Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Anand vs World was a joke.


  • 20 months ago · Quote · #1

    EternalChess

    Anand was hosting a simul in where people pay $200+ to play him (and 30 people were in the simul), and chess.com said can we host Anand v World simul where we input it on a laptop?

    And Anand said yes, and chess.com made a big deal out of it but its really just some lame way to make an Anand vs World.. I am dissapointed. If it was Anand vs Us and ONLY that, I would have liked it.

    Anand moves in 2 seconds vs us.. while other players he is thinking for over 30 seconds.. really sad indeed. He does not care about our game.

    And then he takes a draw by repitition..


    I am ashamed of chess.com staff for launching an unorganized Anand vs World, they thought they could enter a simul and do it like that? Wow that is really childish of the staff.

     

    I lost respect for Anand's weak thinking, but also ashamed that we took a draw by repitition.. but the majority was 1200s who wanted to draw him so the minority couldnt outvote them.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #2

    skilledwolf

    Even the people who liked Anand-Gelfand thought that draw was premature.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #3

    DaBigOne

    Why do you keep repeating the same comment on every Anand vs. The World forum bwolf93? Its getting weird.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #4

    TheGrobe

    More to the point, why was a second thread created when the OP was already engaged in the first one?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #5

    skilledwolf

    I wasn't sure that anyone noticed lol

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #6

    EternalChess

    TheGrobe wrote:

    More to the point, why was a second thread created when the OP was already engaged in the first one?

    One thread (which is NOT mine), was a discussion of the moves as they went on. 

    I made this thread in view of my opinion of the match, and how pathetic it was.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #7

    Boheme

    It's evident that Anand didn't care about this game, and it is also clear that "we" played lamely ... what chess.com should arrange is instead a 1 day/move thing like for Kasparov v. the World in 1999.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #8

    EternalChess

    Atleast in the Carlsen vs the World (I am biased because I like him), he took his time, he made his moves, he was only focused on our game (not 29 others),  and it got great recognition.

    Did Anand even know he was playing 6,000 other people?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #9

    kavanam

    I cant believe it is the same Anand I saw some years ago! Very poor performance.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #10

    EternalChess

    The last 2 years or so he been performing below par, so it is not surprising to me.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #11

    Here_Is_Plenty

    Which world was he playing against?  Was the match Federation of Planets sanctioned?  Do the inhabitants get rating points from it?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #12

    EternalChess

    He played against 1400s (on average) in "this" world. Inhabitants get pride for drawing a WC!

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #13

    EternalChess

    Sad thing is that is what it looked like he did lol.

    He just took the money and said, "see ya!"

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #14

    scandium

    I knew it was going to be crap when I saw the first move played: 1...d5. No offence to anyone who plays that, but what it said to me was that the vote was going to be dominated by the average rating on chess.com.

    And the time control meant no time for serious discussion of moves, so that the majority vote could let the stronger 2000+ rated opponents discuss why their alternatives were better.

    And lastly, the scheduling of this was beyond belief. Does chess.com not realize that most of us have uhmm... jobs? Like, at 10 AM PST we are at that place called work, earning the money to pay for things like the diamond membership here. If they were going with 10 AM PST, why not pick a Saturday or Sunday to do that? Or if it has to be that early on a Monday, why not give us enough time between moves so we can at least pretend to earn our paychecks while still trying to participate.

    Very disappointed.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #15

    ChessforFunn

    I was going to start my own thread about this but some people beat me to the punch :(

    Vishy Anand probsbly doesn't care that we got  draw. Chess.com paid him, and that's what he cares about. :P

    __________________________________________________________________

     

    There was once a man who forced a well known draw in a simul against Kasparov. Kasparov didn't care- but he told the man one thing:

    "You have wasted this opportunity to play the World Champion. Even if you drew me, you wasted a chance to have a learning experience."

    I'm happy that that the man wasn't me.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #16

    TheGrobe

    ChessforFunn wrote:

    I was going to start my own thread about this but some people beat me to the punch :(

    Vishy Anand probsbly doesn't care that we got  draw. Chess.com paid him, and that's what he cares about. :P

    __________________________________________________________________

     

    There was once a man who forced a well known draw in a simul against Kasparov. Kasparov didn't care- but he told the man one thing:

    "You have wasted this opportunity to play the World Champion. Even if you drew me, you wasted a chance to have a learning experience."

    I'm happy that that the man wasn't me.

    What if the man was an aspiring portrait artist?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #17

    trimind

    Well, I'm very dissapointed about the way the game went.

    An uneventful draw, nothing more.

    Looks like both sides didn't try to make anything, and both sides are content with a quick, easy draw. I would rather lose than draw in such position.

    To be honest, I'm surprised at the very first move, when the majority went for d5 instead of Nf6. Soon after, a bunch of illogical moves from our sides came such as Bb4, 0-0, and Nb6,Nf8. Totally passive and lack of fighting spirit. I knew our team has composed of vastly lower rated players( no offence here), so they would need some strong IM or at least 2000+ to guide them on to a good fight by discussing the ongoing game.

    I know for sure that people can learn from each other, and experience something new from the positions. However, 6000+ played their own games against the WC V.Anand. A lot of lame moves, I've seen during the game and actually I stopped playing after just 10 moves.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #18

    samurai99

    bob

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #19

    beardogjones

    trimind wrote:

    Well, I'm very dissapointed about the way the game went.

    An uneventful draw, nothing more.

    Looks like both sides didn't try to make anything, and both sides are content with a quick, easy draw. I would rather lose than draw in such position.

    To be honest, I'm surprised at the very first move, when the majority went for d5 instead of Nf6. Soon after, a bunch of illogical moves from our sides came such as Bb4, 0-0, and Nb6,Nf8. Totally passive and lack of fighting spirit. I knew our team has composed of vastly lower rated players( no offence here), so they would need some strong IM or at least 2000+ to guide them on to a good fight by discussing the ongoing game.

    I know for sure that people can learn from each other, and experience something new from the positions. However, 6000+ played their own games against the WC V.Anand. A lot of lame moves, I've seen during the game and actually I stopped playing after just 10 moves.

    I am so sorry that the World's play did not live up to your expectations.

    Your comments make us feel even lowlier than we usually do. Do you

    mind if we still participate in this forum?

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #20

    scandium

    joeydvivre wrote:

    What kind of nonsense is this disparaging 1..d5?  The list of Super-GM's who play 1..d5 is huge.  There are all kinds of interesting, fighting, great games that come out of 1..d5.  Morozevich for example plays it all the time.  You can accuse Morozevich of a few things, but you can't accuse him of not playing fighting chess.  

    This "we didn't play fighting chess because we played 1..d5" is dumb.

    (I voted for Nf6, incidentally, FWIW because I have decided that I don't care of the Benoni sucks).

    It wasn't the move itself that was the issue - you're missing the point. Myself, and at least one other person, took the symmetrical reply of 1... d5 as a hint that the game was headed toward the kind of solid and stodgy game that 1.d4 d5 can lead to... and did.

    Its not that 1...d5 has to be boring and drawish. But it did turn out to be just that. I didn't see 1...d5 heralding one of the sharp lines that can come of it, I saw it as heralding solid, stodgy, boring play.

    It just sucked all around. And it wasn't 1...d5 that made it suck. It was the game itself and the quick draw. 1... d5 just happened to be chess.com's first opportunity to take the game in the direction it went.


Back to Top

Post your reply: