Glenn Bautista
(b 1947)
Chesscape 1975

Tantale

Jaime Adrover
(b 1979)
Duality

j-pax

# 502 Takayuki Harada..what a geat artist!! and the bobby walters "chess anyone" (above this post) i like also!!

but what is between them, and after...i don't like to look at to say the least....  i have a theory:

in the good old days.. painters had students in their ateliers and later, good painters became teachers at the academies.. these people had social contacts and remained sane... later there where some younsters like van gogh wo would go their own (lonely) way... and went realy mad... or faked it, like picasso (imho!)

under the influence of baudelaire (paris at that time) the weird/obscure/ insane became realy fasionable... and in my opinion it remains there ever since...

also there is the design/ ideas "art"...  not my cup of tea!!  like m.duchamp being an early conceptual artist. where is the SKILL.

i realy wish the art academies, in the future, will be like the music acedemies, where Bach,  Mozart etc. are still teached!!!

j-pax
[COMMENT DELETED]
j-pax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sEtXsa5rny0

ClavierCavalier

I don't like the fact that I'm show in 471 with Lady Howe.

ClavierCavalier
j-pax wrote:

# 502 Takayuki Harada..what a geat artist!! and the bobby walters "chess anyone" (above this post) i like also!!

but what is between them, and after...i don't like to look at to say the least....  i have a theory:

in the good old days.. painters had students in their ateliers and later, good painters became teachers at the academies.. these people had social contacts and remained sane... later there where some younsters like van gogh wo would go their own (lonely) way... and went realy mad... or faked it, like picasso (imho!)

under the influence of baudelaire (paris at that time) the weird/obscure/ insane became realy fasionable... and in my opinion it remains there ever since...

also there is the design/ ideas "art"...  not my cup of tea!!  like m.duchamp being an early conceptual artist. where is the SKILL.

i realy wish the art academies, in the future, will be like the music acedemies, where Bach,  Mozart etc. are still teached!!!

I believe that these basic skills are still taught in art schools, but it does seem like there is more emphasis on creativity than skill.  The Bach and Mozart analogy isn't quite accurate since this skill you speak of would be more like musical technique for a performer which doesn't come from studying compositions, but can come from playing compositions and technical exercises.  Studying the compositions will help with composing, but there is a lot one will miss when looking at Mozart if they don't study basic music theory first.

Tantale

ShawN
(b 1962)
Market Mayhem

Tantale

Tianyang Shui
(b 1980)
Game

ClavierCavalier

The Tianyang Shui makes me think of a checkered cake.  Probably the thickness, the missing square, the pieces look like flames (candles) and the texture seems like it could be frosting.

Tantale

Angelo Sena
(b 1980)
Just a game