Forums

anyone can be a super GM

Sort:
TheGreatOogieBoogie

Theoretically, but most people don't have the time, resources, or drive to become that good.  

Conflagration_Planet

I can't believe how many of you dingbats don't believe that there are just some people more talented than others.

TheOldReb

some folks believe all sorts of nonsense ... 

Conflagration_Planet
nemanjadragicevic wrote:

I'll tell you this story about a man who was really bad at math he always had bad grades and he had 0 passion and 0 talent for it, and one day this happened. 

He got an F (lowest grade) in math and his professor was discusted by the lack of knowledge of this person. He told him "You'll always be bad at math and i can't wait till you finish this school so you can finally understand how important it will be in your engineering career"

The person i'm talking about took it very seriously so he started studying. He devoted his whole life to math , mathematical problems , and calculations with square roots and insanely small numbers. He tried so hard and today this man , who was once untalented and extremely bad at math became one of the worlds human calculators.

So if you are really desperate you might find yourself on the top of the chess world by just following your dream. 

I hope i motivated some people to push the bounds of their knowledge and interest for chess. 

Have a nice day , Cheers.

Of course, you fail to mention the thousands who bust their asses studying, and never get good. Besides, teachers can be wrong about stuff.

TheGreatOogieBoogie
nemanjadragicevic wrote:

I'll tell you this story about a man who was really bad at math he always had bad grades and he had 0 passion and 0 talent for it, and one day this happened. 

He got an F (lowest grade) in math and his professor was discusted by the lack of knowledge of this person. He told him "You'll always be bad at math and i can't wait till you finish this school so you can finally understand how important it will be in your engineering career"

The person i'm talking about took it very seriously so he started studying. He devoted his whole life to math , mathematical problems , and calculations with square roots and insanely small numbers. He tried so hard and today this man , who was once untalented and extremely bad at math became one of the worlds human calculators.

So if you are really desperate you might find yourself on the top of the chess world by just following your dream. 

I hope i motivated some people to push the bounds of their knowledge and interest for chess. 

The problem could also be the education system.  It's all about a one size fits all approach to teaching preparing for some stupid standardized tests.  Not everyone learns the same and school for the most part is boring.  You just sit there and there's not nearly enough hands on or experience learning.  Mistakes get punished instead of being viewed as a valid learning opportunity.  Many "disorders" such as ADHD and autism are thrown on people who can't sit there for long periods of time and many kids get drugged just so they cope better with the system.  Maybe the kids aren't the problem but the system itself?  

When outside of school perhaps that guy discovered an actual way of learning the material other than trite memorization?  

plutonia
nemanjadragicevic wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't believe that. If you had no talent right from the bat you can study hard and become somewhat decent, but you'll never be "good".

It's the old fairy tale that is told to underachieving kids to make them feel better about themselves. Like the myth that Einstein was bad at school, when in reality he could have run the class.

Queen_of_Knight
Conflagration_Planet wrote:

I can't believe how many of you dingbats don't believe that there are just some people more talented than others.

Misery...company...or something like that...

Aquarius550

I love this thread. 

Conflagration_Planet

Laughing

mcmodern
superking500 wrote:

chess study is dominated by the computer....

couldn't anyone be a super GM if they study there whole life, computers, books etc.

Umm no. There are plenty of physics, math engineering books out there, why is it so few people can be top scientists? Same logic here, not everyone can understand chess at the same level. How many people can be Lebron James? 

miw321

That's not possible because you earn the GM title not by your playing strength but tournament results. If everyone was playing at super-GM level then you can't earn the the GM norms.

JohnnyKGB

you can do it,  the power is in your mind .  The placebo saves the lives of thousands of people every year,   if you feel you can be a SuperGM for a long time, you become obssessed of chess , probably you will become in a super GM too.  Ok , then you can tell me, " but i have not talent f0r this hard task man "  but as i told you, probably right now  you have not the talent but that´s because your brain  believes you have not enough talent for chess, change your brain, change your subconscious beliefs and the talent will emerge on you  .

You can´t be a super GM just praying  if you don´t study chess ,  all elite players study chess so if you want to be a super GM it´s included in the occupation .   But what i mean, the key here is the talent ! , you need a big talent as Magnus Carlsen,  don´t lose your time committing suicide and reincarnated as a famous chess master,  you can do it for yourself in this life,  increases your talent naturally . 

I give you an example,  Judith Polgar,  ¿ how the hell did she obtains 2700 rating FIDE being Woman ?   She just was an object of his father's experiment , and Laszlo got his dream with one of their daughters and i don´t believe  Judith Polgar was so talent chess player (just a bit more than her sister)  ,  just a hard worker and a subconscious belief . 

Nowadays all the elite women in chess would not be top 50 in chess male , ask yourself how is this possible and how Polgar system got destroy the myth of weaker sex  .