Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Calling check


  • 4 years ago · Quote · #1

    Dakongman

     I was playing a game with my dad today, i called check when it turned out to be a checkmate. he claims it was a draw because i did not say checkmate but check instead. can someone clarify for me?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #2

    ivandh

    Your dad is a cheater

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #3

    goldendog

    Don't tell mom.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #4

    Ry888

    haha, at a tounament it would be checkmate still. but tell ur dad good try :)

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #5

    ivandh

    LOL

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #6

    arumugam7

    send your dad to a chess coach before you joinSmile

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #7

    DonnieDarko1980

    You don't have to call anything - in tournament chess it can even be viewed as illegally disturbing your opponent if you call check very often, and when it's mate - it's mate :)

    There's even a saying "give every check, it could be mate" - of course this is wrong in the sense of playing the best move, but correct in the sense that a mate is still a mate even if the winner has not seen it himself.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #8

    orangehonda

    Club players and tournament players don't call check or checkmate (unless they're being cocky).

    Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #9

    Dakongman

    lol, thanks all, ill tell my dad hes a lousy cheater =P

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #10

    cberman

    I love when people get all Uno about chess.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #11

    II-Oliveira

    Sometimes when the opponent makes an ilegal move and I say "you can't do this, you are in check!" some say "so, why didn't you say check before?"

    WTF, I am not your king's baby sitter!

    to say (or to hear) check every time is unnecessary, by the rules, and also can be very annoying in some situations.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #12

    II-Oliveira

    orangehonda wrote:Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.


     What about if you say "I resign" after checkmate or at least "let's draw"???

    I know this is nonsense, but if this happens (let's say in an very low rating OTB tournament), will the arbiter interfere?

    Because, after all, the checkmate come first, so what ever the players agree after that should not count, right?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #13

    ivandh

    II-Oliveira wrote:

    orangehonda wrote:Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.


    What about if you say "I resign" after checkmate or at least "let's draw"???

    I know this is nonsense, but if this happens (let's say in an very low rating OTB tournament), will the arbiter interfere?

    Because, after all, the checkmate come first, so what ever the players agree after that should not count, right?


    If some guy asked for a draw after I checkmated him, my fist would interfere with his face. But I suppose if both players were unaware that the game was checkmate, then unless the arbiter caught the error, whatever they agreed to would be recorded as the official result.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #14

    orangehonda

    ivandh wrote:
    II-Oliveira wrote:

    orangehonda wrote:Checkmate is checkmate regardless of what you say or don't say.


    What about if you say "I resign" after checkmate or at least "let's draw"???

    I know this is nonsense, but if this happens (let's say in an very low rating OTB tournament), will the arbiter interfere?

    Because, after all, the checkmate come first, so what ever the players agree after that should not count, right?


    If some guy asked for a draw after I checkmated him, my fist would interfere with his face. But I suppose if both players were unaware that the game was checkmate, then unless the arbiter caught the error, whatever they agreed to would be recorded as the official result.


    Well, that's true.  It's possible we've all heard the stories about scholastic chess and their sometimes wacky endings.  Like agreeing they lost in a stalemate, or agreeing it's a draw when it's checkmate.  But if both players agree and turn in the sheets... kind of like when they make illegal moves and unless their opponent objects you can't mention anything.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #15

    JG27Pyth

    Dakongman wrote:

     I was playing a game with my dad today, i called check when it turned out to be a checkmate. he claims it was a draw because i did not say checkmate but check instead. can someone clarify for me?


    Tell your Dad, that after he dies, this is the story you're going to tell the grandkids about him.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #16

    Estragon

    JG27Pyth wrote:
    Dakongman wrote:

     I was playing a game with my dad today, i called check when it turned out to be a checkmate. he claims it was a draw because i did not say checkmate but check instead. can someone clarify for me?


    Tell your Dad, that after he dies, this is the story you're going to tell the grandkids about him.


     

    Sure, it will be a good laugh for them as they spend the inheritance he leaves directly to them instead of his ungrateful son.

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #18

    meanpc

    Didn't everybody else's dad try and win games on cheap technicalities?

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #19

    theoreticalboy

    tonydal wrote:
    Dakongman wrote:

    lol, thanks all, ill tell my dad hes a lousy cheater =P


    Actually, I thought he was pretty good at it (very creative).


    Nah, when I was in my single-digits and 10s, I thought that was the rule...

  • 4 years ago · Quote · #20

    MyCowsCanFly

    "My house...my rules...go stand in the corner."


Back to Top

Post your reply: