Forums

blitz/bullet rating is the only thing that matters in internet chess

Sort:
Optimissed
xFallesafe wrote:
Of course the thing you’re bad at doesn’t really matter, and the things you’re good at do. Funny how it always works that way…😏

Which is exactly why people bad at chess often like bullet better.
Well done.

sekisekisekisekisekiseki

you should play blitz 5 if you're really busy. if you are super busy playing bullet it takes less time to complete a game

Optimissed 

Ziryab wrote:blueemu wrote:Nemo96 wrote:I've seen a 2100 correspondence and 1200 bullet. And the low bullet rating came from 800 games.
Some of us are past 65 years of age, low on energy and with failing eyesight. Blitz and Bullet become nearly impossible at that age, while Correspondence is only slightly handicapped.
Speed extends your youth.
the only reason I'm not playing blitz atm is that I'm really busy.

you should play blitz 5 if you're really busy. if you are super busy playing bullet it takes less time to complete a game

zakarylittle
lisa_zhang_tok wrote:
bb_gum234 wrote:
yureesystem wrote:

It is impossible to cheat in one minute (bullet game),

Nope.

You can have a program move for you. You can have it play fast enough to make 100 moves in just 1 or 2 seconds off the clock.

We used a D wave Quantum computer at my university to play bullet chess against.

This is a pretty common experiment at many good universities across the world.

It can move more than 100 billion positions in a second, but anyone with about a 2000+ Elo in bullet can beat it 9 out of 10 times.

you can not really cheat at bullet, its like trying to number every atom in the universe and articulating position.

of course its likely not impossible, any more than light speed travel. but its so far beyond our reach in 2015 that it can't even be imagined by an educated theorist of mathematics and computer engineering

and even if you could, it would be so painfully obvious that it is a cheat, ..making the point moot

Computer scientist here. Can confirm 8 years later this person was just making bs up. Nothing they said makes sense or could have even been achieved at the time of their writing that. That not how quantum computers work. That's not how chess works. Gosh I hope you don't go around lying like this on the reg.

HenryTheLittleElephant

The only thing that matters is your FIDE/national rating! Blitz is fun for trolling (and here are a lot of 2400/2500 blitz trolls who not even reach 1700 OTB) but nothing more!

Regalbeginning

That's fake news. There's no way a 2500 blitz doesn't reach atleast 2000 FIDE.

HenryTheLittleElephant
rupam44 schreef:

That's fake news. There's no way a 2500 blitz doesn't reach atleast 2000 FIDE.

Enough players who will never reach that! Online blitz ratings are really unreliable for FIDE standard! In my last OTB tournament i played somebody who has 2400 blitz here but the same OTB rating as me and i have beat him easily OTB! 
The opposite is for me i improve quicky OTB but i am weak in online blitz because im bad in terms like swindling!

Optimissed
Kasporov_Jr wrote:

I'm tired of people bragging about having '' high '' correspondence chess ratings, yet see thier blitz rating be a measily 1200. Having a 1800+ bullet/blitz rating is more respectable than being a 2000 in Correspondence chess

I'm rating 1850 uscf rating in chess, and my bullet/blitz rating accurately describes it. Correspondence chess is extremely unrealistically long, what tournament in the world will you have more than 2 weeks for a game? If your good at chess, the moves will come to you quick, you dont need 24 hours to analyze.

and it's so easy to cheat in correspodence chess every once in a while, you can look at a chess engince for a couple of moves & it will go unnoticed. But you dont have time to fool around with blitz/bullet.

Daily obviously isn't normal chess but you're wrong about blitz and bullet. Arguably, bullet isn't chess at all but just about how fast you move. You don't have to be a good player to have a 2300 bullet rating and many with that bullet rating would be beaten by a 1700 at otb classical controls. Blitz isn't much better. It isn't a measure of how good you really are. The closest is obviously rapidplay but there's a problem with that. 10 mins no increment is now considered rapidplay here, whereas in reality it's the slowest blitz speed. Really rapidplay is in the range from 15 mins to 30 mins for the whole game. Some would include anything up to an hour each. Daily reflects real chess strength much better than bullet or blitz but probably not as well as slow rapidplay. But seeing as how rapidplay isn't broken up into "slow" and "fast", and seeing as how only slow rapidplay really counts, you have to go by Daily as the best assessment of chess strength.

