14631 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
I haven't played chess in 15 months (last time I logged onto chess.com before today) What do you guys/gals think I should do to get back into the game?
1. Start with your basic endgame positions and figure out the fastest way to get mate using minimal forces.
2. Play what I call "seek and destroy" where you set up 5-8 pawns in a particular sequence and the piece you are using is the only piece to move, capturing a pawn every move until all pawns are gone.
3. Play against as many different outlets as you can for chess (online, OTB, coffeehouse etc. and play timed games under 10 minutes. You will make mistakes and lose games at first but will find that tactics you used to know will come back to you.
4. Determine what type of player you are and find openings that fit that style.
5. Find books to help you get back into form. One author I hear little about but is very good at explaining concepts is Yassir Seirawain. His book series from Microsoft Press is very good.
6. Play better players consistantly and have them analyze your games, especially losses. they may see things you overlooked.
I hope all this helps and welcome back.
i have come to realize that i am a marginal player. with that said: protect your king and focus your forces on the enemy king thats the best i can do
Thanks vengence, good advice.
Just start playing again. After a few weeks, it should become apparent which areas you need most work on.
"2nd Gashimov Memorial, Round 8 | Host: Evgeny Miroshnichenko"
Moving a Pawn Twice in the Opening
by SmyslovFan a few minutes ago
1000 best things to do while waiting for people to move
by rise_of_war a few minutes ago
4/25/2015 - A. K. - Christian Stevens, 2007
by whirlwind2011 a few minutes ago
SCID for MAC
by EscherehcsE 2 minutes ago
Post your best miniatures here
by Oran_perrett 10 minutes ago
что привлекает игроков в турниры?
by MuhammadAreez10 14 minutes ago
create your own chess puzzle. easy or hard whatever you like.
by tigerprowl9 17 minutes ago
Nigel Short: Women's brains not chess brains
by power_2_the_people 19 minutes ago
Its easier to play ON the board than off....
by MuhammadAreez10 22 minutes ago
Can't change email adress
by ChessKingT 23 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2015 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!