Forums

Can intelligent person suck at chess, forever?

Sort:
kco
Yereslov wrote:

Chess is more about visual perception than thinking alone.

disagree with that statement.

chesspooljuly13

I really admire how you lure them in, Yereslov. You've got trolling down to a science, and that, my friend, is a sure sign of intelligence. Some people troll by name calling and insults, but you cloak your trolling with the appearance of being sincere in your misguided thinking, which is much more apt to provoke a response.

And when the fish stop biting, you up the ante by throwing a ridiculously outlandish comment into the mix, like suggesting Morphy would be a patzer today, knowing it's like throwing chum into the ocean.

You've truly raised trolling to an art form, and for that, I salute you, sir!

Troll away!

Yereslov
kco wrote:
Yereslov wrote:

You can disagree all you want. In the end thinking alone is not going to win you a game. 

Chess is a visual game. 

Yereslov
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

I really admire how you lure them in, Yereslov. You've got trolling down to a science, and that, my friend, is a sure sign of intelligence. Some people troll by name calling and insults, but you cloak your trolling with the appearance of being sincere in your misguided thinking, which is much more apt to provoke a response.

And when the fish stop biting, you up the ante by throwing a ridiculously outlandish comment into the mix, like suggesting Morphy would be a patzer today, knowing it's like throwing chum into the ocean.

You've truly raised trolling to an art form, and for that, I salute you, sir!

Troll away!

I'm not trolling.

chesspooljuly13

Ooops - looks like alexlaw stopped biting. What to do now? I can't wait to see the master at work! Hurry! He's getting away!

kco
Yereslov wrote:
kco wrote:
Yereslov wrote:

You can disagree all you want. In the end thinking alone is not going to win you a game. 

Chess is a visual game. 

argue with that to dan heisman 

chesspooljuly13

Well played, Yereslov; you can chase after alexlaw another day. Best to concentrate on the fish still swimming around the boat.

kco
chesspooljuly13 wrote:

Well played, Yereslov; you can chase after alexlaw another day. Best to concentrate on the fish still swimming around the boat.

not me, I am done with feeding the troll too. 

chesspooljuly13

Uh-oh. A referral to another poster? Is that like telling you to fish in another pond?!

chesspooljuly13

They're all swimming away! What are you going to do? I hate to presume to know how the master thinks, but I'm guessing you're going to pull in your lines, start the engines and head for another forum. Surely there will be hungry fish there and you've got plenty of chum left and those shiny new lures.

Bon voyage!

e4nf3

Can intelligent person suck at chess, forever?

What a silly question. No. Of course not. Eventually their streak of "bad luck" must, of necessity, end. It's called death.

TheGrobe

I'm pretty sure dead people suck at chess.

e4nf3

Prove it.

Being an achess player is not at all the same as being a bad chess player.

Note: I just invented that achess word, it isn't a typo.

Scottrf

http://www.chess.com/members/view/death

e4nf3

Upon reflection, I don't think that "achess player" would be correct. I'll go for "chess aplayer", instead.

TheGrobe
Yereslov wrote:
kco wrote:
Yereslov wrote:

Chess is a visual game. 

Really boggles the mind how people can play blindfold chess then.

chesspooljuly13

Geez, TheGrobe really hit the nail on the head with that one. Can't refute that

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Take 100 people of IQ 130, 100 people of IQ 100, of comparable work ethic. Teach them chess. After some time, play a tournament. What will the final cross table look like?

TheGrobe

Probably a mixed bag with a bit of a skew in favour of the 130ers.  IQ's such a course measure of "Intelligence" -- many of the 100's could in fact be very strong in areas that help them with chess but don't help you on an IQ test.

Here_Is_Plenty
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Take 100 people of IQ 130, 100 people of IQ 100, of comparable work ethic. Teach them chess. After some time, play a tournament. What will the final cross table look like?

With respect to your (2406-1000 then /10) 141 IQTongue Out, I suspect that this would demonstrate their capacity to learn basic patterns quickly, which is a good part of intelligence.  Actual ongoing chess play needs some more hard work and experience and maybe a little natural gift to get great.  Of course, I am guessing only as I claim to be neither master nor mentat.