Forums

Casual Capablanca

Sort:
Maradonna

Hello,

It was my anniversary on chess.com a few days ago. So far our relationship has been me take, take, taking like a greedy swine and offering little back in return. So, I thought I'd address this today and post a wee forum with a couple of Capablanca games.

Normally, the games of famous players that I see posted are two greats battling it out. I thought I do something a little different. The two Capablanca games that I'm going to show you were casual games. I know that they were both played in New York, but unsure where.It could have been the Marshall Chess club

or the the older Manhattan Chess club.

The beauty of casual games is that there is more opportunity for flare play. Rather than a tense 60 move battle trying to convert a slight imbalance against an equally gifted opponent, it is an opportunity to see a great talent express their creativity against mugs like us ;)

So, here we go:

The next game that I'm going to show you is against an unknown (NN). I like to think that this player was aware of Capablanca going around the New York chess scene. He'd probably seen him around and thought that maybe one day he'd actually get to play him. Already, during the day, flights of fantasy would strike him. If I did get a game, how would I play? What he decided to do in the game was to play the same moves as Capablanca. Genius! If Capa's move are good, copying them must, therefore mean, his moves are good :) Of course, this is all fiction, however, I could not help but think this when seeing the following game, enjoy.

Scarblac

I've replayed than Fonaroff game a few times. I like 11.Qc3! Not many people would get their pieces in just the right position (Nf5, Qg3) so quickly from the position after the 10th move.

I don't know about the end combination. Are there really no alternatives to 18...Rd1 for Black?

Ripper89

Absolutely brilliant games,Capablanca was a genius...thx for posting them.

Irish_Chess86

Hehe NN thought he could just copy Capa and get a draw. Silly person!

Maradonna

Thanks everyone that posted and got involved.

Scarblac

Yes, you're right. Fonaroff's Rd1 is not a good move. Even though this is a casual game, and he is not a chess professional, you'd expect a bit more from him. I'm not sure if these games were timed, perhaps this added to the pressure. Maybe, he just went all wibbily wobbily because he was actually sat across from Capablanca.

a geldiyev,

Mr Fritz agrees with you sir!

nuclearturkey
Scarblac wrote:

I've replayed than Fonaroff game a few times. I like 11.Qc3! Not many people would get their pieces in just the right position (Nf5, Qg3) so quickly from the position after the 10th move.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed those maneuvers more than the end combination... (which was a chess.com daily puzzle once btw!)