Forums

6 months of hard training

Sort:
Scottrf

Forget GM (wont happen), or master in 3 years. Set realistic intermediate goals, i.e. gaining 200 points in a year or you're just going to be frustrated when (inevitably) you don't make them.

knightwriter2000

Scottrf, I think you are right that I should set some intermediary goals. That would be a great way to keep the frustration at bay, as you say. I completely agree.

Vivinski

I was basically goint to say what Natalia Pogonina. If you are going to do something like that, do it because you like chess, not because you want to become a national master or something.

Also, maybe it's a good idea that when you do tactics trainer, to try to solve the puzzles faster. Tactics trainer is the only concrete thing I do to 'train' my chess. For me, it really is a tool to burn in patterns. It doesn't matter if you miss a few tactics as long as you learn the patterns. Later on, you'll use those patterns to deliver other threats, so your opponent might for example be able to block a mate in two, but will have to leave a piece hanging in the process.

It would also be wise to play long otb games which is something that doesn't particularly appeal to me.

Oh, and get a paid chess.com membership, there's so much material on here, it will make you sick

Coach-Bill

You have some time on your hands...One of the key components of chess improvement is "How much time do you have for chess?" I address this topic in my free video lessons course in lesson 001. I have everything you need in my 11 videos in that free lessons program for you to know what to do to acheive a master rating.

knightwriter2000
aww-rats wrote:

You have some time on your hands...One of the key components of chess improvement is "How much time do you have for chess?" I address this topic in my free video lessons course in lesson 001. I have everything you need in my 11 videos in that free lessons program for you to know what to do to acheive a master rating.

Thanks aww-rats. I've checked out your website and this material looks terrific. I will look into your videos and I might be interested in some one on one training.

zborg
[COMMENT DELETED]
zborg

Making USCF B class or perhaps A Class (@1800) is a bit more realistic.  Playing strength jumps qualitatively every 400 rating points.

90 percent of competitors won't break USCF 1800.  So you might be tilting at windmills.

Many dozens of threads have beat this topic to death.  Perhaps you might want to browse one of the more recent ones, (see below).  

Comments by NMs (and many others) in the following thread, I find eminently persuasive.  The jokes are pretty good, too.  Smile

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/can-an-average-person-ever-break-2000?page=1

Quay-Z

Is life so calculable as chess?