Forums

Armenia makes chess mandatory for school aged children

Sort:
ilikeflags

interesting stuff.  this article from theweek.com has several hyperlinks to other reports.  some pretty interesting stuff.  take a look.  comment if you see fit.

http://theweek.com/article/index/214617/should-all-kids-be-forced-to-play-chess

gbidari

"Should all kids be forced to play chess?" Is that the best headline they could come up with? Anyway, good for Armenia! Ben Franklin would agree with them. http://www.angelfire.com/games5/chessodyssey/benfranklin.htm

moemen13

This is not fair to the kids, in my opinion!

Just like drawing is mandatory in Egyptian schools, I had no problem with it; but many others do.... These are just hoppies, that every kid should have the right to pick up his favorite one from a various choices... at least this is what I think

ilikeflags
moemen13 wrote:

This is not fair to the kids, in my opinion!

Just like drawing is mandatory in Egyptian schools, I had no problem with it; but many others do.... These are just hoppies, that every kid should have the right to pick up his favorite one from a various choices... at least this is what I think

great point. 

GhostNight

They could just have a test to introductory chess, do not have to take the course but the country may be looking for some GM in the future I do not see any down sides to it, and who knows one of those kids may become a national hero!

Sci1977

I think they should be assessed, those willing and showing interest should be allowed to carry it forward. Those not should be allowed to do something else. It's not everyones cup of tea. But it's a novel idea, it does after all encourage logical thinking which can have positive benefits else where.

gbidari

You know how much crap our government forces kids to do already with little or no benefit to them? Now all of the sudden we're concerned about forcing chess on them. That's funny.

Sci1977

True, but our's would never get this concept off the drawing board.

moemen13
gbidari wrote:

You know how much crap our government forces kids to do already with little or no benefit to them? Now all of the sudden we're concerned about forcing chess on them. That's funny.

I totally agree, and this is the situation in many countries, clear....

I was just making a point about forcing kids into a certin track, because we think it is the most important. If there will be alternatives , it would be much better for all.

But generally, I would love, if I had to study chess in school lol

ilikeflags

yeah, in the states we've desinged an education system that teaches children very little about a whole lot--much of it trivial.  chess could work wonders.  just to give the community something enjoyable and challenging to focus on.  i am for it.  especially at 2 hours a week.  not much harm can come of 2 hours a week of anything.

bigpoison

All kids should learn how to swim, shoot, and run a shovel.

Roma60

i think the teachers in London have to much to do with learning the kids English that come to how little country.

ilikeflags
Roma60 wrote:

i think the teachers in London have to much to do with learning the kids English that come to how little country.

i've read this like 5 times and i'm still having trouble figuring out what you're on about.

Roma60

well i will tell you we have let to many people from over sea in our little island and we cannot house them have no jobs for them we who live hear see this all the time the thing the most is we havent got the room in our schools.

ilikeflags

this thread is about mandatory chess in armenia... if talking about immigration laws in england help you come to terms with this subject, then work away.

RPLVChess

School should be optional!  Free candy and soda for every student!  We should have video game class instead of study hall.  If you can't add or subtract, just use your smart phone.  How dare we tell the kids what's good for them! 

oinquarki
DamnCrooked wrote:

School should be optional!  Free candy and soda for every student!  We should have video game class instead of study hall.  If you can't add or subtract, just use your smart phone.  How dare we tell the kids what's good for them! 

This is how it would be if we had the money.

rooperi
Balachandar wrote:
uhohspaghettio wrote:

That is not for you to say. Imagine if it were your two hours being used up every week in a way you don't like. You just think so little of their time.

This is really stupid. It's just nonsense. 

I am against kids being forced to learn anything, except reading, writing and math.

I don't like math one bit. I don't see any use of Intergation and derivates in my life. Why am I forced to study math? 

If each one starts telling that they should not be forced to study anything which they don't like, there won't be any schools. 

oinquarki
tetraquarkarella2 wrote:

This thread is scientifically invalid.  You cannot force children to play chess as they may provide a stronger unbalanced force upon you (Laws of Motion) ; unless your force to take them to the chess board is thrust by a black hole (black holes have infinite energy), there is a possibility that they will have a stronger force. Though even if you had a black hole it would probably evaporate in around a billionth of a second; before you can convert it into energy.

So Armenia did not make chess mandatory for school aged children because the only mandatory things in this universe for humans are to bend spacetime and be compressed into one point if we pass the event horizon of a black hole.

oinquarki
ponnupazoozu wrote:

ouch! add singing to the list of mandatory subjects, PLEASE ...

What?; That rocked!