9185 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
I haven't played chess in 15 months (last time I logged onto chess.com before today) What do you guys/gals think I should do to get back into the game?
1. Start with your basic endgame positions and figure out the fastest way to get mate using minimal forces.
2. Play what I call "seek and destroy" where you set up 5-8 pawns in a particular sequence and the piece you are using is the only piece to move, capturing a pawn every move until all pawns are gone.
3. Play against as many different outlets as you can for chess (online, OTB, coffeehouse etc. and play timed games under 10 minutes. You will make mistakes and lose games at first but will find that tactics you used to know will come back to you.
4. Determine what type of player you are and find openings that fit that style.
5. Find books to help you get back into form. One author I hear little about but is very good at explaining concepts is Yassir Seirawain. His book series from Microsoft Press is very good.
6. Play better players consistantly and have them analyze your games, especially losses. they may see things you overlooked.
I hope all this helps and welcome back.
i have come to realize that i am a marginal player. with that said: protect your king and focus your forces on the enemy king thats the best i can do
Thanks vengence, good advice.
Just start playing again. After a few weeks, it should become apparent which areas you need most work on.
Pffffttt, I don't know how you could have possibly got any worse than you were 15 months ago hahaha!!!
5/25/2013 - Pieces Out of Play
by mohandisusa 3 minutes ago
Does chess drive people mad?
by reflectivist 7 minutes ago
new official FIDE WCC chess set
by MojoJedi 7 minutes ago
by MojoJedi 9 minutes ago
Amazing Lightning - help at analysis?
by Schiffrin 10 minutes ago
Without The Chequer Pattern ?
by Sharrocks 12 minutes ago
Spring Meeting for Dutch Chess.com players (Utrecht)
by ElKitch 17 minutes ago
One of the worst played sequences ever seen in a Super GM tournament!
by asmund_hammerstad 18 minutes ago
Is it possible that there are psychic chess masters?
by reflectivist 27 minutes ago
Computer Analysis says 1...c5 is an Inaccuracy ???
by Kikyo_Sushi 27 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2013 Chess.com