Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chess in art

• 18 months ago · Quote · #781

RomyGer

Hallo J-Pax : nice you try to draw Tarrasch, but I really hope you ment to say  that you should draw a picture of Emanuel Lasker ..., such in view of posts number 777 and 778 !    And, alas, no, I did not make that picture of the Lasker bust myself, I will come back on this subject, there are lots of memorabilia, e.g. see the official Lasker-Gesellschaft site ! site !

• 18 months ago · Quote · #782

j-pax

yes indeed i meant Lasker... no idea how i came up with Tarrash... maybe i saw a game between the two??:)

first i have to finish a Capablanca drawing i am working on.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #783

Crosspinner

RomyGer wrote:

My arts-and-crafts on this rainy afternoon, with thanks to the great Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher :

This is really neat.  At first glance I thought the queen was higher than the knight.  I have always enjoyed M. C. Escher, too.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #784

RomyGer

" The Chess Game " by Charles Bargue ( 1825-1883 )

• 18 months ago · Quote · #785

RomyGer

" The Veterans " by Richard Creifelds ( 1853-1939 )

• 18 months ago · Quote · #786

RomyGer

Chess in Russia started in St Petersburg : Petrov, Jaenisch, Schiffers and Chigorin played in the Coffee House  " Café Dominik ", since 1841, see this oil painting by G. Bakmanson, 1903 :

• 18 months ago · Quote · #787

RomyGer

Also "Arts and Crafts " belong in this forum.  This is a hollow chess board, made in the  WW-II , helping people to go into hiding underground and to leave for abroad, hiding small documents inside :

• 18 months ago · Quote · #788

RomyGer

Finally twice Emanuel Lasker again :

• 18 months ago · Quote · #789

Crosspinner

RomyGer wrote:

Also "Arts and Crafts " belong in this forum.  This is a hollow chess board, made in the  WW-II , helping people to go into hiding underground and to leave for abroad, hiding small documents inside :

What a clever idea.  I wished the chessmen were shown.

• 18 months ago · Quote · #790

RomyGer

This is the way Galina Satonina saw Lasker, who was a very talented mathematician as well.  He published several mathematical papers and (quote) his thesis on geometrical calculus remains relevant in the computer age (unquote)... 

• 18 months ago · Quote · #791

RomyGer

@ crosspinner : normal size chessmen, as this board has a normal size to prevent  suspicion...

• 18 months ago · Quote · #792

j-pax

Nice to see so many nice art pieces again... thanks RomyGer...in #784 my fantasy,  the cockatoo barks at the litlle wiener dog LOL.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #793

RomyGer

Without words :

• 17 months ago · Quote · #794

RomyGer

In  addition to post nr 778 , Emanuel Lasker in Berlinek town :

• 17 months ago · Quote · #795

RomyGer

And this text in Barlinek (not Berlinek) in Poland :

• 17 months ago · Quote · #796

j-pax

ha nice to see some art again and a very nice drawing #793... my first impressions was he looks like Aljechin ??

• 17 months ago · Quote · #797

RomyGer

@ j-pax : this drawing is by Charles D. Gibson, made in 1903, --  and Aljechin is born in 1892, so... just the looks...

• 17 months ago · Quote · #798

batgirl

RomyGer wrote:

Chess in Russia started in St Petersburg : Petrov, Jaenisch, Schiffers and Chigorin played in the Coffee House  " Café Dominik ", since 1841, see this oil painting by G. Bakmanson, 1903 :

It should be clarified that none of the above mentioned chess greats are in the painting.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #799

varelse1

Just came across this painting of a game between Ruy Lopez and Leonard di Cutri.

• 17 months ago · Quote · #800

RomyGer

@ batgirl , post nr 798 : thank you, you are right, I should have written two texts, one about the café and one with some names !

So : Café Dominik, a famous coffee house in St Petersburg, address Newsky Prospect nr 24, and opened in 1841.     The painting is by G. Bakmanson, around 1903, an oilpainting on canvas, now in the local State Museum of St Petersburg.

Than : Emanuel Schiffers ( 1850-1904 ) gave here his public lessons and Mikhail Tchigorin ( 1850-1908 ) started his carrier here around 1870.

Petrov and Jaenisch have nothing to do with the painting, okay, thanks !

Post your reply: