Forums

Arena 3 and Houdini 1.5

Sort:
Bittrsweet

I downloaded these two softwares yesterday because i heard that houdini was a very strong chess engine (and free) and Arena 3 because i needed it to use Houdini. However, after dowloading, I realized that there were two Houdinis: Houdini_15a_x64 and Houdini_15a_w32. Which brings me to my first question:

Are they the same, different, or two parts of the same engine?

Currently I have 1 loaded as engine 1 and the other loaded as engine 2, and, while it works, I want to make sure I have the best possible set up.

Next up, it displays depth of the search as some type of fraction, '25/52' for example. As someone who is used to thinking of depth in moves or half-moves, what does this fraction mean?

Thanks for the time and help

atarw

I'm not sure about the second q, but the 1st q I know!

OK, it means the 32 one is for standard pcs, desktops/laptops

The 64 one is for multi-core processors, basically a computer with two seperate processors to do the tasks, making it  30% fastter then normal, at least according to the website.

I'm not sure what computer you have, but if you have a standard pc, i dont think it will let you load the 64 one, at least thats what happened to me.

Just so you know, I know Houdini is strong but I dont like its positional style, it plays moves that are safe, but Rybka is more "aggresive", it is best to use 2-3 engines for a more rounded view of analysis.

you already have houdini, so you can get rybka 2 for free, or buy version 4

The last one, maybe stockfish, although it isn't that strong. 

Maybe Fritz, Junior, HIARCS, etc. if you want to spend a little money.

Bittrsweet

Thanks for the help

If anyone can explain the search depth question that would be great :D

goatt23
Metaknight251 wrote:

I think the 25/52 means that it is on the 25th move out of 52 in the given position.  I'm not 100% sure on that though. 

I believe Metaknight is correct.  I have Fritz 13 and it shows that as 'depth'.

EscherehcsE

1st question - They are two different engines. The Houdini_15a_w32 engine is one compiled for 32-bit operating systems, while the Houdini_15a_x64 engine is compiled for 64-bit operating systems. Both will run on a 64-bit OS, but only the Houdini_15a_w32 engine will run on a 32-bit OS. On a 64-bit OS, you'll usually get a little better performance from the x64 engine.

2nd question - There are actually 2 windows with similar looking output. The window displaying something like "Depth 17/39" is telling you that the engine is searching to a depth of 17 plies (half-moves), with some search extensions reaching as far as 39 plies. There's a window just to the right that displays something like "c7-c5 (3/35)". This window is the one that tells you the engine is currently evaluating move c7-c5, which is the third move in a list of 35 legal moves.

Hope that helps!

Bittrsweet

Yes, that helps out alot!

Thank You

MarkChess2012

If I'm not mistaken, if your PC is running Windows 7, then your PC is a 64 bit machine.

EscherehcsE

Well, Microsoft does make 32-bit versions of Windows 7 for PCs that have 32-bit CPUs.