Forums

Can anyone give me any information on what it takes to beat Chess Titans?

Sort:
chesswiz625
thecheesykid wrote:
chesswiz625 wrote:

Believe it or not, Chess Titans isn't that hard to beat. The real secret is the "undo move" option. If I play with no errors, I can usually win, but sometimes I make a mistake which can only be seen 3-4 moves later. Analyzing this, I can go back and see what I should have done instead. This can improve your analysis skills while playing, as you must reanalyze your position after you have determined the faulty move. A few times with that undo option, and you should start to realize you don't need it as much as you used to (hopefully!). Thank Zeus for Ctrl + Z !

That isn't a chess game, that's trial and error, you could eventually beat Houdini using that technique, if you're taking back moves left, right and center, it shouldn't count as a real game.

Yes, this is a trial and error technique. However, you must agree that humans learn through trial and error. What I suggested was a method of learning how to win. It would be hilarious if when grand masters played, the other player shouted "MULLIGAN!" whenever they realized they made an error. But that is not what I was trying to get across...If by learning through trial and error, you can eventually win WITHOUT the undo option, then that would be a viable means of winning against Chess Titans. Merely a studying technique. When I do play a "real game" with chess titans, I refrain from using the undo option.

chessmaster102
thecheesykid wrote:

Chess Titans is an awful program, make sure you try to pawnstorm it, I've found that castling opposite it and then throwing pawns at it is a good way of defeating it (even if it wouldn't be the best plan in a normal game, it works more frequently against Titans)

Also it doesn't really understand positional sacrifices at all and so doesn't prepare itself against them, it will generally play moves like h6, g6 or g5 without any real worry for its own king safety, just try and weaken some of the squares around its king and tempt its own pawns forward, it'll probably oblige.

It also seems to go apeshit when it realizes it's losing and just plays WEIRD moves, such as giving up entire rooks sometimes on a whim... idk who programmed this lol. It's always good fun beating an engine though, I rarely have trouble with it any more (no-one past 1500 really does I don't think), just keep playing it, you'll find out its weakspots for yourself. GL.

lol you explained it in nutshell all true +1

fischerSONJR

COMPUTER IS PROGRAM TO REAPEAT THE MOVE SO KEEP PLAYING IT AND UNDERSTAND THE MOVES AND GO FOR UNORTHODOX OR VARIATIONS NOT FAMILIAR, THE COMPUTER WILL GET CONFUSE THOUGH HE IS PLAYING TACTICALLY........THER IS NO SUCH THING AS PURE HUMAN LIKE CPU ARTIFICAL INTELLIGENCE...MAN MAKE COMPUTERS! 

azziralc

Computer is dumb, it has no intuition; it is pure calculation. 

FTLulz
chessmaster102 wrote:
thecheesykid wrote:

Chess Titans is an awful program, make sure you try to pawnstorm it, I've found that castling opposite it and then throwing pawns at it is a good way of defeating it (even if it wouldn't be the best plan in a normal game, it works more frequently against Titans)

Also it doesn't really understand positional sacrifices at all and so doesn't prepare itself against them, it will generally play moves like h6, g6 or g5 without any real worry for its own king safety, just try and weaken some of the squares around its king and tempt its own pawns forward, it'll probably oblige.

It also seems to go apeshit when it realizes it's losing and just plays WEIRD moves, such as giving up entire rooks sometimes on a whim... idk who programmed this lol. It's always good fun beating an engine though, I rarely have trouble with it any more (no-one past 1500 really does I don't think), just keep playing it, you'll find out its weakspots for yourself. GL.

lol you explained it in nutshell all true +1

+1 Yes, these guys have nailed it.  It does not see positional dangers developing. The program does have a number of idiosyncrasies.  Pawnstorm against the castled position plus weird endgame behavior gave this position http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/probing-the-ai on level 10.  Notice, game is "even" at two pawns apiece, lol. I try to keep my knights/bishops parked and out of the way of my pawns when playing Titans.

Ben_Dubuque

I develop and play normaly

here is a position that occured out of dragon Levenfish where I pawnstormed the Kingside and then it castled there. I had 4 pawns on the e-hfiles on the fourth rank at one point. then it commited a major blunder

chesswiz625
Ben_Dubuque

should have seen that. knew I had mate

GhostNight

I have windows 7 version of chess titan, and here is a game I am playing against the Titan, I am black and playing the stone wall, Not sure if there is a way to re

trieve the moves that led to this early game position. But Titan has hung on in my opinion quite well! Its my move black. Now it has made me think how I want to proceed? Its a fun freebe any one that is having a hard time beating the Titan there is nothing to be embarrassed about, its a good freebe program, and once you start beating it easily, your are moving up!

chesswiz625

Meh, white's positional standpoint is cramped. You have a slight spacial advantage. A strong attack on the center, such as a d5 push should be sufficient to gain an advantage.

losingmove

Chess Titans is a beast

Sierra4

somes the fork works

arunkumar_005

i usually play chess titans.. at level 7 out of 10 fair games i beat it 6 times my online rating is between 1150 to 1250. well it is a very nice platform.. but if you need do develop  yourself play online or play against a human.. after a thousand games online try playing chess titans with a level higher that previously used

Sqod

I estimate I beat Chess Titans 85% of the time on level 10 *if*: (1) I'm concentrating fully on it (I often have it running only in the background while working on other things); (2) I'm sufficiently familiar with the variation. People on this site often scorn the learning of openings, but I've found that to be critical to my success when playing against computer programs.

After many months of playing against Chess Titans I've learned that it makes certain characteristic mistakes, some of which are: (1) Inability to see tactical lines beyond 3 moves; (2) Useless king moves, often to KR1, when it doesn't know what else to do, which loses a tempo, especially in the early endgame; (3) Occasionally blunders in the endgame just so it doesn't have to draw, the cause of which is the programmer setting the contempt factor too high; (4) Wrong rook moved, which often leaves one rook hemmed it with no mobility whatsoever, which can often be exploited by attacking it with a bishop; (5) Bad endgame play, especially in king-pawn endings; (6) Recapturing with a pawn that becomes isolated and is within reach of my attacking king but not in reach of the defending king; (7) Extreme materialism (typical of all programs) even when its king is being surrounded; (8) Placing a bishop in front of its center pawns in the opening; (9) Insistence upon castling even when castling is not necessary and which moves its king farther from the center as the endgame begins; (10) Lost tempi with useless pawn advances, especially ...b6 in the French Defense; (11) Futile attacks with rook pawns as default activity, which loses several tempi; (12) The common amateurish BxRP mistake, which gets that bishop trapped and lost after P-N3; (13) Overlooking an obvious pawn fork at d5 if there exist intervening checks that limit its lookahead; (14) Allowing a rook to get diverted to a poor location upon recapture, such as ...Bh6 Bxh6 ...Rxh6; (15) Allowing itself to get "queen slapped" that loses castling priviledges with QxQ+ ...KxQ.

(I tried to post an example game here but I had written too many moves down wrong, so it would take time to fix.)