Forums

Chess and IQ Relationship

Sort:
kleelof
[COMMENT DELETED]
Thomas2792796

People use the term intelligence to refer to different things.  IQ is raw intelligence or potential - it doesn't mean you will be an educated or thoughtful person but it reflects (not very precisely but with enough accuracy to be useful) your capacity to excel in any particular intellectual activity.  Having a high IQ won't make you a good chess player but your IQ will approximately determine the maximum level you could achieve as a chess player assuming that you have the right training and experience.  It seems people of average intelligence are generally capable of reaching somewhere in the 2000-2200 range, however I doubt you would see anyone with an IQ below 120 above the 2700 mark.

kleelof

IQ doesn't exist. It's just another tool to allow one group of people to feel superior over another group of people.

batgirl

...g,h,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,r,s...  ?

kleelof
hayabusahayate16 wrote:

Chess is almost like a new language so it too is beneficial.

c2 b4?

Thomas2792796
kleelof wrote:

IQ doesn't exist. It's just another tool to allow one group of people to feel superior over another group of people.

If by doesn't exist you mean "doesn't correlate precisely to intelligence" you'd be right.  It is an approximate measurement but generally speaking it is accurate enough to be useful for a number of applications - one of those applications being posting your IQ on forums to prove your superiority over other members.  My IQ is 239 btw.

OldChessDog

Chess has definitely increased my IQ--it has increased my irritation quotient that I suck so bad at it even after all these years...

Somebodyunknow
Dodger111 wrote:

Peeple that play chess are smrater than peeple that don't.

Is this a joke or your actually serious