Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

African chess players


  • 8 months ago · Quote · #141

    Martin_Stahl

    foozkillah wrote:
    Martin_Stahl wrote:I ran across another article (google cache) from October of 2010 that said there were only 3 GMs of african descent; the two listed above and Pontus Carlsson from Sweden.

    ===============

    That's old, old info Martin Stahl .... from May 25,2010:

    http://www.thezimbabwean.co/sport/sports-news/31222/gwaze-now-a-grandmaster.html

    Rob Gwaze made his norm... 1st ever GM from Zimbabwe... 2nd ever African GM from Southern and Sub-Saharan Africa... 2 years after Zambian Amon Simutowe got his norm.

    While that article does say that he is a GM the FIDE site still lists him as a IM; not saying that he didn't get that last norm and and the fees weren't paid, just that he isn't listed as such. Also, his rating hasn't been over 2500 so I don't think he did qualify, even if he has 3 norms.

    So, at the time I posted that (2 years ago), it doesn't look like the information was incorrect. Of course, it is entirely plausible I missed something and I still don't know how to find out how many norms a player has so the part about the 3 norms may be correct.

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #142

    MrDamonSmith

    [COMMENT DELETED]
  • 8 months ago · Quote · #143

    Weing94

    Is Justus William included here ? He is a great player with a title,IM if i not mistaken.He also plays regularly with Carlsen in friendly matches.

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #144

    MrDamonSmith

     Justus Williams has no title yet. He has to pass 2300 first (fide rating, the only one that matters internationally) to even be a FM & his fide rating is 2251. He is however ranked # 115 in the world for his age group (under 16, he's 15 years old) & # 12 in the U.S. for under 16 year olds. Here's the website

     http://www.ferimex.com/icc/frl.php?list=0&country=0&title=1&sex=0&year=0&old=0&cat=0&size=9&update=yes

    Currently, Kayden Troff is the only IM in the U.S. under 16. On this site you can filter your searches various ways. Under category you can select age ranges. By country, by title, etc. Also, you have to leave the title section blank (it'll show - ) in order to search by age category because if it's set to show GM's, IM's, & FM's it will limit the ranking list to only titled players. Leaving it blank it will show all players based on just the rating.

  • 8 months ago · Quote · #145

    ssiba12

    Omg you guys r African players l am african which part of Africa do you come from

  • 6 months ago · Quote · #146

    AndyClifton

    bravo95 wrote:

    is this not a pseudo racist blog?

    ....

    I am disappointed

    Because it's only pseudo racist?

  • 6 months ago · Quote · #147

    Conflagration_Planet

    AndyClifton wrote:
    bravo95 wrote:

    is this not a pseudo racist blog?

    ....

    I am disappointed

    Because it's only pseudo racist?

    I was wondering if you had died. Smile

  • 6 months ago · Quote · #148

    AndyClifton

    Yes, for a time. Laughing

  • 6 months ago · Quote · #149

    discoweasel

    Andy is immortal. I like to think of him as Abe Lincoln 2.0

  • 6 months ago · Quote · #150

    Conflagration_Planet

    Smile

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #151

    MrDamonSmith

    Frankdawg wrote:

    I was searching wondering if anyone had a list of say the top 10 or 20 or 100 players of African descent. I am having a difficulty finding any rated over 2500.

    That's because there aren't any.

    Perhaps this will shed light on this discussion. Thechessdrum.net site by Daaim Shabazz is dedicated to just this issue. For those who aren't familiar with Shabazz, he's one of the foremost experts on the subject of pigmentation monitoring (that's the practice of obsessing over peoples skin color) of chess players & he clearly has dedicated himself to this seemingly important area of study. Yep, you heard it right. He's obsessed over what color chess players are, just like the OP & a few others on this thread. Read page 1 as a start. 

     Anyway, his hard work & dedication in the area of pigmentation monitoring should be a beacon of encouragement to all pigmentation monitors everywhere. Given his expertise & long time commitment to the practice of obsessing over the skin color of chess players it seems sensible that his research should be given significant credibility. So based on his own research (after all, he's the preeminant authority on the fuggin' color of chessplayers & their fuggin' skill level) here is a list of the worlds top black chess players, the very best. The OP mentioned that he was having trouble finding any over 2500, well, that's because there aren't any. This is the top 5 & their world rank. If there are any missing please post player & rating:

                                          

    1 Pontus Carlsson 2499       #839                 

    2 Maurice Ashley  2446    # 1,340        

    3 Kenny Solomon  2360    # 3,055     

    4 Watu Kobese      2341   # 3,574        

    5 Willie Morrison   2299    # 5,057        

     

    I hope this helps in the research Laughing

     

    More fun facts: top children to pass 2500

    1. Sergey Karjakin       12 yrs, 3 mths

    2. Judit Polgar            12 yrs, 4 mths

    3. Magnus Carlsen       13 yrs, 3 mths

    4. Wesley So               13 yrs, 5 mths

    5. Yi Wei                     13 yrs, 6 mths   

     Laughing

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #152

    Wilbert_78

    Interesting facts. I had this discussion with my girlfriend only recently. She is a psychologist and she thought it might be due to difference in culture.

    Before you can become a grandmaster (or a chessplayer) you have to be exposed to the game of chess. I found that an interesting point of view. If noone in your direct family plays chess and you don't get exposed to it as a (young) kid it will be a tough cookie to ever get to GM levels.

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #153

    corrijean

    Geller_uri99 wrote:

    I'l surely be the first Nigerian GM, I'v defeated all the CMs and NMs I've played in mylife and am ranked at FM level, awesome! Am on course to reach I'm!!!!

    Uri Geller?

  • 4 months ago · Quote · #154

    AndyClifton

    Boy, could that guy play the spoons.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #155

    phoenixdq

    So you think people will misunderstand when you say something... try typing it.

    Szammie has a point that Africans may not have the same opportunities to obtain titles as most of the rest of the world.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #156

    jbushell

    Access to materials, and books in native language.

    Disposable income to spend on chess.  Computers and the internet are only just becoming popular there... etc.  Whereas Europe and the rest of the world have had them for nearly 30 years.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #157

    Ziggy_Zugzwang

    I'm surprised Nigerians have little disposable income, I constantly get emails from generous Nigerians who are soon to be inheritees of massive fortune for a small outlay on my part that will smooth their receipt of their estate.

    I expect to be very rich soon.

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #158

    MrDamonSmith

    The OP & specifically Szammie were speaking of black players in general, not only Africans. World wide, not just one location. Page 1 will make it clear what they were asking & discussing.

    By the way, everyone on that brief list has had a whole world of opportunities & tools along with millions & millions of others. 

  • 4 weeks ago · Quote · #159

    yureesystem

    Unfortunately there is only one GM in the US, hopefully there will be more.


Back to Top

Post your reply: