Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

chess in art

• 21 months ago · Quote · #821

RomyGer

• 21 months ago · Quote · #822

RomyGer

Instead of two collages, just four caricatures of Emanuel Lasker, the first two by Max Oppenheim.

Enough about chess greats, sitting on a desert island, thinking about chess, forgetting everything, reminds me of what W.S. Churchill said : It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma : but perhaps there is a key.

So, be happy, chess exists.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #823

RomyGer

And this is the picture I forgot to post with the previous one...

• 21 months ago · Quote · #824

DalaiLuke

Great stuff Romy, I hope you'll continue to post :)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #825

RomyGer

@ DalaiLuke : thanks, I like it, I am posting on other forums as well, after sixty years of chess playing and a lot of reference books, there are so many subjects...   What do you want to see or read ?  I dare to ask such question...   Bye !

• 21 months ago · Quote · #826

DalaiLuke

Well, all I know to date is your artwork and your contributions here ... but I'll check further :)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #827

splitleaf

RomyGer wrote:

What do you want to see or read ?  I dare to ask such question...   Bye !

Maybe something touching on the theme of a library full of unread chess books?

• 21 months ago · Quote · #828

ClavierCavalier

I assume that's meant to be a work of art and not something functional.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #829

splitleaf

ClavierCavalier wrote:

I assume that's meant to be a work of art and not something functional.

That's what I was thinking... unfortunately I don't have any information on it.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #830

RomyGer

Yes, indeed, for me too this is a great work of art because it proves again that people can have very original ideas and even can engineer and fabricate it, really "arts and crafts". So, my question is: who is the artist ?

And speaking of unread chess books, I gave them away, others are often interested in it.  What kind of books ?  For example on end games, in the beginning (60 years ago for me) we had adjourned games in the chess clubs, so at home you had to study the next moves.  Now we finish the game the same night, and that is better.

Than books on openings : as soon as you made a repertoire for yourself, you want to know more about them.    In the end, you don't check your notes anymore, so, get rid of these books.

On the middle game I kept a few books, describing principles of certain masters, attacking, defending etc.     And automatically one comes to learn about a certain person, in my case Emanuel Lasker, because he founded no "school", had no followers, how come ?  He had a strong Personality, described in various good books and biographies.

Finally : I kept and buy reference books, dictionaries and info on general chess items, a good source for my writing articles in club magazines.

This topic is about chess and art, books belong to it, and I am happy we do have a good book seller in the Netherlands, www.schaakboek.nl in Utrecht, have a look !

• 21 months ago · Quote · #831

RomyGer

Oh, sorry, Splitleaf, I just only now read your answer on the book case artist...    Perhaps I can search further for info...

• 21 months ago · Quote · #832

splitleaf

RomyGer wrote:

Oh, sorry, Splitleaf, I just only now read your answer on the book case artist...    Perhaps I can search further for info...

Looked again RomyGer, but could not find.  Sorry. 

• 21 months ago · Quote · #833

Martin_Stahl

splitleaf wrote:
    RomyGer wrote:

http://www.willshannon.co.uk/MISCELLANY-CART

It will take a few clicks to get to the actual picture from above.

• 21 months ago · Quote · #834

splitleaf

Martin_Stahl wrote:
    splitleaf wrote:
    RomyGer wrote:

http://www.willshannon.co.uk/MISCELLANY-CART

It will take a few clicks to get to the actual picture from above.

Thank you Martin (off the hook again!).

• 21 months ago · Quote · #835

ElKitch

not really art, but very nice :)

• 21 months ago · Quote · #836

ClavierCavalier

I don't know about that.  They're white. :-p

• 20 months ago · Quote · #837

splitleaf

RomyGer wrote:

Chess in Russia started in St Petersburg : Petrov, Jaenisch, Schiffers and Chigorin played in the Coffee House  " Café Dominik ", since 1841, see this oil painting by G. Bakmanson, 1903 :

Like the way this painting (786) gives the appearance of these souls being warmed by the fire of the chess board. :)  

[EDIT]  Also enjoy post 43 for a sort of similar reason, the place depicted in this painting, in contrast to the Bakmanson piece, seems dilapidated yet there is the possibility of the beauty of chess shinning there.  The heavy lines and murky style are part of what make it compelling too, as if it were a memory or something. 

• 20 months ago · Quote · #838

splitleaf

Don't remember seeing this one:

Samuel Bak  "Key"

• 20 months ago · Quote · #839

AndyClifton

ElKitch wrote:

not really art, but very nice :)

More art than most of this crap (Gary Larson is a genius!).

• 20 months ago · Quote · #840

ElKitch

Yes, I love him too! I bought all 5 books with the best of gary larsson. Wonder where they are?? :/

Post your reply: