Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Asking people to resign


  • 2 years ago · Quote · #101

    NajdorfDefense

    It is bad etiquette to ask someone to resign, it is worse etiquette to play on in a dead-loss position. {similarly for a dead-drawn position when opponent offers a draw}

    I was involved in a dead-drawn endgame, my opponent refused to agree to a draw because he thought he could queen his extra rook pawn, which was impossible as he couldn't get my king out of the corner.

    Given the time constraints of needing to eat dinner between games at large tournaments, it was classless for my opponent to sit there and keep the game going for another hour when he had no moves.

    IM Saidy even came over and patiently explained to White that black's King could move H8-G7-H8 and White could never advance. White still took another 57 mins before agreeing -- just to spite me for correctly proclaiming the position a dead-draw, never attempting any moves the whole hour.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #102

    Pranjal588

    winning a completely won position isnt fun...     because the massa didn't resign

    drawing a completely won position is terrible...  because the massa didn't resign

    losing a completely won position horrifying.....   block the massa !!!


  • 2 years ago · Quote · #103

    winerkleiner

    chrisr2212 wrote:
    winerkleiner wrote:

    chrisr2212 it that someone who messed up?

    that's Filipe Massa just after his F1 shunt

    Totally over my head, sorry!

    Your username suggests you're 200 years ahead of us!  Who won the 2013 superbowl?

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #104

    ash369

    The best way to learn chess is to play the game as much as poss, which means newcomers have to accept they will be beaten a lot while learning.  So hinting that losing players should resign denies them of benefitting from your experience and play.  Such hints or requests are extremely unsportsmanship- like.  By the way if your opponent is so easy to beat and wants to play the game to the bitter end, doesn't if give you an opportunity to focus on the most economical way to checkmate??  So enjoy the opportunity it provides.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #105

    ChazR

    Perhaps the best way to learn chess is not to play, just study.  Honestly, playing can create bad habits unless you have a method of self improvement.  What was Silman's excellent book?  "How to Reassess Your Chess?" or something like that.  In other words, you could be beating your head against a wall if you do not discover how to think like a master.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #106

    ChazR

    Here is how I get people to resign, (like in my last blitz game with Galileo14):  When the mating net is closing in, I chat, "Thank you for the game."   Works every time,  the loser disconnects, I have a few minutes to get another drink, and Chess.com proclaims, "The player may have violated our fair play policy," and I win.  I was never so mean to abuse an opponent, but Bobby always had to "crush" his opponents.  I don't want to bruise anybody's ego, but when they disconnect, I OWN them.  

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #107

    benonidoni

    Is hermitboy still waiting for a reply after 4 years?Foot in mouth

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #108

    PatriotScout

    Etiquette is difficult to enforce online. It is best to understand that you have no control over your opponent's attitude and what he says as a result. You are going to encoutner rude and often malicious players on this site, what you do in spite of them is entirely up to you. 

    Personally, if someone asks me to resign online I just keep playing. I don't respond since that would validate their statement. I don't let it get to me and neither should you.

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #109

    winerkleiner

    PatriotScout wrote:

    Etiquette is difficult to enforce online. It is best to understand that you have no control over your opponent's attitude and what he says as a result. You are going to encoutner rude and often malicious players on this site, what you do in spite of them is entirely up to you. 

    Personally, if someone asks me to resign online I just keep playing. I don't respond since that would validate their statement. I don't let it get to me and neither should you.

    Well spoken advise!

  • 2 years ago · Quote · #110

    cferrel

    FYI I just got done in a major open and one of my games I had to fight a hard end game and the opponent had the win due to material but He had a extremely hard time getting the win with the end game play. However, I actually pulled off a stalemate when he tried to queen via a rook trade but all his pawns i was fighting were all around my king and near his king. I squeezed out the draw. I say play on and shoot for the draw if you are losing. Unless mate is totally obvous and forced but who cares if they dont resign just mate them.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #111

    RooklessRookie

    I disagree, to refuse to resign an obviously lost position is indicating either the premise that the opponent does not have sufficiant skills to continue winning in an obviously lost position or that you wish to purposefully waste time for both you and your opponent.

  • 21 months ago · Quote · #112

    Conquistador

    RooklessRookie wrote:

    I disagree, to refuse to resign an obviously lost position is indicating either the premise that the opponent does not have sufficiant skills to continue winning in an obviously lost position or that you wish to purposefully waste time for both you and your opponent.

    You are obviously demonstrating arrogance.

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #113

    RooklessRookie

    Conquistador wrote:
    RooklessRookie wrote:

    I disagree, to refuse to resign an obviously lost position is indicating either the premise that the opponent does not have sufficiant skills to continue winning in an obviously lost position or that you wish to purposefully waste time for both you and your opponent.

    You are obviously demonstrating arrogance.

    I just don't think purposefully wasteing the time of both parties is a good idea. 

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #114

    chessman1504

    Teehee, the last time someone asked me to resign, I pulled out a win :P

  • 20 months ago · Quote · #115

    ash369

    chessman1504 wrote:

    Teehee, the last time someone asked me to resign, I pulled out a win :P

    Yep.  An obviously lost position  to one player is simply a challenge to another.  Who can judge?  Only the players concerned.


Back to Top

Post your reply: