Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Advanced Chess Training

• 3 years ago · Quote · #1

ChristianSoldier007

Hello everyone! This may sound weird coming from a 1300, but I am looking for a good free online advanced chess training tool or advice on advanced training. While my rating doesn't depict it, I have an extremely thourough knowledge of chess tactcs, as well as a solid knowledge on imbalances and openings. I want more advanced training, because all i find are beginner and intermediate courses. I was thinking about investing in upgrading my account so i could have access to video lessons and chess lessons. Thanks in advance for the feedback

• 3 years ago · Quote · #2

Conflagration_Planet

I don't even know where you could free beginner, and intermediate courses.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #3

ChristianSoldier007

just google chess training there is a lot of tools for it

• 3 years ago · Quote · #4

Kingpatzer

Yes, you're tactical knowledge is unmistakable:

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=280703279

• 3 years ago · Quote · #5

ChristianSoldier007

Kingpatzer wrote:

Yes, you're tactical knowledge is unmistakable:

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game.html?id=280703279

I know it looks bad but I have recently learned not to play chess while talking to people at the same time, I am not a multitasker. Ive been talking to someone online a lot recently, and making moves while talking to them, and subsequently losing games >.< just when i reached an all time high rating too. I learned my lesson

• 3 years ago · Quote · #6

ChristianSoldier007

yeah the problem is i dont get to play OTB very much only 5 or 6 rated games thats why my USCF rating is 888. I'm going to try to get to a chess club more often and play in some one day swiss events, but im pretty busy these days

• 3 years ago · Quote · #7

Da-Novelty

Advance training...mmm you sound very serious :

Step1: Get a computer & install rybka/houdini

Step2: Get down to business ie analyse your opening

Step3: Come to chessdotcom and play a game 10mins

Step4: Repeat step2 from step3

Step4: Solve 5 combinations from Anthology of chess combinations

Step5: Study endgames with pawns/pieces

• 3 years ago · Quote · #8

ChristianSoldier007

@dengmei thanks for the advice. I have Fritz 13 but, as I just posted in another forum, cannot get it running

• 3 years ago · Quote · #9

ChristianSoldier007

yeah I have unlimited tactics traineer here already

• 3 years ago · Quote · #10

IrrationalTiger

For advanced chess training software, I'd strongly recommend Convekta's stuff at chessok.com - their endgame and middlegame training software is superb.  Also, chess.com has chess mentor, which is also great.  

• 3 years ago · Quote · #11

ChristianSoldier007

thanks @IrrationalTiger do you know of anything free?

• 3 years ago · Quote · #12

ChristianSoldier007

@alexlaw I really want to upgrade I am just counting costs and stuff. Thinking about cancelling one or two of my magazine subscriptions in exchange

• 3 years ago · Quote · #13

kapishreshta

Do it man. I think it's worth it.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #14

ChristianSoldier007

thanks for the imput

• 3 years ago · Quote · #15

kapishreshta

Look on youtube. There's a bunch of stuff by Dzindzi, GM Jesse Kraai, etc.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #16

ChristianSoldier007

thanks everyone for the input! I will definitely check out youtube, and hopefully i can get the dimond membership

• 3 years ago · Quote · #17

NachtWulf

I had a diamond trial for 10 days, and thought the mentor tool was excellent. I can't afford it (poor college student!) otherwise I'd strongly consider a subscription.

The cheaper alternative is reading/watching material online (watch vids by Kingscrusher, join the Sicilian Defense facebook group, etc.), but the best option is to actually get books and read them.

Oh, and try not to rely on engines--they're good at catching missed tactics, but they can't really teach you how to play good chess by themselves.

• 3 years ago · Quote · #18

ChristianSoldier007

yes some great points nachtwulf. I have several books, and through them have gotten my tactical/imbalance/opening knowledge. youtube and dimond membership are what I plan to puruse

• 3 years ago · Quote · #19

NachtWulf

Looking through some of your games (no offense) I think chesstempo.com is a good place to go. To be honest, I could use the tactics practice, myself. Another thing that would help improve your game is to try and develop even quicker.

By the way, here's a good use of 15 minutes: http://www.chess.com/video/player/everything-you-need-to-know-the-opening

• 2 years ago · Quote · #20

ChristianSoldier007

thanks wulf

Post your reply: