Forums

Chess and substance, hand in hand.

Sort:
AlCzervik

While the chess board is finite, you never know what hazards you may run into out there.

George1st
nameno1had wrote:

WinerKleiner has a 2 for 1 deal on anti troll spray...I can give you a demonstration if you feel up to it...it works for me so far

Thanx mate, also appreciated u getting back to me, I was half way through replying when had to go. Lost ur message but know exactly what u said. I reply soon. Have to go.

Thanx again : )))

nameno1had

AlCzervik wrote:

linuxblue1 wrote:

Chess is the most complex mind game that I have come across.

Try golf.

While I agree golf is a difficult game, it's difficulties are perhaps as much physical as they are metal. I can crush a golf ball, I can hit 300 yards. If every hole was a dogleg right, I could probably be a pro. I understand why I slice so badly, but my natural physical tendencies are extremely difficult to compensate for when I try using all of my speed and power.

Sunofthemorninglight
nameno1had wrote:

[AlCzervik wrote:

{linuxblue1 wrote:

Chess is the most complex mind game that I have come across.}

Try golf.]

While I agree golf is a difficult game, it's difficulties are perhaps as much physical as they are metal. I can crush a golf ball, I can hit 300 yards. If every hole was a dogleg right, I could probably be a pro. I understand why I slice so badly, but my natural physical tendencies are extremely difficult to compensate for when I try using all of my speed and power.

mhmm, oh yah, yah.

nameno1had

What was "your " point.... ?

Iknownotwhy

Are you the same George1st that wrote the thread "why isn't chess more popular"

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/why-isnt-chess-more-popular

George1st

Apparently, other board games like Monopoly, Chequers, Scrabble, Poker etc are far more popular. 

I am interested to gain some insight as to why?

Sunofthemorninglight
nameno1had wrote:

What was "your " point.... ?

saw that comin' too!

lol

nameno1had

It is sometimes comical when the self centered, arrogant types accuse someone else of being self center after they were only referring to themselves in a manner of convenience...it becomes sad though when they are too stupid to see it and they think they have a good case... bet you didn't see your ignorance and arrogance though did ya...?

Sunofthemorninglight

lol

dragonair234
nameno1had wrote:
linuxblue1 wrote:

OK. A serious reply.

Chess is the most complex mind game that I have come across.

But I have to also say that chess has its faults. A game like othello [reversi] has no draws agreed, every game comes to a full conclusion, and the game is meaningful for any differences of ability because you try to win by as many disks as possible. Chess suffers a lot in those aspects.

On the contrary, I enjoy that in chess you aren't punished simply because of whether you go first or not. In Othello with perfect play a particular person wins... that to me is flawed...on the contrary, the quirks of chess give it it's character and substance...perfect play by both sides deserves a draw...

LOL. I'm such an English lit nerd. I was trying to figure out your connection between chess and Othello by Shakespeare. 

nameno1had

I never cared for shakespeare...Love Chess...othello is better than tic tac toe

George1st
Iknownotwhy wrote:

George1st

Apparently, other board games like Monopoly, Chequers, Scrabble, Poker etc are far more popular. 

Read the last sentance just above, hence this forum.

Not many people truly know themselves, by the look of your username, you actually do.

All the best...lol

DoubIe_Dragon

George, we're all friends here so please be honest.  Have you ever tried to quit smoking?

George1st
EnterTheDragon wrote:

George, we're all friends here so please be honest.  Have you ever tried to quit smoking?

I always promised myself that if I ever felt any diverse effects from smoking, I would quit. 

To answer your question, I haven't had any reason to even entertain such a thought, besides my initial promise to myself.

I hope this clears up any doubts you may have. : )

nameno1had

I hate to be critic of your choices George, but as a concerned friend you should stop. I have lost 4 people from smoking related disease. I smoked for 14 years and haven't smoked in 15 years and I still feel it. My great aunt smoked for 30 years and had quit for 30 when she died of a disease that hardened her lungs. My grandmother stopped smoking in 1994 and when she died in 2012, it was from lung cancer.

cabadenwurt

George the 1st: I don't often try to tell people what to do as we are free people but I agree with those who think that you should give up smoking ( the medical evidence is in, it kills people ). I used to smoke back when I was very young but managed to get away from it, one can give it up if one accepts that it is bad. Smile

AlCzervik

It's a little more difficult for many than just accepting that it's bad. I've read studies that show nicotine as addictive as herion.

Tantale

Chess is a drug?

Dischyzer

This is a most interesting thread. It's all over the place, covering games, sports, habits, addictions, egos, history, literature, movies . . .  all this to say the substance to chess is that it is a game that has all of these components and more.

It is a game played by millions of people and it's not based on luck. All the informationis on the board in front of you.

It is a sport. Many of the great champions talk of the importance of being in shape to be healthy enough to compete in demanding chess matches.

Habits/Addictions, why can't I open with something other than e4. Why do I move before checking if I have loose pieces. 

Egos. Chess is one person's mind vs. another. Since it's based on skill, there can be a feeling of extreme pride when successful or clever. But pride can be a killer and defeat can cause a person's self esteem to plummit. I like humbleness and honor in chess and I think it exsists more than people think.

History. Chess has been around for hundreds of years with a lot of documentation of games played.

Literature. Tons of books written and games annotated for people to read.

Movies. How often do you see a chess board or people playing chess in movies. I see it all the time. It's identifiable. It shows intelligence(but not in "How fast can we get the Forum locked).

End of rant. I love chess for many reasons beyond those above but the main reason is that it is a way to connect with people, share ideas and grow mentally stronger. 

Iknownotwhy
George1st wrote:
Iknownotwhy wrote:

George1st

Read the last sentance just above, hence this forum.

Not many people truly know themselves, by the look of your username, you actually do.

All the best...lol

George1st -when you are NOT looking for a simple "yes" or "no" Undecided