So of course, the bullet players here probably would want to be thought good players and get respect but chess is actually about how good you are at classical controls. If not, why is the World Championship played at very slow controls?

DiogenesDue
Optimissed wrote:
Kasporov_Jr wrote:

I'm tired of people bragging about having '' high '' correspondence chess ratings, yet see thier blitz rating be a measily 1200. Having a 1800+ bullet/blitz rating is more respectable than being a 2000 in Correspondence chess

I'm rating 1850 uscf rating in chess, and my bullet/blitz rating accurately describes it. Correspondence chess is extremely unrealistically long, what tournament in the world will you have more than 2 weeks for a game? If your good at chess, the moves will come to you quick, you dont need 24 hours to analyze.

and it's so easy to cheat in correspodence chess every once in a while, you can look at a chess engince for a couple of moves & it will go unnoticed. But you dont have time to fool around with blitz/bullet.

Daily obviously isn't normal chess but you're wrong about blitz and bullet. Arguably, bullet isn't chess at all but just about how fast you move. You don't have to be a good player to have a 2300 bullet rating and many with that bullet rating would be beaten by a 1700 at otb classical controls. Blitz isn't much better. It isn't a measure of how good you really are. The closest is obviously rapidplay but there's a problem with that. 10 mins no increment is now considered rapidplay here, whereas in reality it's the slowest blitz speed. Really rapidplay is in the range from 15 mins to 30 mins for the whole game. Some would include anything up to an hour each. Daily reflects real chess strength much better than bullet or blitz but probably not as well as slow rapidplay. But seeing as how rapidplay isn't broken up into "slow" and "fast", and seeing as how only slow rapidplay really counts, you have to go by Daily as the best assessment of chess strength.

So of course, the bullet players here probably would want to be thought good players and get respect but chess is actually about how good you are at classical controls. If not, why is the World Championship played at very slow controls?

Merry Xmas 2014!

Optimissed

Merry Christmas to you too. Hope you have a good one.

davidkay2

I disagree. Having hours to play is how world champion is mostly chosen. Rapid can fast enough to play a "quicker" game for fun yet still have lots of time to think. Every type of game has its place and its flaws.

Bullet can be part athletics, how fast you can move your mouse without having a mouse slip, the quality of your internet connection and computer equipment.

davidkay2

"Blitz isn't much better. It isn't a measure of how good you really are" I disagree, it is how good you are at a form of chess.

Even rapid doesn't allow you to fully think things out, which is why world champion is usually chosen by yet slower games.

I think rathar than perfection, having fun is the ideal.

davidkay2

(Blitz in its own way can make you better chess player. You make more mistakes but you can brainstorm/experiment with bigger range of ideas, broad strategy concepts, like various gambits to know advantages and disadvantages of them)

RopemakerStreet

Every time control is a measure of your chess ability coupled with your ability to think fast and move quick when necessary, there's a reason why some people are 1000 bullet and some people are 2000 bullet, same for blitz, same for rapid, don't make excuses, most people who slate a time control is usually because they are not good in that time control. I'm 1600 blitz, there's a reason why I'm, not 600 blitz and reason why I'm not 2600 blitz. I'm not 600 because I've looked at enough of my lost games to improve way beyond that, I'm not 2600 , because I haven't put in the time/work to be so and also haven 't been playing chess long enough to be so let alone comprehend the difficulty in playing at that rating range.

The only thing I say about Rapid is that most banned users are Rapid players, so it puts me off.

What I do agree with is that the truest form of chess ability is over the board, where you have time to make higher quality moves and where losses, generally are because of strategy or tactical errors rather than major blunders, at least the higher up you go in the ratings.

Optimissed

Quite right, I just play blitz for a bit of fun these days. Sometimes I play it well and sometimes not at all well and it in no way reflects my strength at real chess, which is classical time controls over the board.

medelpad
Actually true
Optimissed
Woahprettyricky wrote:

I would argue the only thing that matters in online chess is having fun. My blitz and bullet ratings are terrible and accurately reflect my instinctive ability to play the game, which is why I play standard and correspondence chess. Not to take two weeks to play the game, but to have a few minutes to breathe and think on the correct moves. Most correspondence games, i'd bet, don't involve more than a few hours of actual playtime spent studying the board. I know mine rarely do.

Do you mean they don't take more than a few hours per move?