Forums

can magnus carlson cross the 3000 elo barrier

Sort:
pyuu88
[COMMENT DELETED]
damsehgal2

I don't think carlsen would be able to do it.But I hope wei yi would be able to do it.

DjonniDerevnja
Levon31 wrote:
fabelhaft wrote:

"Their is a good chance that Anand wins the candidate, and he has better chances than ever against Magnus now"

Anand has been playing really well lately, but will after all be 47 next year. It would be very impressive if he could win the Candidates again, but my bet is Caruana.

I would like to see Aronian win the candidates. Not because he is Armenian, but because I think he is most likely to put pressure on Carlsen in multiple games. Carlsen wasn't really under much threat of losing either of his last two matches

I think Anand was nervous in Chennai, still nervous, but more relaxed in Sochi, and even more relaxed in the game where he met Carlsen in Stavanger. Therefore I guess that next time the gap will be closer than ever. If Anand is fantastic and lucky in game one, then Carlsen will feel pressure and headache, and the match will be very different.

Both players are extremely good chessplayers, and I guess its the phsycic things that will make a difference. Carlsen is younger, and will have a small advantage.

SmyslovFan

Caruana, Topalov, and Nakamura all have better chances of winning the Candidates' tournament than Anand. Anand's great, but I think the other three will do better in the next Candidates. Of course, I have been wrong before. 

mcmodern

Yes, he can do that when the top 50 are all over 2800.

Elroch

I'm going to go for no, for either of them. It's too big a step for a generation.

davestinks

NOT IN A BILLION YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

QuantumChessLord

If not, so how is it possible that engines like Houdini or Stockfish got over 3100???

Pulpofeira

They never get tired.

17rileyc

I think if Carlsen passed 3000 elo he would be deemed a nickname similarly to Johnny Manziel: Magnus Chess.

SilentKnighte5

Dwight Gooden was amazing.

ghotrix
QuantumChessLord написав:

If not, so how is it possible that engines like Houdini or Stockfish got over 3100???

Human and computer chess ratings aren't comparable. Period.

DjonniDerevnja
waffllemaster wrote:

Hmm, he'll be playing a while, but I don't know if rating inflation will take it that high that soon. 

Today's 2800 was the 2600 of years past.  3000 isn't a barrier like a 5 minute mile.  It's a statistic distribution.  A better question, if you're asking about chess strength, is if Carlsen will be able to create as wide a gap between himself and the 2nd highest rated player comparable to the greats of the past like Fischer and Kasparov.

It looks like its necessary to create a 120 point gap to reach 3000. I can imagine Fabiano , Wesley and Hikaru climbing to 2880, but achieve that 120 gap is very difficult and time-consuming, because Wesley and them super players always will chicane him, and there are the prodigies too, like Richard Rapport .  Magnus will win more than he loses, but it is close to impossible to win enough to open that gap. He will also play some of draws against GMs 100-400 points below, and that does cost som points. Maybe he even will end up drawing the new drawingprodigy- Elias Hulleberg Sidali.

Pashak1989

Why even talk about 3000? No one has ever achieved 2900. 

RetiFan
Pashak1989 wrote:

Why even talk about 3000? No one has ever achieved 2900. 

I think everyone believes that Magnus is certainly going to cross 2900.

Slow_pawn

I hope not, but I feel like Magnus has peaked already. I'd love to see him get to 2900 though. 

Elroch

Simple answer to the forum title is no. I am available for bets.

MickinMD

No one knows.  We must base our judgements on how rating numbers move, not by how skilled Carlsen is vs other GMs because we do not have the ability to do so,

It's like people who play the stock market by technical analysis, basing their predictions of a stock's future price based on how it's price is trending vs 60 and 200 day moving averages, Bollinger Bands, shapes of the price vs time on a graph like "head and shoulders" etc.  They tend to do much poorer than those who (like me) invest through fundamental analysis, basing their predictions on the strengths and weaknesses of the company the stock represents: it's earning growth rate, its durable competitive advantages, it's debt or lack of it, it's management's reputation, etc.

Were guessing by the numbers, so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in what we think.

SmyslovFan

Carlsen's best FIDE live blitz rating was 2948. 

If we stick to classical chess, I don't see anyone breaking 2900 any time soon, but at faster time controls, it's more possible to utterly dominate the opposition and play enough games in a relatively short period to get incredible ratings. 

http://www.2700chess.com

DiogenesDue

Breaking 3000 was always impossible (for Carlsen).  Breaking 2900 seems rough at this point...the bigger question is, will Carlsen even have the top classical rating by the end of 2017?