremendous time advantage.  :-(

I don't understand how you can lose because of a huge time advantage.  I guess there was a critical position but you didn't slow down or something?

• 14 months ago · Quote · #48

Abhishek2

taylorgang73 wrote:

My opponent tried to offer me a deal in the last round.

what was the deal

• 14 months ago · Quote · #49

heister

I entered the u1400 my first year playing chess.  I think I scored 1/2 point out of 9...  I won the chicago open a couple of months earlier with a 6 of 7. There have historically been more sandbaggers at the world open in your section than would care to admit it.

• 14 months ago · Quote · #50

Estragon

avi97 wrote:

i came 25th place if i won 1 more game i could have gotten 2000 dollars and if i drew one game i could have won 800 dollars :(

Excellent result, congratulations!

Cool

• 14 months ago · Quote · #51

Estragon

WilliamJohnB wrote:

I got 5/9 in the U2200 section (specifically, 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 half-point bye, and 3 losses which including a win against a FM) :).  This is after going 0-2 in the first 2 rounds where I was black for both rounds and got 4.5/6 in rounds 3-8 before taking a half-point bye in the last round.   Apparently, the guy that I lost to in the first round went on to finish in the money with 6.5/9.  

The crazy thing about that tourney is in 7 of those 8 games at the World Open, the opening was either Sicilian: Closed or Sicilian: Dragon.  I never played in a tourney where the Sicilian was played (by me or against me) so many times in my life.

Another strong result, congratulations!

Cool

• 14 months ago · Quote · #52

WilliamJohnB

Estragon wrote:
    WilliamJohnB wrote:

Another strong result, congratulations!

Thank you :).

• 14 months ago · Quote · #53

Frankovich73

If I lost on purpose, my opponent said he would give me $1000. I managed to find a nice resource as Black to solidify the draw but he kept offering. When he agreed to a draw after 5 1/2 hours we both had 7 points. It's ironic  because I got more money than him because I was initially U1700.

Post your reply: