Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Any tips for a 1607 chess player who is trying to improve?

• 18 months ago · Quote · #21

splitleaf

AndyClifton wrote:

The sad part is, we secretly replaced Patty's dolls with these:

Poor dear,  bet she never saw it coming...

• 18 months ago · Quote · #22

Chessdude007

bigyugi9 wrote:
    Chessdude007 wrote:

Also, bigyugi9, do you think 1. d4 d5 2. bf4 is a good alternative to playing 2. c4?  And, if white does play bf4 and black responds with c5, do you think trading the bishop for the knight is good for white?

2. bf4 is certainly better than 2. e3 since it gets your bishop out of the pawn chain of d4-e3.  However, the positions tend to be dry and black equalizes pretty easily.  Often black has easy play on the queenside in these london-like systems while white doesn't have much of a clear plan (maybe some kingside tries, but not really).  About trading a bishop for a knight...if the knight is better ( for example, controls more squares) than sure exchange your bishop for a knight.  But usually the positions that arise from london-like setups are open, so you want to preserve the bishop pair.  Honestly, though I don't see the problem with 2. c4 it's just more active and better in my opinion.  You've got to learn to play actively! it's good for your development as a chess player.

Hope that helps

It does! Thanks very much!  I might just stick with the KID though.  idk.  I'll figure out something.  With the amount of skill I have now, I should at least be able to make it to 1700, which would be a significant improvement.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #23

AndyClifton

The KID?  Huh?

• 18 months ago · Quote · #24

Alivallo

Chessdude007 wrote:

Any comments would be much appreciated!

1. CT-ART;  Peshka and chess tactics trainer  (all for tactics).  Yes chess is 99% tactics but winning chess is 99% tactical motifs which stem from tactics + strategy, and are helped with deep positional analysis.  and this is why 960 chess is so popular,  it removes the need for most opening preperation.  
    2. Chess Position Trainer;  (opening position patterns, motifs),   I recommend this as oppose to a Chess Encyclopedia of variations memorized. until you learn to pull wins based on Ideas, then begin building a repetior using a tool like encyc. of chess openings.  Also; much time is wasted on variations when the -2000 rarely makes the best move consecutively middle game or endgame.   And if this happens refer to step 1 above.  
    3. Chess mentor (nuff said on this elsewhere)
    4. Game analysis of your games; (rybka 2.2 + Arena) (Hodini free + Aquarium GUI), Fritz, (SCID + Stockfish)  for some free alturnatives (JUST AS GOOD for the non-grandmaster DO NOT get caught up in finding the best engines/programs,  any engine over 2400 is satisfactory until you are rated over 2000) most of these free engines such as Rybka are rated 2800, Magnus Carelsen level.   Also chess engine analysis will not give you a 'winning idea' and will give you chess engine answeres.    learn to properly analyze your games.  there is a WGM discussion posted on analysis (both CPU and Human) that is worth reading.--Game Analysis by WGM Natalia_Pogonina  http://www.chess.com/article/view/game-analysis

5. Tactical motif reaseach:  search 'Attacking fienchetto's' or 'winning the IQP' on chessgames.com or a similar database/books/chessbase videos, (the library provides these as well. such as the daniel king power play series, and kasparovs 5 volume series) 
    6. Setup typical positions of your games with fritz and and play rapid. then analyze.  then setup the same position and play the opposite color and analyze.  (Yes; many others have answered most of these questions/positions,  although you are not trying to beat kasparov. and many forget that winning chess includes pulling a win from lesser or lost positions.)  setting the CPU to play uber positionally or uber pawn pushing is insightfull as well.   
    7. Play opposite your chess personality.  play open games if closed are preferred, rooks vs bishops, opening that require a Sacrifice, etc.  
    8. Play the End Game First - Chess King software is great for this really check it out.  My rating went up like 150+ points just because of playing the endgame motifs in combination with some material on how to win these poistions (cabalanca book, nimzowitch book, 10 min chess videos online like a youtube search for bishop endings).  AND it taught me why these pawn structures are preferred from the opening for the personality of some players. 
    9. Play in person tournaments.  note your feeling/time/variations.  use chess as a fun community, reject others who approach chess otherwise.   

1. I am a blitz 15-1600 player on chess.com,   a 1700+ rated player OTB, over the board and been playing socially for 12 years.  
    2. The reason for this and not 2200 rated after 12 years of play and all the software available to improve?  Life is to short for chess and chess is older than me.   
    3. check out this link for information on what motivates us to do things even though we don't make money doing these things.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc
  • 18 months ago · Quote · #25

AndyClifton

"Tactical motif research"?  Wow.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #26

AnthonyCG

Don't play bullet. You'll lose all your mad skillz...

• 18 months ago · Quote · #27

splitleaf

Alivallo wrote:
    Also chess engine analysis will not give you a 'winning idea' and will give you chess engine answeres.    learn to properly analyze your games.  there is a WGM discussion posted on analysis 

Thought I'd have a look at this, checked on the front page and the first few pages of blog posts but didn't see it.  Could you point me in the right direction kind Sir?

• 18 months ago · Quote · #28

AndyClifton

Looks like you need to do a little Analytical Direction-Finding Research. Smile

• 18 months ago · Quote · #29

gambiteer12

splitleaf wrote:
    Alivallo wrote:
    Also chess engine analysis will not give you a 'winning idea' and will give you chess engine answeres.    learn to properly analyze your games.  there is a WGM discussion posted on analysis 

Thought I'd have a look at this, checked on the front page and the first few pages of blog posts but didn't see it.  Could you point me in the right direction kind Sir?

http://www.chess.com/article/view/game-analysis

• 18 months ago · Quote · #30

splitleaf

AndyClifton wrote:

Looks like you need to do a little Analytical Direction-Finding Research. 

Not having the WGM's name, I'll throw in the towel with clear conscience (besides, am always one of the first ones to ask for directions and last to finish at meals anyway).  

Ha! Was a click away from tossing in the above comment as is when I caught the hint and double meaning of "discussion posted on analysis."

[EDIT]  Thank you gambiteer.  Now the link is here for anyone who might lose their way in the years ahead (better learn to navigate my way around a bit or one of them might catch me, muttering to myself incoherently as I try to find the way out of some dead end corridor in the attic of chess.com).    

• 18 months ago · Quote · #31

Chessdude007

AndyClifton wrote:

The KID?  Huh?

Yes, I think I will try the King's Indian and Queen's indian a few times and see how those work for me.  I am younger than most players on this site who are my rating or better, and have plenty of time to invest in chess, which is cause for optimism

• 18 months ago · Quote · #32

Chessdude007

any thoughts on the KID or QID? Do you play them often?

• 18 months ago · Quote · #33

AndyClifton

Weren't we talking about what you would do with White?

• 18 months ago · Quote · #34

mottsauce

Yep. Since I was there last year: read a good chess book.  Silman's HTRYC helped me a ton.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #35

Chessdude007

It seems I've been all over the map today lol.  But yes I believe we were talking about alternatives to c4 for white.  

• 18 months ago · Quote · #36

Vivinski

e4 for white,

I play king's indian myself, but I find it a very hard opening to play, I probably misplay it more often than not, so many variations, it's ridiculous.

I wouldn't reccomend it, I juts stick with it because I have played it probably from the start and want to have at least one decent game with it :P. Queens gambit declined or slav defense are probably a lot easier to get a grasp of

• 18 months ago · Quote · #37

Alivallo

sorry about that edited my post to include the link.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #38

Alivallo

http://www.chess.com/article/view/study-plan-directory

Here is the chess.com method of study

• 18 months ago · Quote · #39

p-wnattack

bigyugi9 wrote:

I just looked at one of your recent game against random1st.  In the first 10moves you made a lot of inaccuracies...here we go: first playing ridiculously passives (d4 e3)..be a man and play qg or atleast a more active d4 sideline,  blocking your c pawn when it is needed as a pawn lever or structural reinforcement (nc3 without c4 isn't very good in d4 openings unless you are playing veresov), moving a piece twice( bishop) without being threatened to and then trading it off for blacks horrible light squared bishop (french pawn structure).

What I just commented on was about the opening, but I think a big part of improving is understanding different positional concepts which apply to not just openings but middle and endgame as well.  Now the real question is how to learn all of these positional nuances and apply them to your game.  I've learned of these inaccuracies that I mentioned above long ago and now they are virtually nonexistent in my games, but for lower rated players it is easy to identify these mistakes in their games.  But as you get stronger the mistakes will be less obvious and that is where people plateau, so it will be necessary to get help from stronger players to help identify your mistakes ( I hope someone can help me with that too!)

Anyways I hope this helped

2.e3 is the stonewall and a pretty solid opening for white though he didn't play it correctly it is not an inaccuracy and while it may look passive it has aggressive intentions with a kingside attack

• 18 months ago · Quote · #40

PortlandPatzer

KIA as White to play against Sicilian Defense systems is an interesting one that does not requre a lot of study though playing it against openings that hit back with an early d5 can be susceptible to it. If you like to play the Sicilian as White, the Smith-Morra is fun but has a lot of sidelines to work on as well.

Post your reply: