Forums

And Yet MORE Silly Rules In Chess lol

Sort:
Zaxso

What about when pawns reach the queening square, instead they have to turn around and start moving and capturing in the opposite direction? That could get very confusing very fast!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for all of the recent posts.

Kdamica: Good point, we will have to change the way that Pawns capture other Pieces as this goofy idea where the Pawns block each other is no fun at all.

ruffian1

http://www.chessvariants.org/

cabadenwurt

Chesspooljuly13: A very good point about the confusion with Castling therefore it should be eliminated  !

cabadenwurt

LearningTigran: I'm glad that you brought up the problem in regards to Polygamy because after all we must not be seen to be encouraging deviant behaviour with this game  lol.

TeraHammer

you know what should be good for the game: the joker double move. To be used only once in a game! Cannot use after check. Would give chess such an extra dimension!

msjenned

Black moves first. It may not be as silly as you want it to be but it can be nice to see with 1. e5 e4 2. Nf6 Nf3 and it is a Petroff with a twist.

TeraHammer
Zaxso wrote:

What about when pawns reach the queening square, instead they have to turn around and start moving and capturing in the opposite direction? That could get very confusing very fast!

that is a great new rule. Digitally it would be less confusing as you can turn the pawn image upside down. But indeed, OTB pawns should get a crown on their pawnheads indicating they're moving backwards :-D

Zaxso
TeraHammer wrote:
Zaxso wrote:

that is a great new rule. Digitally it would be less confusing as you can turn the pawn image upside down. But indeed, OTB pawns should get a crown on their pawnheads indicating they're moving backwards :-D

Yeah, you would have to differentiate them from your other pawns. And if they somehow make it back to their original rank, they turn into Super Queens! Queens that do everything Queens do, but are immune to capture!  :D

cabadenwurt

Flatters1: I can see your point about the danger of too much change but standing still may not be an option either. People that are my age ( and were Star Trek fans back in the old days ) can remember all of the buzz created the first time that they showed Mr.Spock playing on a multi-level Chessboard. It seemed as tho Chess had at last moved into the Space Age ! However for some reason the Star Trek Chess never caught on and now we are faced with the reality of having several threads here complaining about all of the " Out Of Date Rules " that people have to use while playing Chess. A sad state of affairs indeed  lol. 

plotsin

I think that you should be able to castle through check or to get out of check so long as the final result doesn't put you in check...Also it'd be interesting to see a variant where when both players are ready, they give a co-ordinate to an arbiter, and the arbiter plays both the moves at the same time, the goal would be to get the most points from captures; you can also expose your king, and capture him, he'd be worth 7 points.

Ispeakenglish

why are you all complaining if you dont like chess how it is dont play it

blake78613

I think pieces that retreat should be demoted.

Here_Is_Plenty

Alcoholic chess should be the standard world championship format.  Or maybe chess boxing.

wilford-n
NimzoRoy wrote:

cabadenwurt You might like chess as it was played several hundred yrs ago in the Medieval ages: the Q moved like the K, pawns only moved one sq at a time  and the Bishops only moved 2 sqs at a time diagonally, Rooks & Kts moved as they do now. GMs Benko & Bisguier played a match with these rules and the games went of for hundreds of moves...

I've wanted to try this too. Bishops moved EXACTLY two squares diagonally, and could jump over interposing pieces like knights. Pawns promoted ONLY to queens (then called "ministers"). According to some sources, the black K started on d8 and the black Q on e8.

An interesting consequence of the bishop's move is that each B could only reach 8 squares, and as a consequence they couldn't attack each other. The diagram shows all squares reachable by the bishops.

dmeng
TeraHammer wrote:

you know what should be good for the game: the joker double move. To be used only once in a game! Cannot use after check. Would give chess such an extra dimension!

An interesting idea, but wouldn't that make the game incredibly broken?

Zaxso
Ispeakenglish wrote:

why are you all complaining if you dont like chess how it is dont play it

Not complaining, just having a little fun with some ideas. 

cabadenwurt

Wow, thanks for all of the interesting new ideas. Good stuff including: Bi-directional Pawns, Joker double-moves, Black to move first ( alphabetical ), Immortal Super-Queens, multiple captures, capturing the King, Alcoholic Chess, demotions for retreating,  Mad-Queen Chess, lots of fun ideas. It is like a whole new game --- perhaps we can call it " Super-Duper Chess "  lol.

CoyoteLoco

I think each side should have eight pawns, a king and a monster-queen (that can move like a queen  or a knight); each promoted pawn can become another monster-queen, a regular queen, a rook, a knight or a bishop. All other rules of current chess (including stale-mate) stay as is. It's more fun if you play this after a few beers.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Veganmeatball, a few Beers sounds very good to me !

Ispeakenglish: I imagine that you didn't have a chance to read my 1st post in this thread so you missed the " Tounge In Cheek " part. We are mainly having a bit of fun here with our favourite game, perhaps I should have put this thread under the " Fun With Chess " heading  lol.