Forums

2013 World Open

Sort:
avi97

The Sicilian Is a do or die opening. I sometimes don't even know why I play the najdorf system for the sicillian . It is so risky and I dont  like taking risks but the benefits are it equalizes the position and is good for tactical type players like me. I used to play the Caro but it was very hard to play for a win in those closed lines. I played the sicillian najdorf so many times that its sad that i dont even know the opening moves to the chigorin or marshall attack. 

Frankovich73

My opponent tried to offer me a deal in the last round.

waffllemaster
pt22064 wrote:
avi97 wrote:

Actually, if you get past the time control (40 moves), the game can last up to 6 hours!  My longest game was about 4 hours; my opponent used up close to his full 3 hours, but I used up only about 1 hour.  Unfortunately, I lost despite (or maybe because of) my tremendous time advantage.  :-(

I don't understand how you can lose because of a huge time advantage.  I guess there was a critical position but you didn't slow down or something?

Abhishek2
taylorgang73 wrote:

My opponent tried to offer me a deal in the last round.

what was the deal

heister

I entered the u1400 my first year playing chess.  I think I scored 1/2 point out of 9...  I won the chicago open a couple of months earlier with a 6 of 7. There have historically been more sandbaggers at the world open in your section than would care to admit it.

WilliamJohnB
Estragon wrote:
WilliamJohnB wrote:

I got 5/9 in the U2200 section (specifically, 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 half-point bye, and 3 losses which including a win against a FM) :).  This is after going 0-2 in the first 2 rounds where I was black for both rounds and got 4.5/6 in rounds 3-8 before taking a half-point bye in the last round.   Apparently, the guy that I lost to in the first round went on to finish in the money with 6.5/9.  

The crazy thing about that tourney is in 7 of those 8 games at the World Open, the opening was either Sicilian: Closed or Sicilian: Dragon.  I never played in a tourney where the Sicilian was played (by me or against me) so many times in my life.

Another strong result, congratulations!

Thank you :).

Frankovich73

If I lost on purpose, my opponent said he would give me $1000. I managed to find a nice resource as Black to solidify the draw but he kept offering. When he agreed to a draw after 5 1/2 hours we both had 7 points. It's ironic  because I got more money than him because I was initially U1700.