Forums

And Yet MORE Silly Rules In Chess lol

Sort:
batgirl
cabadenwurt wrote:

Another item to add to our list of silly threads , it seems that someone dislikes the Perpetual Check rule ( never a dull moment ). 

Well, Perpetual Check is so. . . . indefinite.

DrSpudnik

I like the enduring quality of perpetual check. The German name for it is "ewigschach:" eternal check! Laughing

Javan64

How about this?  Eliminate the "checkmate" rule, then nobody loses! Cool

Javan64
AndyClifton wrote:

I thought he said, "The game is afoot."

Actually, Holmes stole that line from Willie Shakespeare.  It was originally used in King Henry IV, Part 1...or maybe King Henry V, act 3.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for all of the recent posts, lots of good ideas there. Smile

Javan64
cabadenwurt wrote:

Thanks for all of the recent posts, lots of good ideas there.

...and some not so good!  Laughing

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post Javan64.

I see that there is a very nice thread on the go now that asks if you could change 1 rule in Chess which one would it be. There are some very interesting ideas being posted there.

cabadenwurt

I notice that we now have a thread here in these forums that recommends avoiding Opening Theory. A very interesting idea that would of course make Chess a whole lot more appealing to newcomers. Wink

corrijean

I've played a little 960 chess. I found it fun. 

DrSpudnik

Maybe, but Team 960 is nerve wracking!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts. I've never tried 960 Chess but it does sound interesting tho.

Another new thread that is on the go here now concerns " Talent Or Devotion & Genius ---Made Or Born ? " ( and they also mention Obsession as well ). Well I must say that this one could turn into quite an interesting thread, or then again perhaps it could be quite a whole lot of fun. Laughing

cabadenwurt

I see there is a fairly new thread in the forms stating that Morphy was terrible. Paul Morphy was the greatest Chess player of his era and beat all of the best players of his time ( only Staunton ducked him ). Indeed many experts consider him to be the 1st ( unofficial ) World Champion, we should all be so terrible. Wink

cabadenwurt

I may soon have to start a " Silly Threads " item in these forums as the above mentioned thread on Morphy is still on the go and it is going downhill fast. Therefore a good question might be: how silly can a thread get ?

ivandh

You weren't here when somebody won a contest through bondage of the leather variety.

TheGrobe

Or dedicated four years to having borgqueen tech him English, specifically as it pertains to the phrase "strategically position". Or argued with all comers about how the sky was not blue. Or posed as chess.com's ultimate villain, an admitted cheater with an axe to grind and a custom developed engine to test....

The list is long.

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the new posts, probably a good thing that I missed those episodes in the forums.

I see that the above mentioned thread about Morphy is still going and has now passed 300 posts, are people feeding the troll ? Laughing

DrSpudnik

The troll has quite the appetite. His previous troll posting on his "immortal game" has even been revived. Frown

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the post DrSpudnik. Yes he does seem to thrive on controversy, I see he has that thread on the go where he actually claims to have invented a Variation of one type or another. It was that sort of over the top activity that prompted me to start a thead stating that I have not invented anything ( and my record there is still intact ). Smile

DrSpudnik

You are a constant in an ever changing universe!

AndyClifton
Javan64 wrote:
AndyClifton wrote:

I thought he said, "The game is afoot."

Actually, Holmes stole that line from Willie Shakespeare.  It was originally used in King Henry IV, Part 1...or maybe King Henry V, act 3.

Oh great, yet another quotable quote from Mr Bill...