Forums

Analysis Board and Calculation

Sort:
Chapter_Eleven

In turn-based games, I would like to set a personal rule of never using the analysis board to check lines, because in my opinion it limits the effectiveness of working on visulization and calculation.  In a OTB I will not be able to use the crutch of having an analysis board, so why lean on them during turn-based games;  well, at times I cave in and use it;  What are yout thoughts and the advantages and disadvantages of using an analysis board?

MoonlessNight

It probably is better not to use it, but an idea is to calculate on your own, and then use the analysis board to double check your analysis.

NimzoRoy

Why bother playing turn-based chess if you don't want to analyze OTB instead of exclusively in your head? Good luck in remembering all your analysis since you wont be writing any of it down, you'll need it. Just stick to live chess and the tactics trainer etc if you think that using the analysis bd is a "disadvantage" IMHO.

Chapter_Eleven

I don't mind using the analysis board post game, and I don't mind writing down lines to remember lines, but reading a variation in text and visulizing it is a greater challenge than opening up a new screen of a mock board to move pieces.  The analysis bd is not a disadvantage post game, but during the game it makes visulization unneeded.  So, as I said, one can remember his lines by merely typing out various lines instead of moving pieces.

MoonlessNight

Well, if you are using cc to improve your otb, then don't use it, but if you just play chess for fun and want better results, then don't use it.

Foridejack

I wish it did not exist, but it has saved my skin alot

DunnoItAll
nate23 wrote:

It probably is better not to use it, but an idea is to calculate on your own, and then use the analysis board to double check your analysis.

Exactly what I do.

Chapter_Eleven

I guess one could try to set rules such as, "I will not use the analysis board on any line that is under 4 moves"  So one could get pratice on visualizing the position 2-3 moves ahead and in some complex games that can still put one in a tactical firestorm which is challenging for lower-rated players like myself. 

In my opinion, if we are using the analysis board for every 1-2 variations then we are doing ourself a disservice; then again if you have had a 16 hour day of strenuous work and are just too tired to concentrate then it is very easy to use the crutch.