Forums

5 year olds and chess

Sort:
echizenjohn

And he Knows who is Magnus Carlsen and Wesley...
and he want to be like them someday...

:)

TheGreatOogieBoogie
Ubik42 wrote:

I teach chess in elementary schools. 5 year old depends on their maturity level. If she is eager to learn I would say teach her.

If you go to chesskid.com (which is a sister site of chess.com) there is a downloadable teaching manual that is just right for that age group. I dont know if you need to be a paid member to get it or not. I am a paid member (I create accounts for my students so they can play each other and do tactics).

The basic idea used for that age is teaching pieces one at a time, and setting up a game where one side has only pawns and the other side just the piece you are teaching, like say the king. If one pawn makes it to the other side, the pawns win. If the king gets all the pawns, the king wins. Etc with all the pieces.

My eight year old nephew thinks Family Guy is funny... I don't have high hopes since Carlson when he was 8 probably thought it was stupid. 

Sometimes he doesn't even want to play because he isn't good enough according to him.  He always ask for hints so I wind up checkmating myself with two bishops or bishop and a knight (have to start with basic mates and it helps his self-esteem if only he has winning chances) or even the obvious pawns on a5 b5 and c5 for white and a7 b7 and c7 for black with kings far away break through. 

Sangwin
TheGreatOogieBoogie wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:

I teach chess in elementary schools. 5 year old depends on their maturity level. If she is eager to learn I would say teach her.

If you go to chesskid.com (which is a sister site of chess.com) there is a downloadable teaching manual that is just right for that age group. I dont know if you need to be a paid member to get it or not. I am a paid member (I create accounts for my students so they can play each other and do tactics).

The basic idea used for that age is teaching pieces one at a time, and setting up a game where one side has only pawns and the other side just the piece you are teaching, like say the king. If one pawn makes it to the other side, the pawns win. If the king gets all the pawns, the king wins. Etc with all the pieces.

My eight year old nephew thinks Family Guy is funny... I don't have high hopes since Carlson when he was 8 probably thought it was stupid. 

Sometimes he doesn't even want to play because he isn't good enough according to him.  He always ask for hints so I wind up checkmating myself with two bishops or bishop and a knight (have to start with basic mates and it helps his self-esteem if only he has winning chances) or even the obvious pawns on a5 b5 and c5 for white and a7 b7 and c7 for black with kings far away break through. 

awww... he probably see's the value you place on chess and doesn't want to took silly in your eyes, it's tricky becuase on one hand if you convincingly let him win he may really think he outsmarted you and some eight year olds are pretty quick socially..  on the other hand his not wanting to play for fear of not impressing Dad wont help his chess either.  I suspect he has been paying attention and if he finds some kids his own age he'll wipe the floor with them :)  8 is a geat age, btw my youngest of 3 just turned 9!  and sadly, no girls to add to the ranks of WGM's. :( ...yet!

B-Lamberth

My daughter is 5 and we enjoy playing chess. I started by learning her how the pices moves one at a time. The I did a little dog training ( I must admit I wasent proud of it, but she enjoyed it alot) by making the rule, that she could take some small treat everytime she made a legal move with the piece we studied. Now she knows how to set up the pieces, how the move, how to check and avoid check, and what chekmate is.
Of course I help a lot when we play, but we both have a great time.
So, by all means, go ahead and start playing :-)

TheGreatOogieBoogie
Sangwin wrote:
Ubik42 wrote:

awww... he probably see's the value you place on chess and doesn't want to took silly in your eyes, it's tricky becuase on one hand if you convincingly let him win he may really think he outsmarted you and some eight year olds are pretty quick socially..  on the other hand his not wanting to play for fear of not impressing Dad wont help his chess either.  I suspect he has been paying attention and if he finds some kids his own age he'll wipe the floor with them :)  8 is a geat age, btw my youngest of 3 just turned 9!  and sadly, no girls to add to the ranks of WGM's. :( ...yet!

He independently discovered the Staunton Gambit when I played the Dutch against him so there's definately something there.  He didn't win but I still have to tell him that many starting out do much worse. 

B-Lamberth

Another motivating I found was great for my daughter was that I made videos where I exsplain stuff about chess. I just recorded the computer screen with an online recording tool while I ran some program with 3d board, I think it was Fritz 11 Anyways, from time to time shell ask if she can see the videos and everytime she then askes if I want to play some chess. 

akafett

I learned at age 8. I think it is wonderful for kids to learn this game.

Pat_Zerr

I wish I'd learned younger and had someone to play against and teach me the basics.  I learned what the pieces are and how they moved at around age 10 but never really learned how to play until a few years ago.

Ubik42
Ubik42 wrote:

1. I think Family Guy is funny.

2. 8 year olds should NOT be watching Family Guy.

bigpoison

Don't you think it would be cool if your daughter could beat you at a game of chess when she's seven?!

I know a lot of, seemingly, intelligent people who think Family Guy is funny.  It boggles the mind.

Doggy_Style

I know a lot of, seemingly, intelligent people who think Family Guy is funny.  It boggles the mind.

You just don't recognise a good chicken fight, when you see it.

kleelof

My daughter has taught me a lot about life. If she can beat me at 7, and teach me something about chess, I won't mind.

I am not a Family Guy fan. I am a traditional Simpsons and, when I'm feeling fiesty, King of The Hill fan.

Ubik42
bigpoison wrote:

Don't you think it would be cool if your daughter could beat you at a game of chess when she's seven?!

I know a lot of seemingly intellgient people who dont think its funny.

And of course, some people who arent even seemingly intelligent dont find it very funny, like Sarah Palin.

bigpoison
Doggy_Style wrote:

You just don't recognise a good chicken fight, when you see it.

Agreed.  I just don't see the humor in repetitive idiocy.

vinothbabu

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself." - Einstien.

Its a great start, i started playing chess only when i was around 12-13. 5yrs kid is perfect start.

GSHAPIROY
kleelof wrote:

The other day my 5 year old daughter saw that I have set-up my chessboard. Ever since then, she had hounded me to teach her to play chess. Unfortunately, she is not keen to accept the answer 'WHen you are older'.

Then I started thinking that perhaps there are some things about chess or perhaps some scaled-down approach I can take.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation or know of a similar situation? Am I just underestimating the abilities of a 5 y.o. to grasp the basic moves? Or am I just affraid she will be crushing me at chess by the time she is 7?

A girl from china learned when she was 3 and is now like 2nd best WGM in the world!!

macer75
GSHAPIROY wrote:
kleelof wrote:

The other day my 5 year old daughter saw that I have set-up my chessboard. Ever since then, she had hounded me to teach her to play chess. Unfortunately, she is not keen to accept the answer 'WHen you are older'.

Then I started thinking that perhaps there are some things about chess or perhaps some scaled-down approach I can take.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation or know of a similar situation? Am I just underestimating the abilities of a 5 y.o. to grasp the basic moves? Or am I just affraid she will be crushing me at chess by the time she is 7?

A girl from china learned when she was 3 and is now like 2nd best WGM in the world!!

You mean Hou Yifan? If I'm not mistaken, currently she's the #1 female chess player in the world in terms of rating.

Ziggyblitz

Judit Polgar is top female.