Forums

Anand v. Topalov 2010

Sort:
sclukey

So, I have been dying to know what the chess community thinks about the upcoming World Chess Championship match between these two great GMs. I personally believe that Topalov may have a slight advantage, and he is (in my humble opinion) likely to become the champion after this match.

I would like to know who you think will win and why.

maulmorphy

I think Vishy is going to retain his title. last time against Kramnik he was spot on.

Cutebold

I hope that Vishy wins, because I'm a big fan of his. What I know, however, is that it will be hard fought. We haven't seen Topalov at major tournaments in awhile despite his huge rating, which means he's certainly preparing in depth for his chance at claiming the title.I support Vishy's experience and practice.

Go Vishy!

ReedRichards

I believe Anand will win...in the current Corus Chess Tournament, he is the only one who has not lost a game....says something of his form playing the likes of Carlsen, Shirof, and defeating Kramnik easily today....while still holding back special variations for the match with Topalov.

aadaam

I don't mind who wins, I'm just gagging for it.

JuicyJ72

It should be a rather interesting match and hopefully it will generate some interesting games.  As Topalov loves complexity we shouldn't get too bored following the match.  Anand seems to play extremely solid chess, not too many great risks, just expanding within the position versus Toplaov's more agressive demeanor. 

All in all I am actually more excited about seeing the qualifying for the next WCC. 

Natalia_Pogonina

Here's Kramnik's take on this: http://blip.tv/play/hIkMgc%2BjOQI

Shivsky

Just curious ... we've seen Topalov blow away the competition in multi-player tourneys, but how is his history of tearing apart anyone at head-to-head match play?  I've seen quite the opposite in the Kramnik match and just wondering if I missed anyone besides Kamsky?   

Not trying to stir the pot, just wanted to compare the two players in terms of match playing experience.

JuicyJ72

Wow, Kramnik is no fan of Toplaov and his team.  I suppose that's understandable.  He seems to be all but predicting that they will use underhanded tactics in Sofia.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

Here's Kramnik's take on this: http://blip.tv/play/hIkMgc%2BjOQI

That's awesome. I'd never heard Kramnik speak before. He sounds, to me, a lot like Kaidanov.

orangehonda
Shivsky wrote:

Just curious ... we've seen Topalov blow away the competition in multi-player tourneys, but how is his history of tearing apart anyone at head-to-head match play?  I've seen quite the opposite in the Kramnik match and just wondering if I missed anyone besides Kamsky?   

Not trying to stir the pot, just wanted to compare the two players in terms of match playing experience.

I don't know, but that's a good question.  Anand's preparation against Kramnik was excellent of course, but like Kramnik said after losing, hard work isn't enough (he said he worked extremely hard on his own preparation), you have to prepare correctly and use your time efficiently.  So even if Topalov work very hard in preparation, it doesn't necessarily mean he will be better in match play.

In terms of level of play, Topalov didn't seem to blow away Kamsky, it seemed pretty close.  Kamsky is a very strong player of course, but I think Anand is on another level.  It will be interesting to see how effective Topalov's preparation is.

Interesting interview with Kramnik.  If Topolov really hated Kramnik, then he'd make this match with Anand go as smooth as possible Smile well, at least I hope this WC match is only about chess, and not antics off the board.

eXecute

I think Topalov may win, simply because of his preparation (as it is his only chance, so he will be pressured to work extra hard), and Anand doesn't feel the pressure, except for losing the title, but he may be overconfident by now, he may take more risks simply because he's already WCC.

I don't know how much rating has to do with it, but Topalov has a pretty high rating, perhaps it means he can face off against the best GMs and come out ahead in high-pressure rated and timed matches.

Anand may win as well, his form is strong. He has done it before, so maybe he'll be more relaxed, while Topalov may be nervous.

On the other hand, Topalov is much younger, he may learn more variations and can study anand's hundreds of past games. While Anand may have less games of Topalov's to study.

orangehonda

For players who both will open with either e4 or d4 I wonder what kind of immense preparation Anand and Topalov are doing?

Chess life had an article about some of Anand's prep against Kramnik.  Basically how these guys who were helping him would sometimes stay up all night coming up with relevant study positions, opening prep, novelties, etc and Anand would eat breakfast, go work out, then for 10 hours or something have these guys feed him all that stuff.  At the end of the day he'd go to sleep and his team may be up another 5 hours preparing more for tomarrow... pretty nuts.

BacteriaInfection

I'm rooting for Topalov.  Anand has been the most undeserving and boring Champion in the history of chess.  No charisma, no personality.  Completely dull and one-dimensional.

BW-SugarDom

Topalov will win because the match is being held in home turf.

TheOldReb
BacteriaInfection wrote:

I'm rooting for Topalov.  Anand has been the most undeserving and boring Champion in the history of chess.  No charisma, no personality.  Completely dull and one-dimensional.

This is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever seen. 

Ziryab
BacteriaInfection wrote:

You prefer boorish (Topalov) over good manners (Anand)? You discount that no champion ever worked longer and harder to reach the top than Anand? I cannot even imagine the observations you have made to reach this conclusion. Your view is contrary to everything that I have seen of Anand.

TheOldReb

If Topalov plays against Anand as poorly as he did against Kamsky he will lose for sure. He will have to play better chess against Anand to win. His risk taking is great for tournaments but I think will hurt him in a match against another top player. However, his risk taking makes his games some of the most exciting/interesting games to follow and he has very few short colorless draws, probably fewer than any other in the top ten. I just hope its a "clean" match with no off the board stunts like occured in Elista with Kramnik.

Ziryab

This match offers promise for some of the most exciting games in a world championship match, but the danger of off board antics are higher than any match since Reykjavik 1972. I'm on the edge of my seat anticipating good chess and hoping that's the focus.

Atos
Ziryab wrote:

This match offers promise for some of the most exciting games in a world championship match, but the danger of off board antics are higher than any match since Reykjavik 1972. I

Or the Karpov-Korchnoi matches, which had Korchnoi demanding to play under the Jolly Roger.