Forums

chess in art

Sort:
ElKitch
AndyClifton wrote:
ElKitch wrote:
@Andy those seem like great books! Havent seen that version before.

The only problem with them is that they weigh a ton (seriously...you'll break your back lugging them about).

they should get a good spot in the bookcase and when the time is right you pull them out :) I reckon they have text on the comics as well? In the 5 books I had/have an introduction is written by a celebrity that something with Gary Larson. Jane Goodall (monkeyresearcher) for instance. Very entertaining to read.

ElKitch

link: chessboard has squares :)

ElKitch
splitleaf wrote:

Happened upon this wonderful Brandon Friend, Jason Griffin collaboration some years ago.  Anyone guess the New York chess landmark included in the work?

No offense meant but.. I really like art. I am open to everything but I just keep on failing to see what special about work like you posted. Recently I have been to the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam which also has alot of modern art. At least half of the museum is stuff that is just completely random.. anyone could make it. Perhaps I should know more about it to appreciate it. But there is no skill in the making and I fail to see any beauty. This debate is as old as art, but still havent got a real answer to my "objections".

The one you posted even does have some compostion. In the Stedelijk Museum I saw complete randomness. Like 10x10 feathers stuck in thick white paper. Or the numbers 21, 22, 23, 24 written in neonletters etc.

Off the top of my head:

I take a white canvas. I get a thick brush and make fiercefull strike of black paint acros the canvas. Then I dip it in nice deepplue paint. From right I let it gently touch the canvas and while moving to left I push it more and more onto the canvas untill it eventually breaks through the canvas. I drip glue onto it so the brush stays stuck in the canvas and I spray the entire thing with 20 layers of transparant varnish.

I am 100% sure that it could be put up in the Stedelijk Museum without being noticed as not made by a master. And this is just one randomization from the top of my head. Maybe I should go into art.

j-pax

hey elKitch.... i also cannot understand why people honestly like such art....  for  me stedelijk museum would be a bad experience :) i am more a rijks museum type !!

RomyGer

Hey, ElKitch and j-pax : ... and what about the ugly new plastic outbuilding of the Stedelijk Museum ?   Even worldwide negative reactions for this horrible part !

GagHalfrunt

Artists are out of ideas ,don't even need skill.Just know the right people. Tattoos are true art , all you can take to the grave with you hahaha.Look how pretty

GagHalfrunt
splitleaf wrote:

Happened upon this wonderful Brandon Friend, Jason Griffin collaboration some years ago.  Anyone guess the New York chess landmark included in the work?

Can anyone guess why this is art ?to me even children make better art.

j-pax

i guess it's art because it fit's in "a style" it looks realy eighties art to me... i like the tattoos you posted better....

hey RomyGer... yeah the new part "the bathtub"... maybe they like to shock (i think so)...  bad for museum square as a whole.

ElKitch
RomyGer wrote:

Hey, ElKitch and j-pax : ... and what about the ugly new plastic outbuilding of the Stedelijk Museum ?   Even worldwide negative reactions for this horrible part !

Yes, not very nice either although I dont find it very disturbing. In an article was written that the ideas to build it originate from the 90's: the time when it didnt really matter what you built, as long as it was big and expensive.

j-pax

In an article was written that the ideas to build it originate from the 90's: the time when it didnt really matter what you built, as long as it was big and expensive.

this MUST be a sarcastic article .... a contemporary museum has to build into the future not the past  ....  i like timeless! So i am glad  the rijks museum is bigger better and more expensive !!!

i deleted very much text.... i am passionately  against "the ugly arts" !!!

ElKitch

It was about the Stedelijk Museum. The rijksmuseum has been done "in style" with the way it was. For the Stedelijk they wanted something modern (although the building it self was very classic) and this is the result:

Of that they said it was typically the 90's: just build something that cant be missed and is really expensive -then it must be good! Also ashame that the whole project -ofcourse- costed many millions more than planned in the first placed*. A comparison was made with a bankers building built in the 90's. It also was pompous and huge. Showing the great wealth of the bank. In these days it seems out of touch since bankers should be a bit more humble with all their moneywasting and living of the taxpayers money that saved them.

Admittingly, when you are under the big white tub it doesnt look so bad and when you are in it you dont notice it. But it still seems a bit obnoxious...

* If I was an Urban planner I would multiply every plan I made by 1.5 That would approximate the real costs better. 

Inside:

fburton

Disgusting! Yell

splitleaf

Since the first was such a hit here is other piece Friend and Griffin put together.  Discuss.

netzach

Inspired by ''Robocop'' ?

GagHalfrunt

Discuss? Auto spell mistake ? I think you mean to say ' disgusting'

j-pax

i cannot say it is disgusting.... some art realy disgusts me ... and it probably is what the maker intended....

a association with the work above.... it makes me tink about yuppies in the eighties.... this should fit in a interieur of that time.... i think it was cool that you pay much money for some thing easy to make... like the yuppies made easy money themself....  i think of the movie "wallstreet"

ElKitch

this one I like 1000% more than 1st one!

RomyGer

My son Rob just has sent me this one !  More info follows.

RomyGer

Further to post 870 : see design-dautore.com, it is the Umbra Wobble Chess Set,  uit het album  design for fun.    Also the other pictures are nice, see e.g. the guitar and the caramel apple...

j-pax

very beautiful chess set!!!  i cannot find the design for fun album on this website.... maybe you can copy paste the "page web adress" in your comment :)