Forums

3 fold repitition?

Sort:
kidpoolside

Hi,

Does the following series of moves represent 3 fold reptition (I am black)? Or do both players have to make the same moves three times?  Finally,  if it does represent 3 fold repetition, why wasnt I able to claim a draw?

Thanks in advance, Kidpoolside

e4nf3

Both must repeat three times.

kidpoolside

Thanks for the clarification.  That explains why this game is still going on!  I am still confused though.  I looked 3 fold repition up on wikipedia and they give the following example from a Fischer / Petrosian game.  It is not clear to me that Petrosian is repeating the same moves at all:

In the third game[4] of the 1971 Candidates Final Match between Bobby Fischer and Tigran Petrosian, Petrosian (with a better position) accidentally allowed the position after 30.Qe2 to be repeated three times (see diagram). Play continued:

30... Qe5
31. Qh5 Qf6
32. Qe2 (second time) Re5
33. Qd3 Rd5?

and then Fischer wrote his next move

34. Qe2 (third time)
Metastable

It's not the *moves* that need to be repeated - it's the *position*. In the example you cite, the position does indeed repeat three times. Moves 30/31 constitute and interlude where the queens dance to the kingside and then the position repeats. Moves  32/33 are an interlude where the rook shuffles over and then back to the same posistion.  People often think it's the actual moves that need to be repeated, but it's not - just the position that results afterwards.

waffllemaster

If you can click on a move in the move list, and the position on the board is exactly the same, with the same person to move, then it's an identical position.

If such a position occurs 3 times in a game, that's what constitutes 3 fold repetition.

Otherwise when a GM needed to draw to claim 1st place we'd see some nonsense along the lines of Nf3-g1-f3-g1 sometimes early the opening.

As a side note it counts whether an opponent had the option of playing a "special" move like castling or en passant.  So all available moves must be identical too.

AndyClifton
waffllemaster wrote:

If you can click on a move in the move list, and the position on the board is exactly the same, with the same person to move, then it's an identical position.

That's definitely one of the perks of living in the computer age... Wink

kidpoolside

thanks!  very helpful!

JoeTheV

The position is the one that repeats, not the move. It's a normal thing some people forget about three-fold repetition. Good luck in your next three-fold repetition game.