Forums

best e4 open to start with

Sort:
Seraphimity

In all my years of chess I have never developed an e4 open.  My online rating was 1550 and my live is in the 1300 so I guess that makes me a scratch above ametuer and know a little about chess.  I have always played a pet d4 open and need to develop my repetoire.  What is a good e4 to start with.  I prefer open sharp tactical games as opposed to cramped closed positional ones.  thx!

corum

I like

1. e4 e5

2. Nf3 Nc6

3. c3 Nf6

4. e4

It can lead to quite an open game.

Sadler

1.e4 opens a complex as Firebrand indicates
(generally more open sharp tactical positions than after 1.d4 though!), 
but IF it is answered with e5 try 2. f4 (Kings gambit). That should fit the bill.
Preparation recommended! Good luck.

Seraphimity
Sadler wrote:

1.e4 opens a complex as Firebrand indicates
(generally more open sharp tactical positions than after 1.d4 though!), 
but IF it is answered with e5 try 2. f4 (Kings gambit). That should fit the bill.
Preparation recommended! Good luck.

Ok Im getting the idea of just what it is I asked.  As for the f4 I am quite adept at attacking this position.  I honestly win a good 80% of games when this is played early in the game.  I suppose that gives me the preperatioin required to play it myself.  Im going to look for a position e4 is played with a Queen side castle intention.  That should give me the quirk I am looking for.  

GlaiveDigger

The Halloween Gambit is a fun opening. It goes like this:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Nxe5!?

The Lolli/Fried Liver Attack is also fun to do. This starts out with:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. Ng5 d5 5. exd5 Nxd5 6. Nxf7!?

I hope this helps you a little.

Greetings from Player8-CHAMPION.

Seraphimity

Player8-CHAMPION thanks and I've seen alot off those.  They do lead to some off beat play.  Im not looking for tricks or traps just a solid fundamental open that is less often played.  I find playing less studied opens helps me out as a weaker player in general, i set my seeks for -35 to +200 live +400 online.  I think the best thing for me to do is enter a few themed online tournaments.  

Spielkalb
Seraphimity wrote:

Ok Im getting the idea of just what it is I asked.  As for the f4 I am quite adept at attacking this position.  I honestly win a good 80% of games when this is played early in the game.  I suppose that gives me the preperatioin required to play it myself.  Im going to look for a position e4 is played with a Queen side castle intention.  That should give me the quirk I am looking for.  

As far as I know there is not such an 1.e4 opening forcing the idea of a queen side castling. It simply depends how your oponent responses and figuring out your own development taylored to that response.  

In most cases king side castling is prefarable anyway for some reasons:

• It's quicker because you only have to get two pieces out of the way instead of three.
  • Your king imediatedly protects the rook pawn h2 while on the queen side he has to move to protect a2. 

It doesn't make much sense to artifiacially look for queen side casteling for those reasons because it might delay your development. 

Seraphimity

the Scotch looks fun, depending on the play I see alot of potential..

GlaiveDigger

If you are looking for solid play, then you can always try things like Giuoco Piano, Four Knights Defense, Silician Defense, Scottish Game, King´s Gambit, even Blackmar-Diemer Gambit if black is looking for the Scandinavian Defense. I personally like the last one better, but you're much more likely to play the Blackmar-Diemer when you play 1. d4, which is of course what you're NOT looking for here :p

I hope this helps =)

Greetings from Player8-CHAMPION.

Praxis_Streams

I enjoy and play the scotch opening. In fact, I've recently added 1.e4 to my repertoire, and was a devoted Queen's Gambit player for a long time. I wanted to understand open positions better, and work on my tactics, and have had good results with the Scotch. 

A word of warning though: if you pick up e4, but sure to have a basic understanding of the sicilian, or learn some type of closed sicilian. I've seen 1...c5 a LOT. I played the smith-morra for a while, and was thinking about playing the grand prix, but it's the holiday season and I have some extra time on my hands, so I may learn and start playing the open sicilians *gulp*.

Seraphimity

ok Player8-CHAMPION you got me.  The blackmar-diemer has just taken up about an hour of my time in goings over.  Interesting... Im gonna go look it up on the net i'd like to read what the theory on this is, what GM's have used it etc.c..c.c..  Instinctively I don't like the immediate sacrifice of the f pawn without having more going on on the board.  The stats look favorable.  In any case you get the cookie!  Thanks Tongue out for taking the time..

Seraphimity

xAsnl so sick of hearing about the great sicilian.  Im sure its a all that and then some.  Kinda why I've always avoided e4 simply to avoid the main lines.  however, alas my game is improving I can beat some pretty strong players on occasion and so logically in this wonderfull game of chess I must learn more classic center dominance play.  If I am to improve i have to play what is 'correct' not simply what I like.  thanks to you and all for the help.  Luckily I too have an abundance of time on my hands so I will be digging deep.  OT, just got back from the shooting range, felt good to let go of a few hundred rounds off the AK.  Now my shoulder hurts and my mouse hand is cramping..  no blitz chess for me lol

GlaiveDigger

No problem, I like helping out =)