Forums

can magnus carlson cross the 3000 elo barrier

Sort:
abdulmajidsayem1

p.s. its carlsen sorry

Scottrf

No, he only just crossed it in a single performance rating at the London Chess Classic, which was an excellent tournament even by his standards. To get his rating there isn't realistic.

abdulmajidsayem1
Scottrf wrote:

No, he only just crossed it in a single performance rating at the London Chess Classic, which was an excellent tournament even by his standards. To get his rating there isn't realistic.

hmmmm so u mean its not possible..?Surprised

Scottrf

No, it's possible, I just don't think it has any realistic chance of happening in the near future.

abdulmajidsayem1
Scottrf wrote:

No, it's possible, I just don't think it has any realistic chance of happening in the near future.

hmmm okay....:)...seing form of magnus i think that hez gonna set new records...hez just in his early 20's n he has already beaten kasparows record which shows about his mettle....wat say?

anupralhad

nothing

cyberdynsystemsmodel

well yes impossible says i am possible.....:)

Nickalispicalis71

The way he is being coddled and micro-managed, anything is possible.  He will slaughter the opposition in his next tournament.  Another invitational with "selected" opponents.

abdulmajidsayem1
Nickalispicalis71 wrote:

The way he is being coddled and micro-managed, anything is possible.  He will slaughter the opposition in his next tournament.  Another invitational with "selected" opponents.

hmmm buddy....if he does that it will b a great feat....

Scottrf

He gets criticised for only playing strong fields, but then almost always takes the full point against the weaker players in the field.

Choosing his opponents carefully isn't the reason for his ranking.

konhidras

Can magnus reach the 3000 ELo? No doubt he can do it

abdulmajidsayem1
Scottrf wrote:

He gets criticised for only playing strong fields, but then almost always takes the full point against the weaker players in the field.

Choosing his opponents carefully isn't the reason for his ranking.

buddy he has got talent as a kid he had drawn against garry kasparow....if u see that video magnus was not at aalll nervous infact he was watching other games while kasparow was thinking fr  d move moreover i think that he is still improving and he hasnt reached his peak yet...

abdulmajidsayem1
konhidras wrote:

Can magnus reach the 3000 ELo? No doubt he can do it

hmm lets hope so

waffllemaster

Hmm, he'll be playing a while, but I don't know if rating inflation will take it that high that soon.

Today's 2800 was the 2600 of years past.  3000 isn't a barrier like a 5 minute mile.  It's a statistic distribution.  A better question, if you're asking about chess strength, is if Carlsen will be able to create as wide a gap between himself and the 2nd highest rated player comparable to the greats of the past like Fischer and Kasparov.

steve_bute

It doesn't matter. 3000 isn't special. It's merely an artifact of (1) how the rating system was started and (2) various imbalances since then.

If chess.com used 4000 rather than 1200 as its starting point for Glicko, we'd all have higher ratings than Carlsen.

abdulmajidsayem1
waffllemaster wrote:

Hmm, he'll be playing a while, but I don't know if rating inflation will take it that high that soon.

Today's 2800 was the 2600 of years past.  3000 isn't a barrier like a 5 minute mile.  It's a statistic distribution.  A better question, if you're asking about chess strength, is if Carlsen will be able to create as wide a gap between himself and the 2nd highest rated player comparable to the greats of the past like Fischer and Kasparov.

true but this is how the elo system works......worlds number 1 is alloted on d basis of that....so v cant say that it isnt the measure of chess strength.....n i meant by my question seing his current form can he b able to surpass 3000 elo rating

abdulmajidsayem1
steve_bute wrote:

It doesn't matter. 3000 isn't special. It's merely an artifact of (1) how the rating system was started and (2) various imbalances since then.

If chess.com used 4000 rather than 1200 as its starting point for Glicko, we'd all have higher ratings than Carlsen.

"so u dont think that elo is measure of chess strenght?????"

steve_bute

@abdulmajidsayem1 ... You are correct -- by itself, an ELO rating is not a measure of chess strength. ELO ratings, by definition, are relative measures and have no meaning in isolation. "3000" only means something when compared to something else.

abdulmajidsayem1
steve_bute wrote:

@abdulmajidsayem1 ... You are correct -- by itself, an ELO rating is not a measure of chess strength. ELO ratings, by definition, are relative measures and have no meaning in isolation. "3000" only means something when compared to something else.

okay buddy...........:)

varelse1

i don't think so.

As flawless as Carlsen is, he draws way too much to cross 3000. IMO

When you're 2950, a draw against a "mere" 2820 will cost you major rating points.

That is not to say we've seen the last of broken records from Magnus. He has topped Kasparovs highest rating, at the tender age of 22. He is going to be on top for a long time.