Forums

And just why do we need a World Champion?

Sort:
Odie_Spud

I remember all the world championships since the second Botvinnik-Smyslov match and have played through most of the games going back to Lasker-Capa. However, I haven’t bothered with any since the Fischer-Spassky match because they ceased being of interest me. I don’t know why; they just aren't. I have the same nasty attitude towards most GM events these days. Perhaps it’s because of the avarice of the players and organizers?!

PleaseSignHere____
redbirdpat wrote:

All competition is about who is the best.  Competitors of any real sport don't play just to improve their games and give exhibitions.  They want to prove they are the best.  And the only way to prove you are the best is to have a "title fight".

If I say I am better than you, then I should have to play you to prove it.  Not having a championship for chess would make chess a joke.

There are sure to be some, maybe many? who play with the hope of one day being "The Best", and they are wished all the best if thats there goal, but there are also many who play just for the adrenalin in the challange, the enjoyment of mutual learning, or to pass the time observing the many variations in play, or maybe one of the many other reasons, other than being "THE BEST".

The claim that chess would be a joke without having a championship, is  subjective observation.

Not everyone likes the taste of Lobster, but hey that just leaves more for me.

electricpawn
PleaseSignHere____ wrote:
redbirdpat wrote:

All competition is about who is the best.  Competitors of any real sport don't play just to improve their games and give exhibitions.  They want to prove they are the best.  And the only way to prove you are the best is to have a "title fight".

If I say I am better than you, then I should have to play you to prove it.  Not having a championship for chess would make chess a joke.

There are sure to be some, maybe many? who play with the hope of one day being "The Best", and they are wished all the best if thats there goal, but there are also many who play just for the adrenalin in the challange, the enjoyment of mutual learning, or to pass the time observing the many variations in play, or maybe one of the many other reasons, other than being "THE BEST".

The claim that chess would be a joke without having a championship, is  subjective observation.

Not everyone likes the taste of Lobster, but hey that just leaves more for me.

Was chess a joke for the many centuries it existed before the advent of a world championship? This is a recent development in the history of the game.

clms_chess
Odie_Spud wrote:

I remember all the world championships since the second Botvinnik-Smyslov match and have played through most of the games going back to Lasker-Capa. However, I haven’t bothered with any since the Fischer-Spassky match because they ceased being of interest me. I don’t know why; they just aren't. I have the same nasty attitude towards most GM events these days. Perhaps it’s because of the avarice of the players and organizers?!

Thats too bad... because THIS recent World Championship was one of the closest fought matches ever. A real nail biter. I mean.. come one... Anand wins as Black in the 12th and last game after being tied 5 1/2 to 5 1/2. Thats like the Chess version of a game 7 (NBA, NHL or MLB).

kco

Go on Spud say it ....." I told you so !"

Crazychessplaya
kco wrote:

Actually he did, in a comment on Pacifique's LOL blog...

Personally, I did enjoy the Interzonals and the candidates matches in "the good old days." The WCC finals themselves were often a letdown in comparison to what happened in the prelims. 

Today, the championship cycle appears too haphazard for my taste. I don't like short matches, I don't like the idea of a single Swiss to determine the candidate. The fact that it is Carlsen, and not Kramnik playing for the title today is largely due to chance. If only Chucky had a bad day in that last round...

royalbishop
Crazychessplaya wrote:
kco wrote:

Actually he did, in a comment on Pacifique's LOL blog...

Personally, I did enjoy the Interzonals and the candidates matches in "the good old days." The WCC finals themselves were often a letdown in comparison to what happened in the prelims. 

Today, the championship cycle appears too haphazard for my taste. I don't like short matches, I don't like the idea of a single Swiss to determine the candidate. The fact that it is Carlsen, and not Kramnik playing for the title today is largely due to chance. If only Chucky had a bad day in that last round...

I like the Chucky part so much.

Rational_Optimist

do we have a world championship in tennis?

we need to rely on ratings and super tournaments to determine the best player in the world. the current system is very old. world champion is granted a place in next world chess championship and by drawing 12 games and one win in some chaotic rapid games, he can remain world champion till next two years. atleast world champion has to play in next chess candidates.

royalbishop
tesla1 wrote:

do we have a world championship in tennis?

we need to rely on ratings and super tournaments to determine the best player in the world. the current system is very old. world champion is granted a place in next world chess championship and by drawing 12 games and one win in some chaotic rapid games, he can remain world champion till next two years. atleast world champion has to play in next chess candidates.

Another reason why Anand must go. If we try to change this system while he is champion all kinds of things are going to bust lose. Carlsen needs to win so we have the opportunity for change all around.

AngeloPardi
Odie_Spud wrote:

That's sad, because there was a lot of great chess in the next WC.
Korchnoï's endings, Karpov's strategy, Kasparov's attacks...

noImAparrot

welcome to our brand new show

of where i comment on your oldest forum i can find and you cant do anything about it

happy.png

NikkiLikeChikki

Imagine, when this thread was started, Toy Story 3 was in theaters, Anand had just defeated Topalov for the world championship, and I still had braces.

noImAparrot

AND

it was 2010

which was aeons ago

AussieMatey

AND Gaga wore that MEAT dress, WooWoo was born - whoever he is, Collingwood drew with St Kilda in the AFL Final, Gomez called Biebs her "little brother" and I scraped my index finger on a rose bush outside the front door.