Forums

Any others with high IQ suck at chess.

Sort:
NawtyByNature

Math no problem, chemistry easy as PI. Chess not so much. I mean, what is the deal? I've been playing for 15 years and suck! My teenager made expert in a two years. Maybe that test was flawed or IQ and chess are not as related as one might think.

NawtyByNature

it's just hard to separate the success i've had in other endeavors and the shortcomings i've had in chess.

Conflagration_Planet

1847 isn't bad.

Da-Nee

Suck is a relative term; I would be ecstatic with an 1800+ rating.  

I used to think that I was intelligent, but my "underperforming" son kicks my butt.  I have decided that it depends on how your mind works-spacial relationships versus linear thinking, etc.  

AlCzervik

Cool video, Anthony. Thanks! Very helpful to someone like me that sucks at chess AND has a low IQ!

AlCzervik

Count, I bet you also have one very strong hand/arm while the other is only used to move chess pieces.

zborg
Count_Rugen wrote:

[COMMENT DELETED]

This quote would be good for any thread throughout the forums.  Laughing

Clearly no mincing of words.  Crisp and to the point.  A great "summing up," indeed.

mjconns
Count_Rugen wrote:

[COMMENT DELETED]

Ha! hahahaha!

The prentious air of this thread was brought to a comedic ending. Thank you. 

George1st

2 years ago I was actually presented with an envelope from former Prime Minister of Australia congratulating me on my involement and placing in Australia's largest ever IQ test. Out of 356,012 people aged between 16-65, I came 19th. Only the top 20 were sent this message -------------->

"On behalf of all Australians, we commend you and your ability"

That was it............lol

And yes, I totally suck at chess, infact, I find it quite difficult to find an opponent that can lose against me...lol

goldendog

...and a full head of hair.

shequan
NawtyByNature wrote:

Math no problem, chemistry easy as PI. Chess not so much. I mean, what is the deal? I've been playing for 15 years and suck! My teenager made expert in a two years. Maybe that test was flawed or IQ and chess are not as related as one might think.

actually, there was some study done and it didn't find any significant correlation between chess ability and iq scores. probably because chess mainly only involves spatial/visual analytical abilities, every part of the game is filtered through this, and iq tests are what they came up with to very generally give an approximate estimate of someone's overall intelligence, in all areas. and I think most of those tests are flawed in some way or another and aren't completely accurate, the best they can do is give a general estimate.

madhacker

Albert Einstein tried to play chess but was hopeless at it.

shequan

but I also think, most people with high intelligence will be at least decent chess players if they put a bit of time into it, but not everyone with high intelligence is going to be able to become a super gm with a 2700 fide rating, I think those people actually do have incredible spatial/visual analysis abilities, something rare that most people don't possess, just like some people have incredible voices, most people can learn to sing decently if they put some time into it, but not everyone is going to be a whitney houston.

shequan
madhacker wrote:

Albert Einstein tried to play chess but was hopeless at it.

he wasn't hopeless. he was a decent player. but it didn't interest him really and he even disliked it because of its obvious similiarity to war.

madhacker

I meant hopeless relative to his exploits in other areas.

shequan
TerminallyUnique wrote:

Albert Einstein didn't have time for chess. He said that after a long day at the office the last thing he would want to be doing with his spare time was putting himself under more mental strain with chess

this may have been true, but he was good friends with Lasker apparently. more to the truth was he just didn't like it terribly much. he was a pacifist. which brings up another quality a successful chess player has to possess. a thirst for sports, blood, battle and war, this is an innate quality that can't really be taught......for some people that kind of thing gets their brain juices all revved up, for others it just completely turns them off.

keju

From what I have observed, high IQ correlates well with tactical thinking in chess, but not necessarily with strategic thinking. So if you have high IQ and are not doing so well in chess, work more on the strategic aspects of the game.

shequan
keju wrote:

From what I have observed, high IQ correlates well with tactical thinking in chess, but not necessarily with strategic thinking. So if you have high IQ and are not doing so well in chess, work more on the strategic aspects of the game.

I'm not so sure it's so cut and dry like this. the strategic aspects of the game are just less likely to be studied as frequently and as much as tactics are by most people so it may just appear correlated. most people don't ever really progress beyond just getting a good feel for tactical patterns, which is why most people aren't master level players. correlation is not causation.

keju

omertatao: You may be right. Just an unverified hunch on my part. I'd be interested to hear what the OP (NawtybyNature) thinks though. Quite struck by his observation: "it's just hard to separate the success i've had in other endeavors and the shortcomings i've had in chess."

zborg
[COMMENT DELETED]
This forum topic has been locked