Forums

Can intelligent person suck at chess, forever?

Sort:
QueenCon

intelligence is of no use, until it is being used

-balashukla0761

itscrazychess
I hope thats true. I’d like to believe I’m an intelligent person but I definitely suck! Just ask the other players at my chess club lol.
Chse0c

Intelligence and chess rating?

How about a graph, IQ on one axis, chess rating on another. Something to do for fun?

itscrazychess
Chse0c wrote:

Intelligence and chess rating?

How about a graph, IQ on one axis, chess rating on another. Something to do for fun?

Have a lot of top chess players taken IQ tests and have them on record?  I doubt it.

Optimissed
darkunorthodox88 wrote:

My problem is that when I analyze the games after, rarely I find any tactics and very rarely tactics missed.  How being good at tactics will help me to rise hundreds of points above my rank and become a better player? The analysis only reveals that I might have won 1 out of 10 of the games I lost, by being better at tactics>>>

There's a logical flaw there. You probably see the relatively clear tactics that your opponent used and you missed. You probably missed the deeper tactics but most significantly, if you consistently miss tactical blows that YOU can use, your analysis may not show them up and nor will you prepare for them. If you don't really like tactical play you won't head towards them almost instinctively. Instead, you'll play moves that tend to eliminate them.

CelticG

Hi ozziec, which books did you use? 

50kg

Can intelligent person suck at chess, forever?

No!

Aloha_LK

Yes

50kg
Aloha_LK wrote:

Yes

No. But, there can be something wrong in this equation.

Optimissed

After all, they might not want to get good at it.

RubenHogenhout
BrightHour schreef:             

I just started chess 5 mos ago at 39 yrs old. Outside of chess, supposedly i am "above average Intelligence", but no wizard. I am, however, a monomaniac who latches on to something new and spends every moment (even in dreams) of ...most common criticism of those closest to me is that I Think Too Much. Left and Right Brain both work.

I thought these seemed like good indicators that chess might be good fit.

.... In five months ive played or studied 50+ hours a week: neither me nor my rating suggest I'm not mentally slow and/or simply Can't Get Chess! Is this possible? Common? Surmountable...or my cue to quit the fun fascination enjoyment in chess? I know it's not all about ratings, etc., and I am recogizing some mild improvement/familiarity w fundamental tactics and some openings and some endgames....but....

I OFTEN FEEL THAT I JUST DON'T (maybe never can)

"GET IT!?!"

Opponent Rook moves two squares on back rank for reasons I CANNOT IMAGINE?!?

Have others experienced anything like this? Did they quit? Any responses, honest, discouraging, sticking w it, "history shows" I'm not locked in to 800 range????

Side: majority of live games are bullet and blitz of which I've read mixed opinions on value for game improvement.

I Really appreciate ANY responses to this topic

Thank you.

Of course this is possible. grin.png 

kindaspongey

Has BrightHour been here since 2012?

Sartradjm

Yes