Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Bobby Fischer Greatest Champion


  • 22 months ago · Quote · #21

    bigpoison

    DaBigOne wrote:

    well... most ppl dont blindly follow someone cause they are of the same race. (i say most ppl for a reason)

    Ummm...yeah, naive, that's polite.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #22

    DaBigOne

    why do you say that?

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #23

    DaBigOne

    (i mean to post 20)

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #24

    fissionfowl

    DaBigOne wrote:

    why do you say that?

    Just meet any follower of a sport that has people from their country competing.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #25

    Scottrf

    kavanam wrote:

    The Americans like kingpatzer are a weird lot! They dont know how to respect their own country men!

    Objectivity.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #26

    AndyClifton

    DaBigOne wrote:

    why do you say that?

    Because fissionfowl isnt weird, he is just saying the truth. Wink

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #27

    fissionfowl

    AndyClifton wrote:
    DaBigOne wrote:

    why do you say that?

    Because fissionfowl isnt weird, he is just saying the truth. 

    Bit of both.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #28

    Moyuba

    DaBigOne wrote:

    well... most ppl dont blindly follow someone cause they are of the same race. (i say most ppl for a reason)


    i think you're getting nationality and race confused.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #29

    AndyClifton

    I always get nationality and rationality confused.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #30

    jesterville

    I agree that Fischer could not be considered great as a champion, because he never defended the Title. I also think that he was lucky to win the WCC in the first place. Not luck as in his chess play, but rather lucky to have played someone as amiable and accomodating as Boris...who by the way, had many an opportunity to walk away from the challenger, and retain his crown. The opinon that Fischer was the greatest challenger to the WCC has much merit.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #31

    Inconnux

    Anyone too scared to defend their title should be considered the WORST not the best WC.  As far as I know, Fischer was the only WC who wouldn't defend his Title and ran away.  At least those who lost their title in their title defense had the gonads to actually play the match.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #32

    serjio1972

    kavanan, Fischer is obviously the best ever, but you are just a histrion.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #33

    Kingpatzer

    How many tournaments do they win as Champion?
    How many matches do they win as Champion?
    How much do the contribute to theory in their games as Champion?
    How do they function with the body politic of Chess to improve the sport for others?
    How do they function as ambassadors of the sport?

    Character doesn't matter per se, but it is reflected in the last three considerations. 

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #34

    konhidras

    One of the greats in the history of chess.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #35

    Kingpatzer

    konhidras wrote:

    One of the greats in the history of chess.

    As a player? Yes. As a champion he was a complete no-show. 

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #36

    NimzoRoy

    silver_light wrote:

    How many games has Fisher played after became a World Champion? - 0.

    Was Fisher true World Champion? - No.

    Only America fans and anti-Soviets like him. Let them...

    It must be  nice living in "silver-light world" where all the "facts" you make up are for real. Well, it is true he played 0 games after winning the title. BUT, according to everyone else in "reality-world" he was the "true WCH" from 1972-1975 and as for your absurd assertion only "America fans and anti-Soviets like him " how would you know?

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #37

    kavanam

    I would like to mention something in favour of Bobby!

     

    Nowadays chess coaches including Igor Smirnov tell  us that finding perfect moves can be self-defeating in OTB games, instead they advise us to find practical moves so that we may not lose on time.

     

    But, Bobby did exactly the opposite! He always found the best and perfect move in 99 percent of his games under OTB time control!

     

    Perhaps there  is his genius!

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #38

    Ziryab

    Bobby Fischer is to the World Championship as Michael de la Maza is to improvement for the adult player. Both have many fans, but they both quit chess instead of continuing to contribute after attaining their goal. Their fans are stuck defending a phantom.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #39

    AndyClifton

    kavanam wrote:

     

    But, Bobby did exactly the opposite! He always found the best and perfect move in 99 percent of his games under OTB time control!

     

    Perhaps there  is his genius!

    lol...well, I think all of the greats could lay claim to having found a large percentage of excellent moves.

  • 22 months ago · Quote · #40

    Estragon

    How could one be a "great champion" if he refuses to play as champion?

    Forget FIDE and title match disputes!  What about tournaments?  There wasn't an organizer in the world who wouldn't have met Fischer's demands for conditions and fees, just to get him there.  And he could have faced Karpov, and Korchnoi, and Hort and Gligoric and Tal, and proved himself dominant in the way Karpov and Kasparov did.

    If you want the "Employee of the Year" award, you might at least show up for work occasionally.


Back to Top

Post your reply: