Forums

Carlson - Anand

Sort:
ericmittens

Is anybody watching this game right now? Carlson played the Shabalov/Shirov attack vs. the Slav and now (as of move 21) has a very nice position. At Corus Magnus said he was tired of playing so many Slavs, I'm surprised and happy to see him playing such an aggressive and underused variation.

dupe

Yep I'm watching it. Anands position is a horrible mess but I wouldn't be suprised if he manages to draw the game. I think Anand felt he could draw when he offered the Q exchange.

gabrielconroy

Yes looks interesting. After 19...Kxe6, GM Dimitrov said "The game was unpredictably boring but finally there is a chance to see some action." Let's hope he's right, and that Carlsen can avoid getting yet another draw.

MapleDanish

Somebody link me up!

ericmittens

http://linares09.soloajedrez.com/

gabrielconroy

You can also see it at http://games.chessdom.com/linares/carlsen-anand, with commentary from GM Dimitrov.

gabrielconroy

For some reason the applet at the soloajedrez.com link won't load for me, any ideas?

ericmittens

Try reloading it from the page. It never loads for me when I first enter the page either.

ericmittens

25...h6 was rather clever, keeping the white rook out of g5. Black's position seems surprisingly solid, I think Carlsen will have his work cut out for him making anything out of this.

gabrielconroy

No, reloading doesn't work. It must be to do with some Java conflict on my computer. After 25...h6, Dimitrov described Anand's position as "fortress-like". 26. h5 was nice, taking away the g6 square Anand's knight. If Carlsen can blunt Anand's activity, his bishop might be telling.

ericmittens

Oh I dunno, I'd be surprised if Carlsen can make any headway. The bishop has no targets, and the rook has no squares to get into Anand's position. Very nice defence by Anand.

ericmittens

On move 63 Carlsen has won an exchange, but can he now convert the technical endgame?

edit: A very impressive game by Magnus either way, it seems he is tired of drawing all his games and really made an effort to convert his promising position.

aadaam

Is the game adjourned?

ericmittens

Nope, Carlsen won Laughing

davej123

Great tenacity by Carlsen. What a good result.

Smartattack

Game lasted longer than what i could have expected.I would like to know Anand s thoughts and assessment about the position after move 16th,even trading that bishop favours white has it will benefit from a more centralised king for the endgame.

Simendo

This is absolutely fantastic. Who would think that Carlsen`s endless line of draws would end with a victory over Anand. This kid is amazing.