Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Any others with high IQ suck at chess.

• 2 years ago · #201

zborg

e4nf3 wrote:

I already told him that.

He refuses to study. He complains about bad chess play due to some kind of missing chess gene.

Maybe he is right. (lol)

Or maybe "The Devil Made Him Not Learn It."  After teaching him the Calculus of Variations, and Optimal Control Theory," while attending Buddhist Summer Camp, and being interviewed by CNN.

• 2 years ago · #202

Meadmaker

Here's an interesting study:  The part of the brain used for facial recognition is highly active for Chess masters studying Chess positions, but not for weak Chess players studying Chess positions.  The links below are to the original published study, and a more digestible summary.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/28/10206.full

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/eyes-the-brain/201107/chess-and-the-brain

It would be interesting to see if skill at face recognition is correlated with strong Chess playing ability.  The study didn't specifically address the question.

• 2 years ago · #203

e4nf3

...doo-dah...all the doo-dah day...

• 2 years ago · #204

Meadmaker

zborg wrote:
    e4nf3 wrote:

I already told him that.

He refuses to study. He complains about bad chess play due to some kind of missing chess gene.

Maybe he is right. (lol)

Or maybe "The Devil Made Him Not Learn It."  After teaching him the Calculus of Variations, and Optimal Control Theory," while attending Buddhist Summer Camp, and being interviewed by CNN.

I've never been interviewed by CNN, nor have I ever made any such claim.

• 2 years ago · #205

BigHickory

To become a a good chess player it helps (a lot!) if you deeply love the game because you need to spend a lot of time at it.    

But maybe REALLY intelligent people avoid the chess addiction so they can use their time for productive activities, like earning a living.Cool

• 2 years ago · #206

PatzerLars

Maybe really intelligent people avoid discussions about intelligence as well. Laughing

• 2 years ago · #207

Meadmaker

PatzerLars wrote:

Maybe really intelligent people avoid discussions about intelligence as well. 

Indeed.

In response to the criticism, I have deleted the overly lengthy anecdotes previously posted. 

I find this topic interesting, and I intend to continue it, but I had, indeed, spent a bit more time than was warranted on one particular example.

• 2 years ago · #208

ljschess

Having a high IQ does not mean that you will naturally be good at chess. They are two completely different categories of intelligence. Both have their pros and cons but in the end it really doesn't matter. You are who you are.

Luke

• 2 years ago · #209

stanhope13

I Q scores are just a general guide, not the be all etc.

• 2 years ago · #210

e4nf3

Q: Does anyone know a stupid person who doesn't think they are shmart?

A: No!

• 2 years ago · #211

AndyClifton

pyramider wrote:

I suppose there is more to chess than basic intelligence.

An astonishing finding!

• 2 years ago · #212

AlCzervik

AndyClifton wrote:
    pyramider wrote:

I suppose there is more to chess than basic intelligence.

An astonishing finding!

That guy must have a high IQ. Maybe even into triple digits.

• 2 years ago · #213

motherinlaw

Hello, everybody.  I'm coming in on this late and I'm a mediocre at best (by choice to a large extent) chess player AND a Girl, but I do have a psych doctorate and 36 years of experience in the field, including college teaching and lots of practice administering and interpreting IQ tests.

(Hope that's not too much info about "me."  Undecided Embarassed Wink)

I give you my bono fides as background to my response to Meadmaker's "Acing a test when unprepared and hungover" story.  I liked the story a lot, and found it highly relevant to this stated forum topic.

Feel free to blast away---I may live in Georgia, but am Not a "delicate flower of South'en womanhood!" Kiss

• 2 years ago · #214

PatzerLars

If you're dumb enough to get lured into a marriage, then this thread is obviously not for you. Tongue Out

• 2 years ago · #215

e4nf3

Uh, oh.

• 2 years ago · #216

e4nf3

mead: Oh dear.  That seems a bit harsh to me.  I try to save up my scorn for bigger issues, but if it's something you feel strongly about, then scorn, by all means.

No...no... There are scorn levels of, let's say, 1 to 10.

You only get a 1 from me. That's actually quite nice.

• 2 years ago · #217

PatzerLars

• 2 years ago · #218

Meadmaker

motherinlaw wrote:

I give you my bono fides as background to my response to Meadmaker's "Acing a test when unprepared and hungover" story.  I liked the story a lot, and found it highly relevant to this stated forum topic.

Why,thank you. I was hoping someone would find it amusing, or maybe someone from my alma mater would pick up on Little Kings Night.

But, more importantly, do you have any professional knowledge of the subject at hand? What interests me is whether there is any specific knowldege of other cognitive tasks that are correlated, positively or negaively,to Chess playing ability.

The link between the facial recognition area of the brain and Chess experts is very interesting to me, and is getting a lot of press in the journals, but I haven't seen anything suggesting  an actual performance relationship between facial recognition and Chess ability. (or anything else and chess abilty)

• 2 years ago · #219

e4nf3

• 2 years ago · #220

AnthonyCG

Meadmaker wrote:
    motherinlaw wrote:

Why,thank you. I was hoping someone would find it amusing, or maybe someone from my alma mater would pick up on Little Kings Night.

But, more importantly, do you have any professional knowledge of the subject at hand? What interests me is whether there is any specific knowldege of other cognitive tasks that are correlated, positively or negaively,to Chess playing ability.

The link between the facial recognition area of the brain and Chess experts is very interesting to me, and is getting a lot of press in the journals, but I haven't seen anything suggesting  an actual performance relationship between facial recognition and Chess ability. (or anything else and chess abilty)

Why do you even care?

This forum topic has been locked.