Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Boring World Championship


  • 5 months ago · Quote · #241

    Adilbala

    Not boring at all...the fourth game was excellent ....I am an Anand fan but I have also become a Carlsen fan now due to the way he plays and conducts himself...very enjoyable stuff for me...I also love the way the two treat each other...

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #242

    SmyslovFan

    10...Be7 was slightly unusual. It had previously been played by Jon Ludwig Hammer, who is one of Carlsen's seconds. Anand did not seem fully prepared for it. 16.Ne1 was probably a mistake, and the reason that Anand himself said later that he didn't play the opening well.

    Game four was an opening victory for Carlsen.

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #243

    Ziryab

    SmyslovFan wrote:

    10...Be7 was slightly unusual. It had previously been played by Jon Ludwig Hammer, who is one of Carlsen's seconds. Anand did not seem fully prepared for it. 16.Ne1 was probably a mistake, and the reason that Anand himself said later that he didn't play the opening well.

    Game four was an opening victory for Carlsen.

    Thanks. I missed that Carlsen announced his seconds. Or is Hammer a suspected or presumed second?

    Did the commentators discuss Hammer's game. Did Anand spend a lot of time thinking after 10...Be7?

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #244

    sapientdust

    If Anand really had prepared the pawn sac for the initiative (as suggested perhaps by Kasparov's comments), and Carlsen fought his way through that OTB and ended up with winning chances, that would have to be severely demoralizing for Anand.

    I wonder whether after the match is over we'll ever learn the real truths, like whether Anand was fibbing when he implied that he was already drifting by the time they got to the pawn sac position (although note that he carefully did not say that it was unintentional or not planned to arrive at that exact position).

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #245

    ConnorMacleod_151

    Its not boring Smile

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #246

    TheGreatOogieBoogie

    dashkee94 wrote:

    All these comments about the match being boring reminds me of the reply by Adolf Anderssen when he was asked why he wasn't doing as well against Morphy as he did against Dufrense--"Morphy won't let me!"  There's very little "swash-buckling" chess at this level because you can't "swash" if the other guy doesn't "buckle."  Neither player has been known to buckle too often, so don't come here expecting what they will not give you.  Appreciate the fact that Carlsen was in trouble in the first game and bailed out, while Anand did the same in game two.  Games 3 and 4 were close to decisive--so where's the boring part?  That you don't understand Super GM chess?  That's not their problem.  They are there to win the match, not to live up to your hype.  They will play the best chess they are capable of, and if you don't like that the games don't look like Anderssen-Dufrense, I'm sure they will not lose any sleep over it.  I think this has been an excellant match so far, and I look forward to the remaining games being of the same high quality--the only thing I don't like about this match is that one of these great players will lose.  I think they are both excellant players and excellant representatives of chess.

    Yep, they don't owe spectators anything and are just there to win.  Top level chess is typically boring anyway in the 21st century.  May as well watch Houdini play against itself.

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #247

    chesswolf2000

    I hope Anand wins but I think Carlsen will. :1

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #248

    Robkin


    Yep, they don't owe spectators anything and are just there to win.  Top level chess is typically boring anyway in the 21st century.  May as well watch Houdini play against itself.

    Exactly my point of view!

    Romantic chess 100 years ago with sacrifices and full of small mistakes were for sure by far more interesting to watch then todays war of nerves between 2 perfect prepared players who need a team of computer specialists to find the smallest hole in the opening repertoire of the opponent..

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #249

    xbigboy

    So, any opening guesses for game 5?

    I would really like to see a King's Gambit played at the grandmaster level these days.

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #250

    Ziryab

    xbigboy wrote:

    So, any opening guesses for game 5?

    I would really like to see a King's Gambit played at the grandmaster level these days.

    Reti! Carlsen will find a way to get equality with this stratgically complex opening, and he will win a game with it before Thanksgiving.

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #251

    Timothy_P

    Ziryab wrote:

    Reti! Carlsen will find a way to get equality with this stratgically complex opening, and he will win a game with it before Thanksgiving.

    Shhh! Don't tell Anand!

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #252

    nameno1had

    SmyslovFan wrote:
    nameno1had wrote:
    ...

    Anand knows if every game is drawn after the classical time controlled games, he gets a larger share of the money, than he would had he lost prior to that. I think that is as much to blame as anything. However, I don't think forcing the reigning champ to play to win, in order to be champ again, would sit well with most, but it would certainly change the way the games were played some what.

    ...

    Chess will never be a spectator sport because it is just too complex. Even the drama of an armaggedon game won't be enough to TV draw crowds to watch the game live. Those games go too fast for intelligent commentary. Chess isn't camera friendly. 

    Yeah, certainly a lot of truth in that idea...except for true chess lovers...Wink

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #253

    shooblie

    KOLRAMI: Bah! (throws off the controls) 

    DATA: Why have you suspended the game? 

    KOLRAMI: Because this is not a rematch. You have made a mockery of me. 

    (Kolrami exits in high dudgeon) 

    RIKER: Data, you beat him! 

    DATA: No, sir. It is a stalemate. 

    WORF: No game of Strategema has ever gone this high. 

    LAFORGE: What did you do? 

    DATA: I simply altered my premise for playing the game. 

    RIKER: Explain. 

    DATA: Working under the assumption that Kolrami was attempting to win, it is reasonable to assume that he expected me to play for the same goal. 

    WESLEY: You didn't. 

    DATA: No. I was playing only for a standoff, a draw. While Kolrami was dedicated to winning, I was able to pass up obvious avenues of advancement and settle for a balance. Theoretically, I should be able to challenge him indefinitely. 

    PULASKI: Then you have beaten him. 

    DATA: It is a matter of perspective, Doctor. In the strictest sense, I did not win. 

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #254

    cimatar

    If your chess level of understanding is LOW then this championship is boring to you, but if you know or at least UNDERSTAND the subtle manuevers these GM's has to make in these games then definitly it is NOT BORING not by a long shot!

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #255

    kco

    Not so boring now huh guys, seeing that Carlsen has won a game.

  • 5 months ago · Quote · #256

    Shivsky

    shooblie wrote:

    KOLRAMI: Bah! (throws off the controls) 

    DATA: Why have you suspended the game? 

    KOLRAMI: Because this is not a rematch. You have made a mockery of me. 

    (Kolrami exits in high dudgeon) 

    RIKER: Data, you beat him! 

    DATA: No, sir. It is a stalemate. 

    WORF: No game of Strategema has ever gone this high. 

    LAFORGE: What did you do? 

    DATA: I simply altered my premise for playing the game. 

    RIKER: Explain. 

    DATA: Working under the assumption that Kolrami was attempting to win, it is reasonable to assume that he expected me to play for the same goal. 

    WESLEY: You didn't. 

    DATA: No. I was playing only for a standoff, a draw. While Kolrami was dedicated to winning, I was able to pass up obvious avenues of advancement and settle for a balance. Theoretically, I should be able to challenge him indefinitely. 

    PULASKI: Then you have beaten him. 

    DATA: It is a matter of perspective, Doctor. In the strictest sense, I did not win. 

    Loved that episode .. though this is flawed as Data is proven to not be able to "solve" the game (he loses .. which is proof enough!) but can somehow accurately "guarantee" 100% drawing play.

    If Strategema is a turn based game like chess that has yet to be solved, then just like a GM cannot "100%" force a draw against a skilled opponent if he wants it, neither could Data. Maybe make it likely, but not be guaranteed one!


Back to Top

Post your reply: